C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Always wear your seatbelt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Always wear your seatbelt

This is what happens when a pcik-up truck runs a red light and plows into my baby Benz (this used to be a C240). None of the airbags deployed, but luckily I was wearing my seatbelt. Needless to say, the car is totaled.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
That sucks.

Somewhat surprised that the airbags didn't deploy with that much front end damage. Maybe since it looks like an offset crash with more damage on the passenger side - my guess is that there wasn't anyone in the passenger seat.

BT
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 PM

Thank God no one was in the passenger seat. I had just dropped the kids off at school.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by trench
That sucks.

Somewhat surprised that the airbags didn't deploy with that much front end damage. Maybe since it looks like an offset crash with more damage on the passenger side - my guess is that there wasn't anyone in the passenger seat.

BT
My mom's '89 300E's airbag did not deploy on a head on collision at 45mph. Mercedes paid for that one. Over 10 years later they are still behind in airbag technology.

Erik
Old 11-04-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
If you are not hurt, other than soreness, then everything worked as it should have.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Ouch, sorry to hear that , thankgod you are allright.That's weird the airbag didn't deploy??
Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 PM

Exclamation

Did you make an inquire to Benz to check out why it did not deploy? They do have an obligation to check it out.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:57 PM

2002 C230K
looks a little bit more like the pickup was so high, it ran over the top half of the front end, which would explain why there is so much front end damage with no apparent cabin deformation. might also explain why airbags didnt deploy, computer must have thought since there is no immediate danger to the cabin, there is no need to burn you with oxidizer. (sorry if you hear any cynicism, its not intentional, just been a bad day). but at least you're alright. that's what's most important.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:03 AM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
Airbags are set to fire based on a number of things, not limited to speed and forces. The forces are measured in a number of directions. If the forces are not exceeded beyond the specified level the bags will not deploy. Bag deployment has to be measured with risk of bodily damage of the bag itself. Was the truck that hit you the green ranger in the background? It doesn't appear to be. Based on the hood damage, I would think the truck would have been a bit higher than a Ranger, which might explain the damage. How fast were you and the truck traveling?

anyway, that really sucks, glad you are alright.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:03 AM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Kimberly
Thank God no one was in the passenger seat. I had just dropped the kids off at school.
Sorry to here about your accident

Hope everyone is ok

People just don't pay attention sometimes...
This is the reason I recently bought my little Benz...
Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 AM
rrf

Looks like the truck ran over you.

Might be interesting to have your lawyer talk to his lawyer about his bumper height, any mods he did to specifically raise the truck etc.

So glad you and your kids are OK.

Be sure to discuss the airbag issue with Mercedes.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:11 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Ouch!

Watching that pic makes me plain sad. I'm really glad you're ok.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why the airbags did not deploy. The seatbelts saved my life. Had I not been wearing them, perhaps the bags would have worked. I shutter to think about it. I'm pretty beat up, but alive. The other guy was driving a new Dodge Ram 1500. It's huge compared to my C240. After he hit me, he hit a traffic light. His vehicle is not in the picture. Luckily the accident wasn't fatal to anyone - drivers or pedestrians. I will definitely contact MB so that they are aware of the seatbelt issue. My only reason for posting the picture (other than the fact that I'm still very upset) is to remind people to wear your seatbelt. They really do save lives.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:25 AM

Glad you and your kids are safe.

The airbag issue concerns me. Safety and the numerous airbags were a big reason for my buying a M-B.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:34 AM
JeT

I would definitely take up the issue of the airbags with MB. The airbags should have deployed regardless of the height of the Truck or the direction of the force.

I'm not sure of the US rules (US doesn't have no fault compensation do they?) but you probably have a strong action in negligence for personal injuries and also an action in trespass for damage to propoerty...subject to any statutory limitiations. I'm not sure of this though as I am not familiar with US law.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by JeT
I would definitely take up the issue of the airbags with MB. The airbags should have deployed regardless of the height of the Truck or the direction of the force.
I disagree. Where there any injuries as a result of the airbag not deploying? No? Then the airbag did it's job (by staying in the steering wheel) and you have no case. The impact was obviously absorbed by the body structure and the seatbelt did it's job by keeping the occupant restrained. What's the problem?

I agree with grn300m. Front airbags only deploy in cases where the occupant is likely to suffer injurys as a result of hitting the wheel/dashboard (accelerometers measure the force and direction of impact to determine this). Airbags should NOT deploy during all impacts or "just because". This may have been the case with early SRS systems but, it's been proven that airbags can sometimes cause injurys by deploying when they are not needed. The seatbelt was in use and I believe the contoller takes that into account. The controller decided, in this case, that airbags were not needed and it was correct if there were no injurys as a result.

FYI: The controller also decides WHICH airbags to deploy, not just WHEN. So don't be suprised if you don't see side curtains in a frontal impact.

Last edited by avlis; 11-05-2002 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:39 AM
JeT

Originally posted by avlis
I disagree. Where there any injuries as a result of the airbag not deploying? No? Then the airbag did it's job (by staying in the steering wheel) and you have no case. The impact was obviously absorbed by the body structure and the seatbelt did it's job by keeping the occupant restrained. What's the problem?

No, I'm talking action against the other driver...not MB.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)

I agree with grn300m. Front airbags only deploy in cases where the occupant is likely to suffer injurys as a result of hitting the wheel/dashboard (accelerometers measure the force and direction of impact to determine this). Airbags should NOT deploy during all impacts or "just because". This may have been the case with early SRS systems but, it's been proven that airbags can sometimes cause injurys by deploying when they are not needed. The seatbelt was in use and I believe the contoller takes that into account. The controller decided, in this case, that airbags were not needed and it was correct if there were no injurys as a result.

FYI: The controller also decides WHICH airbags to deploy, not just WHEN. So don't be suprised if you don't see side curtains in a frontal impact.
Excellent evaluation Avlis, IMO. There are many risks with airbags deploying unnecessarily, and it is probably a credit to MB that they didn't do so. From the picture, it appears that the cabin was pretty much intact.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I think this matter should be looked into. After all, how do any of us know if the airbags didn't deploy because it was purposely programmed that way, or because they were faulty to begin with?
Old 11-05-2002, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by oggle
I think this matter should be looked into. After all, how do any of us know if the airbags didn't deploy because it was purposely programmed that way, or because they were faulty to begin with?
Thats why MB lost their case to us. Their airbag should have deployed, but was faulty. BTW it costs $1,200 to test the airbag, and its up to you to have done. Basically they try to set it off, but then you need to replace the bags ($1,200).

Erik
Old 11-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by JeT
(US doesn't have no fault compensation do they?)
I'm pretty sure this varies by state. I think some states do have No Fault Compensation.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:44 AM
JeT

Originally posted by MarkL
Excellent evaluation Avlis, IMO. There are many risks with airbags deploying unnecessarily, and it is probably a credit to MB that they didn't do so. From the picture, it appears that the cabin was pretty much intact.
That's the beauty of hind sight...its an exact science. If the MB airbags are designed to go off in a more serious accident, fair enough. But by the looks of this accident there was a high probablity that serious injury could have occurred.

I guess this is a moot point coz the fact of the matter is serious injury didn't occur, right? But I would want to make sure they do go off if serious injury is a 'certainty'.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by JeT
But by the looks of this accident there was a high probablity that serious injury could have occurred.
I see a different picture. I see the front bumper, hood, and engine pieces torn from the car. The windshield is intact and the door appears functional (jam isn't deformed). From the firewall back, the car looks undisturbed. From this, I imagine that there was not as much frontal impact as it may seem. So, at first glance, the picture looks worse than it really is (in terms of occupant safety). I guess we'll never know because we weren't in the car...luckily.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Kimberly, I'm glad you are fine (just a little beat up) and your kids didn't have to live the bad experience.
Those new Dodge trucks are big and high standing, how fast was it going? how bad did the truck look after the wreck?

Thanks for sharing this story, I always wear my seat belt, and I'll be more concious to continue to use it now.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC

I totally agree with you! Airbags didn't have a real need for deploying on this accident, as severe as it looks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Always wear your seatbelt