C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 C230 Audio System Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230
2006 C230 Audio System Questions

I have an 06 c230 and don't really know much about the factory stereo. I have the base cd package, no options, no cd changer. What I want to know is:
1. Is there an amplifier somewhere other than the HU?
2. Are there multiple amplifiers?
3. If there is an amplifier, does it power all the speakers or just certain ones?
4. If there is an amplifier or multiple amplifiers, where is it?

I plan on using a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 to run a full sound system, but I've read conflicting things on the various forums about the system. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Eric
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
The standard factory '06 radio has nothing special about it. No amps, no fiber optic- non of that crap, easy to work with.

I just finished up my install a few weeks ago. I am still doing some tuning now- but it's close. I took the interior down to the metal aside from the dash still being in the car. Ran all new wiring (as not to cut ANY factory wiring including the factory speaker wiring) and sound deadened the trunk, doors, and floor. The trunk has a false floor with the tops of the amps sitting flush with what appears to be the trunk floor. I will be competing in SQ competitions next season.

I have an RF 3sixty for the processing and a mix of JBL, Arc Audio, and A/D/S/ speakers/amps.

Everything needs a hair more break-in time as well as a little EQ'ing once everything is broken in- but so far I love it. Certain aspects of it even sound better than my Rainbow setup in my Focus.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 PM

2006 C230
That's awesome to know. It's been 5-6 years since I've been to a USAC competition, but I think I will try to build a system and give it a shot next year. I've taken apart a lot of cars, but never one of these. How is it? When I was still installing in the late 90's I know that Mercedes and any other European car we worked on was about as confusing as it got for disassembly. Any tips or tricks I should know about interior removal?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
My only bit of advice is go slow (but- being an x-installer, you already know that). This car isn't my daily driver, so I had it apart over a period of 3 months or so. I was actually suprised at how easy it was. All of the trim/panels more or less attatch the same as any newer car- they just fit a lot more snug. Depending on how much you get into it- take lots of pictures and notes as to what connects where and such, so it's easier getting things back together.

One thing that's cool about these cars is along the door sills/floor bottom there is a black plastic tray/conduit (for lack of a better word) that works well to run all of the wires through, as not to have lumps in the carpet where you can see your wiring. If get into it and get stuck- let me know , and I will do my best to help you out.

I don't plan to make any waves when I compete- just something to do to see how my work/goals/budget I set, stack up against others.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by eric281
I have an 06 c230 and don't really know much about the factory stereo. I have the base cd package, no options, no cd changer. What I want to know is:
1. Is there an amplifier somewhere other than the HU?

The amp is inside the HU.

2. Are there multiple amplifiers?

Yes, there are four discrete amplifiers.

3. If there is an amplifier, does it power all the speakers or just certain ones?

All six speakers are powered by the amplifers. The front has 2 woofers and 2 tweeters. The rear has two woofers.

4. If there is an amplifier or multiple amplifiers, where is it?

If you had the HK premium system the amp is on the wheel arch on the passenger side in the trunk. The premium system connects the amp to the HU over a MOST fiber optic loop. The speakers are connected to the amp with copper wire. The premium system also has an integrated Subamp and subwoofer speaker on the rear package shelf, also on the MOST loop. If you have a CD changer, Sirius Satellite Radio, Telephone, or Tele-Aid they are all on the MOST loop for signal and control.

I plan on using a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 to run a full sound system, but I've read conflicting things on the various forums about the system. Thanks for any help you can give me.

A R/F 360.2 will not change much besides making your wallet a bit easier to sit on. The stock system is hard to beat with the exception of some dynamat under the package shelf and inside the doors, the rear fenders, and trunk lid. For those music selections that need more thump, an Infinity Basslink II with optional 4 channel amp has been well received by some C class owners. Your own ears, however, are the best judge as to what is pleasing to you.

Eric

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
I'm going to bite my tongue for the most part, but I have to ask- have you ever used a 3sixty.2? Do you know what it's capable of or how to use all of the features it offers? Processor, EQ, crossover, everthing you need to run an active system rather than passive.

For the run of the mill person that would purchase a system from Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, etc....you are correct- don't waste your time or money upgrading the stock stereo. But- I get the impression you are in the know, and most likely wouldn't buy cheap mainstream crap.

Alpine also offeres something like the 3sixty.2. I just shopped around for both and decided whichever I found the better deal on first- I would go with. I know several people (none are MB owners) who compete with a stock HU and either of the two processors and do quite well.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
That probably sounds like I am being an ***.

More or less- what I was getting at is this: If you are the type of person who will go to the local store, not audition several setups, and just buy some big box brand, run everything passive, and just set it and forget it- don't waste your time.

However- if you truely have an ear and a love for car audio- a 3sixty or similar Alpine unit is worth the time and money. As is the money spent on true audio equipment, as well as the time to do all the little things on the install (mdf and clay when mounting the mids/midbass', etc...) and tune.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 AM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
I'm going to bite my tongue for the most part, but I have to ask- have you ever used a 3sixty.2? Do you know what it's capable of or how to use all of the features it offers? Processor, EQ, crossover, everthing you need to run an active system rather than passive.

For the run of the mill person that would purchase a system from Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, etc....you are correct- don't waste your time or money upgrading the stock stereo. But- I get the impression you are in the know, and most likely wouldn't buy cheap mainstream crap.

Alpine also offeres something like the 3sixty.2. I just shopped around for both and decided whichever I found the better deal on first- I would go with. I know several people (none are MB owners) who compete with a stock HU and either of the two processors and do quite well.
Heh, nice reply. I went by a car stereo shop that a buddy of mine is working sales at, and he started pushing the Alpine piece on me. It seems like the Rockford piece is better and something I would like more, except that I love the Imprint feature from Alpine seems amazing. Since I'm not going to go as far as building kick panels the time correction seems like it would be fantastic. Like I said, I've been out of the game for a while, and hadn't seen any tech like this. It looks like there are some time correction features in the 3Sixty.2 also. Have you used them? If so, how do you set it up? I'm assuming it's not as perfect as sticking a microphone in the car and having it happen instantly.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

2006 C230
I'm also wondering what's under my center grill on my dash and the two grills on my rear deck. I'm assuming with my basic stereo package that those three spots are empty. If so, how hard is it to get under that grill to add a center channel if I want to?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

The standard factory '06 radio has nothing special about it. No amps, no fiber optic- non of that crap, easy to work with.

I just finished up my install a few weeks ago. I am still doing some tuning now- but it's close. I took the interior down to the metal aside from the dash still being in the car. Ran all new wiring (as not to cut ANY factory wiring including the factory speaker wiring) and sound deadened the trunk, doors, and floor. The trunk has a false floor with the tops of the amps sitting flush with what appears to be the trunk floor. I will be competing in SQ competitions next season.

I have an RF 3sixty for the processing and a mix of JBL, Arc Audio, and A/D/S/ speakers/amps.

Everything needs a hair more break-in time as well as a little EQ'ing once everything is broken in- but so far I love it. Certain aspects of it even sound better than my Rainbow setup in my Focus.
Sorry to threadjack OP, but had a quick question to Bumpnzx3.

Did the W203 you installed the system in have fold down rear seats? If not, how did the system sound? I have a system ready (JL 1000.1 and two 12W6v2's), but I'm not sure if it's worth putting in since I won't be able to get most of the sound into the cabin.

Again, sorry for thread jacking.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Eric- I'm not really sure what is under that grille/mesh. As best I can tell- nothing is there. No speakers nor does it apear to be HVAC. Like you said- possibly a center channel if the car had the upgraded system. I didn't mess with it though since I wasn't doing a 5.1 system.

I more or less set everything up on mine by trial and error. It took a little fiddling to get my laptop bluetooth to connect to the RF bluetooth. Most likely because I was using a cheapie bluetooth USB dongle/adapter since my laptop didn't already have bluetooth. If you get onto RF's site there is a way to get onto a mach screen that shows how all of the adjustments work on the unit. All adjustments are done in real time- it almost reminded me of the adustments on Windows Media Player- but a little more in depth.

Dblock-
My car does not have the fold down seats. When I was installing everything- all of the interior was out of the car- seats included. There are grilles and openings in the back deck (at least on my '06) for what I would assume would be speakers in the upgraded system. There is foam blocking those openings from inside the trunk. You could cut that out- I did not, as I want the car not to have any permanent modifications. Also- the little armrest (ski pass) that folds down in the middle of the seat- you can take that plastic out thats behind there. I left the carpet on the seat back in place that way it still looks stock. So- between the foam/holes in the deck and leaving the armrest down and the air/sound coming through the carpet on the seat back- everything sounds fine.....not too much different from when I started to tune w/o the seats in there at all. Not that it matters- but I have always been a fan of single sub setups- I only have a single 12.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM

2006 C230
I've always been a single sub guy also. I competed in the 1-150 watt class for the longest time and usually ran a single 10" sub. Now it looks like USACi has done away with power classes for SQ, so I'll be using a little more power and plan on running a beefy 12" sub. I'm moving up a bit because like you, I dont want to make any modifications to the car, and I am hoping that the bigger sub will make up for the solid build of the Mercedes.

As far as the trunk build goes, any luck finding matching carpet?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Believe it or not- I accidentally ran across it at AutoZone. I was there picking up some brake-clean and saw it on the rack. I thought it looked pretty close- and for $6- why not give it a shot. Aside from buying it from Mercedes- I don't think you will match the black any closer. I will look to see if I still have a wrapper from it to get a brand name for you. I bought the last two rolls they had. I have checked at other AutoZones for it- and they didn't carry the same brand. It had a grey label and a top view of a boat, truck, and car with a yellow outline to represent where the carpet would go in each.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM

2006 C230
Can I buy a roll of the carpet from Mercedes?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Not sure if you can or not. I was going to look into it until I stumbled across the stuff at AutoZone. It has a very thick pile- very close to the same as the Mercedes stuff. The color is a perfect match. No one will even notice the difference unless you tell them.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Dblock-
My car does not have the fold down seats. When I was installing everything- all of the interior was out of the car- seats included. There are grilles and openings in the back deck (at least on my '06) for what I would assume would be speakers in the upgraded system. There is foam blocking those openings from inside the trunk. You could cut that out- I did not, as I want the car not to have any permanent modifications. Also- the little armrest (ski pass) that folds down in the middle of the seat- you can take that plastic out thats behind there. I left the carpet on the seat back in place that way it still looks stock. So- between the foam/holes in the deck and leaving the armrest down and the air/sound coming through the carpet on the seat back- everything sounds fine.....not too much different from when I started to tune w/o the seats in there at all. Not that it matters- but I have always been a fan of single sub setups- I only have a single 12.
Thanks for the help bro! When I get home I'll check the car out and see if I have the same openings. From memory, when I lowered the armrest in the back, it looked pretty solid (might not have the ski-pass? ). As a last resort I was thinking of porting a hole through the armrest, but like you, I really don't want to do any permanent modifications.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Fold the armrest down- you will see plastic. Go around to the trunk of the car (assuming the seat is still installed). Take the clips off that hold the carpet on the back. That will reveal the bolts/screws that hold the plastic piece I was talking about earlier. Take that off- then reclip the carpet. That way when you have the armrest folded down the sound can pass through much easier- but it will still appear factory, more or less.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Fold the armrest down- you will see plastic. Go around to the trunk of the car (assuming the seat is still installed). Take the clips off that hold the carpet on the back. That will reveal the bolts/screws that hold the plastic piece I was talking about earlier. Take that off- then reclip the carpet. That way when you have the armrest folded down the sound can pass through much easier- but it will still appear factory, more or less.
So I took the clips out of the back carpet piece, and it still won't budge? :dunno:

Did you have a steel beam on the top that covered the carpet peice partially?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
have a look at the bottom of the seat back, where the carpet backing meets the seat frame. if i remember right- there's a long 'c' shaped channel/clip that's molded to the edge of the carpet that wraps around the bottom of the seat frame. that should be the last thing holding the carpet on the back of the seat.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM

have a look at the bottom of the seat back, where the carpet backing meets the seat frame. if i remember right- there's a long 'c' shaped channel/clip that's molded to the edge of the carpet that wraps around the bottom of the seat frame. that should be the last thing holding the carpet on the back of the seat.
My cars at Tweeter right now getting the system installed, when I get it back I'll take a look. Thanks for your help bro!