C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Steel rims for the winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe
Question Steel rims for the winter

Hi All,

I was just told by a couple of tire shops in my area (Montreal) that steel rims for the coupe have to be purchased at MB. Is this true?

Can't I just use any 16' rims with the correct bolt placement?

Thanx for your help
Old 11-12-2002, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes or no, I think you can buy steel rims from Tirerack also. But by the time the rims get to your place, it will probably cost the same (or even more) than you buy it from the delaership.

You can put any 16" wheels on provided the offset is correct, a C-coupe looks pretty ugly on steel rims, better get some take off alloys!!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
No, they're wrong. You can get 'em at Tirerack, and I got my set at the local shop. And no, mine are not MBs.

Might want to try some other shops in the area. FYI: on my car, they had to use a different size of lug bolt, so might want to make sure that they know what they're doing before they mount those puppies. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:25 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Why don't you buy some stock alloy's off of e-bay or something? They are going for around $300-$400 US WITH TIRES! They are lighter, stronger and MUCH better looking

I have a set for sale for $350, but I am GUD for you (Geographically Undesireable - an old dating term).
Old 11-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Steel rims for the winter

Originally posted by moscit
Hi All,

I was just told by a couple of tire shops in my area (Montreal) that steel rims for the coupe have to be purchased at MB. Is this true?

Can't I just use any 16' rims with the correct bolt placement?

Thanx for your help
I'd be willing to part with my new C320 alloys only. I'm probably not as "undesirable" as patronus (sorry about the patronizing statement guy:p) since I live here in the midwest. Interested?

Last edited by amdeutsch; 11-12-2002 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM

CL230 Kompressor
Thumbs up winter rims

In the Montreal area you can call a place called Pneus Premier Choix in Laval. - 963-2114. They can set you up with 16 inch rims ( that fit on the Benz) you might just have to get the shorter bolts from the dealer. The rims will cost about $80 each, they also sell Nokian winter tires... By far the best winter tires available.. They put Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone to shame.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:34 PM
taylor192

I have 15" steel wheels from a 1999 C-class on mine right now. The offset is 35 mm compared to 37mm, and no problems, just looks realy tight around the front calipers.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:01 PM

My friendly, local family-owned tire shop got me a set of steelies (and the right bolts) for about $175. I had to pop for another $30 to get some wheel covers shipped from Tire rack. The local auto parts places don't stock the 16" wheel covers.

I ran Nokians last winter. No snow around here, of course, but the tires were a pleasure to drive. With the michelins and dunlops I can't wait to get them off in the spring, hate how they are on the highway. The Nokian (MRV's) were very tolerable. The local shop also gave me a price within a couple of bucks of the mail order places.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:49 PM

Re: winter rims

Originally posted by Dean
In the Montreal area you can call a place called Pneus Premier Choix in Laval. - 963-2114. They can set you up with 16 inch rims ( that fit on the Benz) you might just have to get the shorter bolts from the dealer. The rims will cost about $80 each, they also sell Nokian winter tires... By far the best winter tires available.. They put Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone to shame.
Thanx Dean, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Have you purchased from them?
How was your overall experience with them?

Mark
Old 11-12-2002, 10:59 PM

CL230 Kompressor
I've been dealing with them for over 10 years. They are great. I have always bought my tires from them whether it be summer replacements or winters (nokian). If you do alot of upnorth driving I recommend you get the Hakka 2 with factory metal studs. I heard they are really good for intense winter driving. The Hakka 1, which are not studded will do fine for city driving. By the way they also have a supplier for low priced mags if you want to go that way for the winter, just ask them. If you can talk to Stephane he owns the place. Mention my name he knows me pretty well.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:02 PM

CL230 Kompressor
I noticed you have a K&N on your coupe where did you get it? How much did it cost ? Does it make a difference?
Old 11-12-2002, 11:06 PM

Dean the K&N is on the Ducati not the coupe.

I've been looking at putting on one on the coupe but have heard that there's not much of a diff. The model filter for the coupe is the same model number as that for the SLK (confirm this by seaching the forum).

Mark
Old 11-12-2002, 11:09 PM

CL230 Kompressor
Sorry. I realized it after I entered the post.. But it was to late I had posted my mistake... Anyways that tire place in Laval is great.. you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:16 PM

CL230 Kompressor
Just to let you knowI took off my (17') Evolution mags for the winter and got a set of 16' MAK wheels from a place called Grandprix Import in Montreal... And yes I am running Nokian Hakka 1. I got the MAK STING model. I got a really good deal as they had been scuffed in transport.. But who cares they are winter wheels. They are the MOMO mag distributor for Canada. Check them out at http://www.grandpriximport.com
Old 11-13-2002, 11:19 AM

Dean, thanx very much for the info.

BTW what did the MAKs cost you? Given the price of the rims, I may opt for a similar solution if the price is right.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:16 PM

CL230 Kompressor
It was a special deal ....they were damaged goods they could not sell to a store. They normally do not sell to the public. They are a distributor but try contacting them maybe they can they can set you with some mags. I believe the wheels I got were worth about $300. But I paid way below that.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

weights

Are alloys lighter than steelies????
Old 11-13-2002, 10:36 PM

Okay, million dollar question:

Michelin Pilot Alpin or Toyo Garit HT???
Old 11-13-2002, 10:54 PM

CL230 Kompressor
Wink

Between the two choices I would go with the Toyo Garit HT. Michelin Alpines suck !!! I have a friend who put alpines on a c coupe and, after the 1st snow fall we had 10 days ago, had them removed by the dealer. The dealer then installed Nokian Hakka2 with metal studs and driving on ice and snow felt like driving on dry pavement. (I must admit he lives in the Laurentiens) But if you do not want to go Nokian .. Toyo is a better choice. Toyo is a better dry highway tire.. the sidewalls are stiffer than the Nokians. Toyo is a mix of performance and winter grip.. But in the midst of massive 30 cm (over a foot blizzard) you will wish you had your wheels wrapped with Nokians. Anyways if you do not want Nokian go with Toyo they are a much better choice the crap michelin has to offer in terms of winter tires.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
OK,

Before you put steelies on your beautiful coupe, I though it might help to see a picture. Here is Tommy's car with steelies.

I'm telling you Birkenstocks for MB - yuck.

Just had to take a shot at Tommy since it's been a while.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 11-14-2002, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
steelies rock (pun intended)

You should NOT want alloys on a car in winter conditions. The front wheels and other cars will throw stones (because they spread real gravel on roads that get real winter) sideways and rearward - this will trash the finish on any rim or even hubcap. Black painted wheels in steel are by far the best choice. Removable black vinyl bras are also a must for such conditions. Stongard for painted surfaces will be shredded by crushed gravel. Get it for the lights though (the thick stuff).

If you are going to any decent ski resort for example, your car should look just like Tommy's, but maybe with a removable bra too. City nerds that try to get by with two snow tires on alloys, or worse, all season tires, are laughing stocks in areas that get any real winter conditions. Not to mention they're far more likely to do something stupid on the snow. If you want to buy 4 new alloys for winter tires, fill your boots, but be aware that the wheels' finish will be destroyed if you drive in ACTUAL winter conditions.

You should see my Peugeot's winter steelies after 5 years' use in the mountains of BC. Not pretty, lots of surface rust from gravel impacts, but it's better to have rusty winter wheels than to destroy some nice (and more expensive) alloys.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by galaxygrrl
Before you put steelies on your beautiful coupe, I though it might help to see a picture. Here is Tommy's car with steelies.

Just had to take a shot at Tommy since it's been a while.
Well, an Orion Blue w/steelies still trumps a black with stock 16's!

BTW: my ccoupe with my winter steelies is running fine. How's your car doing?

And how about them Giants?
Old 11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Tommy,

OK, my car is in the shop again! You win on that one.

But, let me remind you still owe me my booty for our bet from the Lakers v. Nets series. I want my prize. Not standing my your word...huh? Figures. :p

Beth