C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio 10 installed and I am not impressed :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-17-2002, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Lynn
Sometimes the system won't reproduce the music as the composer intended. That is why I have the bass cranked up in the car. Sometimes the system does reproduce the music as the composer intended. That is why my home system is set to flat.

I don't want to rattle people's windows when I drive by, but the Bose system in the coupe needs a little more bass. I am pleased with the mid-range and highs.
DITTO for the sedan.

Hasn't anybody heard about loudness control anymore?
Isn't that what BOSE is advertising: Natural sound even at low volume!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
I have cd changer install b4 i got audio 10.. and you can tell a big diff at least when I play rave music it makes a big diff, my friend who has a c32 sit in my car play the cd and then goes back to his car play the same cd came back and ask if I can get a audio 10 for him =)
Old 11-18-2002, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by Outland
BTW, the Audio 10 is a real ugly unit, its not worth the worth the hassle just for a little extra bass....replacing the wimpy as all hell stock subwoofer would yield much better results.
it IS ugly !!
Old 11-18-2002, 10:37 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Originally posted by bagwell
it IS ugly !!
it cost about $250, its factory HU and retain most form/functions, it plays CDs, it install in about 30-45min.....its a proven method for most around here as best value.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bagwell
it IS ugly !!
While the Audio 10 may seem ugly to you, to me there's nothing uglier than an aftermarket radio with a bunch of very tiny buttons setup in a very complex manner with miss-matched colored lights that don't match the rest of the dash surrounded by a cheap plastic adapter plate. The Audio 10 is what the German designer had in mind when they designed the W203. The Audio 30 was an afterthought by MB USA, probably to save costs by using an asian radio manufacturer.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
While the Audio 10 may seem ugly to you, to me there's nothing uglier than an aftermarket radio with a bunch of very tiny buttons setup in a very complex manner with miss-matched colored lights that don't match the rest of the dash surrounded by a cheap plastic adapter plate.
MEGA-dittos!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:49 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
While the Audio 10 may seem ugly to you, to me there's nothing uglier than an aftermarket radio with a bunch of very tiny buttons setup in a very complex manner with miss-matched colored lights that don't match the rest of the dash surrounded by a cheap plastic adapter plate. The Audio 10 is what the German designer had in mind when they designed the W203. The Audio 30 was an afterthought by MB USA, probably to save costs by using an asian radio manufacturer.
I'm with you on that, I went aftermarket HU shopping prior to buying the Audio 10 and couldn't find a HU with a plain vanilla display with large text and large buttons. Everything had a graphical EQ and enough mechanics to tilt the face in all directions just to insert a CD,

I only wish the Audio 10 was lit up a bit more, at night I had a hard time with getting CDs in and out.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
While the Audio 10 may seem ugly to you, to me there's nothing uglier than an aftermarket radio with a bunch of very tiny buttons setup in a very complex manner with miss-matched colored lights that don't match the rest of the dash surrounded by a cheap plastic adapter plate.
I agree. Both the Audio 10 and most aftermarket units are ugly.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250

TRUE - nothing worse than putting an aftermarket HU in a MB !!!!

that's why I'm getting COMAND !!!!

looks even better !!!

don't know about sound quality tho.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:12 PM
JeT

So what's more important here....having a system that looks good or something that sounds good?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:54 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
I agree that the factory unit looks better than the aftermarket units, I tried to stick it out using the factory hu, even bought the changer, replacing the entire factory stereo is some of the best money I ever spent, not as pretty, no steering wheel controls, but wow it sounds like a MB stereo should
Old 11-20-2002, 07:12 AM

Exclamation

I believe that a vehicle should be not desecrated using anything but what the factory installed (or using factory options) radio, if someone does not like the radio they have the option not to buy the vehicle.

I have worked on a lot of vehicles that have aftermarket radios and most of them look like a hack job especially when you remove the trim around the radio and see the wires going everywhere. Sometimes I have to remove the radio to work on the ignition and it is scary what you get into.

I have learned to have the customer sign a waver so I will not be responsible if the aftermarket radio does not work after I remove it to work on the Ignition lock assembly.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:10 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Audio 10

I agree with Buell (Carl) for once. The Audio 10 looks like it belongs there. The aftermarket Alpine units that fit work but like most other Japanese stuff is designed to look like "Tokyo by night" when the unit is on and all the buttons lite up.

I think it's a matter of age here. When I was young I replaced the gearshift knob with a Budweiser tap handle. I thought it looked so cool. Now I can see what a dork I was. I also had the dice on the mirror and the garter belt....bring back any memories guys?

The bass for a given setting is much deeper with the Audio 10. It's really a personal thing. If you want your car to look like it's full of stuff out of a J. C. Whitney catalog............go for it. But pleeeeeeeeese take a photo of it and stuff it away somewhere in a box. About twenty five years from now take it out and see it you still think it was cool........may surprise yourself.

I can't believe anyone has a problem working the controls on the Audio 10. I downloaded the manuel but found out playing with thing for about ten minutes you could figure out all the controls without it.. The stock unit is one that makes you dig around to change stuff.

Just my take on this.........you either like it or you don't. It's your $$$$$$$$$ do what you like

Old 11-24-2002, 08:22 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
I wish the factory setup worked better because it does look nice, I just could not live with a stereo that was so lacking, I dont think the alpine hu's look bad, maybe not as good as the factory, but I always keep my car 8to10 years, I can not imagine living with a stereo that is just average, or a little below for so long, btw I am almost 40