C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio 10 installed and I am not impressed :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2002, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audio 10 installed and I am not impressed :(

First thing first - many thanks to Session for his meticulously crafted instruction. The procedure was a breeze

Now to the point. It does not sound any better than the stock HU. May be because I have no manual to learn about the Audio 10 features but I found the sound to be no different or even worse. I feel no improvement in bass and the overall performance at all.

There are no comparable features to the stock "EXT". I couldn't scan any shortwave station.

Can someone please enlighten me with a link to a manual before I really jump to the conclusion prematurely ?

Thanks

Session - it this the reason you upgraded so soon?
Old 11-16-2002, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Benzer, why did you replace the stock head unit with an Audio 10? I am not familiar with the Audio 10 at all, so I hope you don't mind my asking.

Also, will you be able to install an OEM 6-disc CD changer (trunk mounted) and interface it with the Auto 10. See my previous post above. TIA.

Last edited by benggolf; 11-17-2002 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Audio 10 installed and I am not impressed :(

Originally posted by Benzer
There are no comparable features to the stock "EXT".
That "EXT" feature cannot be found on the AUDIO 10 CD. Search on here but I believe that is part of the std HU with the BOSE.

I couldn't scan any shortwave station.
Do you have any compatible stations in your area?
Old 11-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I've seen the specs for the Audio 10 and the US unit.

If the Audio 10 came stock in US cars, and the US unit was in Euro cars, people in the US would be running out and buying the US unit to dump the Audio 10. And raving about how the US unit has a numbered touchpad, looks better, and can actually tune into US A.M. stations.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Maybe I should clarify.

My friend bought his C200 kompressor from the grey market souced from Germany, so I presume the Audio 10 on his car is Euro spec.

So, does it mean that the trunk mounted CD changer will still work?
Old 11-17-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SoCal, the Audio 10 has something most MB cars will never have, an indash CD and I prefer that to a CD changer although I have both. Second you truly can not compare the sound, the Audio 10 on a bass setting of 5 is like the stock HU at a setting of 10. I cringe at what the US radio sounds like when I get into loaners (a C240 and a E320 this past week).
Old 11-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
True - the single in-dash CD is a personal preference. I much prefer the 6 CD changer in the glovebox, like the stock MB system (my BMW has a single CD in dash player - I find it inconvenient for a lot of reasons, including having to have all the CDs loose in the car instead of in a changer). I don't like the 1 disc in dash player at all, but personal preference.

As far as sound quality, Benzer seems to have no problem comparing the sound of the Audio 10 to the stock HU.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:19 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
i think most ppl. who upgraded to audio 10 cd from stock audio 30 didnt have cd changer so most are comparing cassette/radio to CD sound which of course is incomparable. I got the audio 10 cd today and was just happy to be able to play cds and i agree bass seems to be better (i have BOSE) and at setting bass half on audio 10 equals to audio 30's full bass. i had a chance to listen to C sedan bose today w/ cd changer and since he has BOSE EXT settings (ambiente) it sounded more "surround" but clarity is about the same as audio 10 really. overall for about 250 bucks i am very happy to have a decent cd player period that work with my wheel controls (very important to most).
Old 11-17-2002, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by tberry
i think most ppl. who upgraded to audio 10 cd from stock audio 30 didnt have cd changer so most are comparing cassette/radio to CD sound which of course is incomparable. I got the audio 10 cd today and was just happy to be able to play cds and i agree bass seems to be better (i have BOSE) and at setting bass half on audio 10 equals to audio 30's full bass. i had a chance to listen to C sedan bose today w/ cd changer and since he has BOSE EXT settings (ambiente) it sounded more "surround" but clarity is about the same as audio 10 really. overall for about 250 bucks i am very happy to have a decent cd player period that work with my wheel controls (very important to most).
Somebody got the specs on these two units...I'm guessing the A10 has a +/-12db range on the bass and treble, with the Bose HU having only a +/-6db range on the bass and treble. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. BTW, the Audio 10 is a real ugly unit, its not worth the worth the hassle just for a little extra bass....replacing the wimpy as all hell stock subwoofer would yield much better results.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:14 AM

Exclamation

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
SoCal, the Audio 10 has something most MB cars will never have, an indash CD and I prefer that to a CD changer although I have both. Second you truly can not compare the sound, the Audio 10 on a bass setting of 5 is like the stock HU at a setting of 10. I cringe at what the US radio sounds like when I get into loaners (a C240 and a E320 this past week).

I agree with Buell, The Audio 10 CD is excellent! The overall unit is great, I do not have to fart around with a CD changer, I can pop a CD in and go. The bad thing is the AM stations however I do not use that. I did get a manual for the Audio 10 CD and I was able to do many of things with it I did not know about (before I found the book). The sound is ten times better, I have seen (on this forum) others install an aftermarket radio in their Benz and I have to admit it looks horrible, I think it downgrades the vehicle especially when you cut into the wiring of a vehicle (to install an aftermarket radio), that is when you can cause problems with voiding the warranty and chances are you will cause the vehicle to have wiring problems that directly link to the computer acting funny affecting the vehicle and creating system problems.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:27 AM
Almost a Member!

C230 Coupe
C SportsCoupe has an Audio 10 manual.

Off subject: Who's interested in a C Coupe meet on the east coast? Please see my post. (Sorry, could not miss the opportunity.)
Old 11-17-2002, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
As far as sound quality, Benzer seems to have no problem comparing the sound of the Audio 10 to the stock HU.
No offense to Benzer, but some people can't taste the difference between a sirloin and a ribeye, either. Would you take that as a FACT that the two steaks taste the same? I had the 6-disc changer with the AUDIO 30. I hated the "weak" sound of the AUDIO 30, plus, since my wife and I alternate between driving the car, I wanted an in-dash CD that I could keep my favorite CD-R in while not having to fumble with the changer, which is where she keeps here CD's loaded. I consider myself somewhat of an audio purist. I usually leave tone controls "flat". With tone controls set flat on both the AUDIO 30 and 10, I find the AUDIO 10 does have stronger bass and an overall cleaner sound.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I've noticed none of you Audio 10-ophiles ventured to replace a Bose head unit with the A10....
If you'd adjust the Bose EXT settings to Ambiente...I'm sure you wouldn't complain about flat sound or spacial expansion issues.

RTFM
Old 11-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Rick
I've noticed none of you Audio 10-ophiles ventured to replace a Bose head unit with the A10....
If you'd adjust the Bose EXT settings to Ambiente...I'm sure you wouldn't complain about flat sound or spacial expansion issues.

RTFM
Audio 10 CD manual does not show the BOSE EXt feature ala std HU.

What kind of AUDIO 10 CD do you have that shows this feature?

RYFM
Old 11-17-2002, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Rick

RTFM
There is no such thing as a Bose head unit. There is an additional feature in the Alpine headunit which is enabled when connected to a Bose amp. Several people with Bose have swapped the Alpine HU for the becker Audio 10.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM

C200K
that did it... now I'm totally confused. When I ordered my car I ticked the Audio 10 option... looking at the head unit on my car it says Audio 10 in cursive script... so I guess I do have the audio 10... but then why on earth do I have a tape deck instead of a CD player (my changer is in the glovebox).?
Old 11-17-2002, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
that did it... now I'm totally confused. When I ordered my car I ticked the Audio 10 option... looking at the head unit on my car it says Audio 10 in cursive script... so I guess I do have the audio 10... but then why on earth do I have a tape deck instead of a CD player (my changer is in the glovebox).?
There are two versions of the Audio 10. One has a cassette player and one has a cd player. In, the US, neither of those is offered by MBUSA. We get a crappy Alpine cassette player. Many people are buying Audio 10 cd players from the German ebay site, and swapping out the Alpine headunit.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:19 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. WHY DONT U PEOPLE READ!! sorry to shout but the last few posts have been retarded. I DID replace my audio 30 BOSE system with an Audio 10 CD. I DID leave mine on 'Ambiente' and it was okay but still crap. BOSE and non BOSE are same HU but diff amp and speakers/sub. There are 2 different Audio 10 HU. An Audio 10 CD and regular Audio 10 (cassette) which I'm sure (sorry) is crap compare to regular Audio 30. Biggest advantage of Audio 10 CD is in-dash CD player (which play both CD-R and CD-RW by the way) and RDS function (which RDS also shows up on trip computer which I thought was cool. :p :o
Old 11-17-2002, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had plenty of loaners, usually C320's that have Bose and I played around with the Ambiente or Driver settings and didn't think it made the radio sound better, different, but not better.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Originally posted by tberry
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. WHY DONT U PEOPLE READ!! sorry to shout but the last few posts have been retarded. I DID replace my audio 30 BOSE system with an Audio 10 CD. I DID leave mine on 'Ambiente' and it was okay but still crap. BOSE and non BOSE are same HU but diff amp and speakers/sub. There are 2 different Audio 10 HU. An Audio 10 CD and regular Audio 10 (cassette) which I'm sure (sorry) is crap compare to regular Audio 30. Biggest advantage of Audio 10 CD is in-dash CD player (which play both CD-R and CD-RW by the way) and RDS function (which RDS also shows up on trip computer which I thought was cool. :p :o

Ok, prove it to us. I believe a pic of your AUDIO 10 CD with that 'EXT' capability screen will satisfy us all. All the posts on here, and there have been alot, never mention this feature. If yours does, give us the details so we all can make sure to get the correct one.
Or do you mean you left your factory HU in the 'Ambiente' setting before removing it thinking that that feature would be stored somewhere so that when you hooked up your AUDIO 10 CD it would be preserved?
Old 11-17-2002, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
amdeutsch, I think they're saying that when they still had the Audio 30, they used the Ambiente setting and it didn't make the sound better as Rick claimed a couple posts up. So they all still decided to get the Audio 10. No one said the Audio 10 had the EXT settings. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
People, you SHOULDN'T have to adjust tone settings to make a good quality sound system in an average car (some reflective surfaces & some absorptive surfaces) sound "good". I MUST play with the tone controls on my old Ford F-150's radio to make it sound decent since it is a very crappy system. Anyone "into" high quality audio will tell you that most equipment with the name BOSE on it sounds like crap. Having said that, some people choose to tailor a good sounding system via tone controls to suite their taste. I find your average Joe likes "boom & sizzle" in his music just like he'll often turn up the sharpness, etc. on his TV beyond the "proper" settings ( the sharpness setting on TV's adjust high video frequencies like treble controls control high frequencies in audio).
Hello. My name is Jim, and I am an audio/videophile
Old 11-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Matt230K
amdeutsch, I think they're saying that when they still had the Audio 30, they used the Ambiente setting and it didn't make the sound better as Rick claimed a couple posts up. So they all still decided to get the Audio 10. No one said the Audio 10 had the EXT settings. Hope this helps.
Thanx

Just having fun on here. I do know what you are talking about. A buddy of mine in Germany checked it out for me. He is an MB tech over there.

Again: thanx for your support.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Jim Banville
People, you SHOULDN'T have to adjust tone settings to make a good quality sound system in an average car (some reflective surfaces & some absorptive surfaces) sound "good". I MUST play with the tone controls on my old Ford F-150's radio to make it sound decent since it is a very crappy system. Anyone "into" high quality audio will tell you that most equipment with the name BOSE on it sounds like crap. Having said that, some people choose to tailor a good sounding system via tone controls to suite their taste. I find your average Joe likes "boom & sizzle" in his music just like he'll often turn up the sharpness, etc. on his TV beyond the "proper" settings ( the sharpness setting on TV's adjust high video frequencies like treble controls control high frequencies in audio).
Hello. My name is Jim, and I am an audio/videophile
Hi Jim. Nice to me you.

I agree. Music is intended to be listened to the way the composer intended. Corrections for the environment are acceptable. TOO many people just automatically yank up the BASS and TREBLE to the max.
Ever listen to remakes by a different artist. I my humble opinion that tells it all.
I cannot and will not speak to VIDEO other than to say. If I can't see it good enough I'll put on my glasses.

I'd like to close with: Play/view it like you like it and accept differences of opinions gracefully.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sometimes the system won't reproduce the music as the composer intended. That is why I have the bass cranked up in the car. Sometimes the system does reproduce the music as the composer intended. That is why my home system is set to flat.

I don't want to rattle people's windows when I drive by, but the Bose system in the coupe needs a little more bass. I am pleased with the mid-range and highs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Audio 10 installed and I am not impressed :(