C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

03 V6 dipstick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
03 V6 dipstick question

I tried to get my dealer to get me the dipstick info so I could make one. He now tells me that on 03s MB has plugged the hole that was availbale on 02s and that even they have no other choice than to trust the FSS.
What a crock. Anybody want to try theirs and get that info for us?

Thanx a lot.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
That would mean that the dealer can't use the tube to siphon the oil from above during maintenance services, either. Wonder how they will use their famous oil siphons in the future, hmmmm?

I am making a "shop" dipstick for mine. I will post pictures and measurements when through.

In the meantime, can you introduce a 3 foot length of 3/16" braided cable (a larger diameter won't fit) through the tube all the way to the sump? It will bottom out after 29" of insertion (measured from top of tube), and you'll have oil on the cable once removed. If you can, then your dipstick tube is like mine ('01).

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-21-2002 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by MB-BOB
That would mean that the dealer can't use the tube to siphon the oil from above during maintenance services, either. Wonder how they will use their famous oil siphons in the future, hmmmm?
I'll ask him tomorrow. I'm gonna love seeing his face on that one.

I am making a "shop" dipstick for mine. I will post pictures and measurements when through.

In the meantime, can you introduce a 3 foot length of 3/16" braided cable (a larger diameter won't fit) through the tube all the way to the sump? It will bottom out after 29" of insertion (measured from top of tube), and you'll have oil on the cable once removed. If you can, then your dipstick tube is like mine ('01).
I honestly don't know where he siphons the oil from. I just know where to put it in. STUPID ATTACK ARGH:p
Won't calibrating it be very hard? Full should be easy, but with all the fun of the "readings" of the FSS how will one know?

Thanx MB-BOB

Last edited by amdeutsch; 11-21-2002 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
A "shop" dipstick is a generic one used by the dealer for all models. It measures the oil level from the BOTTOM of the sump. Stick is inserted until it bottoms on sump, then removed. For the Sedan, the level should be between 148mm and 168mm. So, it's a simple matter to mark the cabling at these points from the end...

My dipstick is made, but I don't have a digital camera, so will have to wait until I finish the whole roll.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Actually, why would the dipstick have to "bottom out"? Isn't it only necessary to insert it far enough to reach just below say 2 quarts low? This is how "normal" dipsticks work. The reading range is marked from the top. The dipstick should have a "stop" at the top to be sure it is fully inserted. Using the bottom of the sump as the "stop" seems a bit inaccurate and unnecessary. I mean the 148-168mm range can be determined from the top of the dipstick once the proper placement is known.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Just got back from the dealer. Guess what? 03s no longer have the siphon tube. Therefore no dipstick usage. He tells me he has to perform oil changes thru the plug at the bottom of the pan now. But he thinks that the C-class FSS will now give oil level readouts in 1/2 quarts etc. He is supposed to check it out and get back to me.
Any confirmation from guys who own 03s?

P.S.
Went there to get my 6 dB to 3 dB setting taken care of (glad I did that) and to once more try to get dipstick info out of him.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:09 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by MarkL
Actually, why would the dipstick have to "bottom out"? Isn't it only necessary to insert it far enough to reach just below say 2 quarts low? This is how "normal" dipsticks work. The reading range is marked from the top. The dipstick should have a "stop" at the top to be sure it is fully inserted. Using the bottom of the sump as the "stop" seems a bit inaccurate and unnecessary. I mean the 148-168mm range can be determined from the top of the dipstick once the proper placement is known.
MarkL, Pit-Pony in the thread below posted pictures of the "Shop Dipstick." It's used for all MBs, and comes with a reference sheet with the correct depth of oil ranges for each model, measured from "bottom" up.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...p+AND+dipstick

I agree, once you have measurements (from the bottom to top edge of siphon tube) you can cut and calibrate a permanent dipstick using "from the top" measurements. I guess one can buy a blank dipstick (with stop at the top) and cut it to length, once you have the correct top-down measurements. I want to look into this, because the blade-type dipsticks carry less extra oil up the tube than the round cable dipstick I've fashioned.

Amdeutsch, wow, that's interesting... no tube at all. I can't recell if it was you, but someone with a new 03 posted that the 03s don't have the "dyno mode" feature, which measures the oil in .10 quart. We need to confirm that from a couple of sources. Was that you? If not, let me know and we'll talk you through dyno mode to see if it works on your car.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Amdeutsch, wow, that's interesting... no tube at all. I can't recell if it was you, but someone with a new 03 posted that the 03s don't have the "dyno mode" feature, which measures the oil in .10 quart. We need to confirm that from a couple of sources. Was that you? If not, let me know and we'll talk you through dyno mode to see if it works on your car.
Nope, it wasn't me. Thanx for the offered help MB-BOB.

I don't see too good anymore; with or without glasses.
Could anybody post a pic of the engine showing the tube to use for the dipstick. That way I can verify what the dealer told me. Not that I don't trust him but I already had to show him instructions on how to do things (downloaded from here of course thanx to all of you).