C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

nitrous kit in C230k coupe. has anyone done it? how many shots?wet or dry?Thanks.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
nitrous kit in C230k coupe. has anyone done it? how many shots?wet or dry?Thanks.

Curious how many here has nos kit in the c230k engine. I'm concern with whether the engine can hold up about 35-50 shots. Also I'm concern how good MB dealers are at detecting the presence of a nos kit (I know a shop that can put in a kit very discretely). All my planned mods are "bolt-on" except for this nos kit and i know my car is on lease but figure I can have fun for about 3 yrs until lease is up (then take apart everything and sell back....i can seal where the nos kit has been as well and put covers back on, etc). I am planning to do pulley and chip first so figure another 35-50hp couldnt hurt. :p

*Your UNBIASED opinion/input/feedback/suggestion is appreciated.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
i think it could handle a 35-50 shot. You will IMO need a new intercooler and ecu i think.

I think if you do NOS on a stock car its ok. But with as pullied car you might be pushing it a little hard. But thats just speculation
Old 11-21-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
i think it could handle a 35-50 shot. You will IMO need a new intercooler and ecu i think.

I think if you do NOS on a stock car its ok. But with as pullied car you might be pushing it a little hard. But thats just speculation
good point about the pullied car doing that. do u think Upsolute will custom chip for you for pulley AND Nos? also Nos gives you 35-50hp at wheel not crank (i assume the pulley+chip if i'm luck will get about 25-30hp at wheel on dyno).
Old 11-21-2002, 12:45 PM

03' E55 AMG
tberry - u cwazy!

anyways, you get those spacer on yet, and how much did u pay for those bolts?

NOS, gee wiz, wally.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by lhoang
tberry - u cwazy!

anyways, you get those spacer on yet, and how much did u pay for those bolts?

NOS, gee wiz, wally.
i know i know promise my self before i bought the car "hmm...just chip and pulley will be enough"...but then i got greedy. No spacers yet (work is killing me) i'm gonna stop by at discount tire tomorrow and get the bolts. My friends and I are gonna put them in this weekend. I got your email and will be compiling list soon (sorry again been crazy)

*So howz your set of wheels going? what r u on 8th? 9th set?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:17 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I did a search on MBWorld for this topic. This THREAD seems to offer the most lively discussion. Hope it helps.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Youre asking for trouble with nos on a forced induction car, unless its a port injection setup with a standalone computer...but youre going to do this anyway so.....

Never use a dry kit. They should call these things "kaboom" kits. Often the stock injectors do not have the capacity or fuel pressure to pump enough fuel to keep up with the NOS. Especially if your running a pulley. The pulley makes more boost...more boost needs more fuel, or Kaboom, you get detonation. Be mindful of your fuel and octane settings...one of them, IIRC will limit the engines ability to "pull back" the timing in the interests of using high octane fuel. Should detonation set in, this could be very dangerous. Given how lean they run with a pulley, I'd go for stage 3 on the fuel and build in a little insurance that while you're spraying at 5500RPM full throttle, she doesn't go lean on you. You'll loose a little of the HP the pulley would normally give you...but that's better than a hole in the top of your piston. I'd be nervous with running more than a 50 or 75 shot, given that this car is already pressurized. I'd stick the money that a NOS kit is going to cost you towards a new intercooler. More boost is what's going to make this car fly reliably.

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy

Nope, the stock intercooler is fine for NOS. NOS doesn't need ANY intercooler. The stuff is sprayed after the intercooler anyway, and by its very nature its quite cold. You might find that a 50 shot gives you a '60' effect due to the extra cooling you get.

As long as you have enough fuel, you'll be fine. I used to run nitrous on my Saturn Coupe. A fifty shot was enough to go out gunning for Integra Type R's and any Beemer shy of the M3, and a 75 shot made guys in muscle cars nervous. Get a good kit...if you have a failure and the ******* stops spraying fuel, you'll have a nightmare. I'd get a button AND a window switch(use the window to limit when the button can be activated), you'll use a lot less NOS(it gets expensive after awhile)

Good luck, and let use know when you blow the motor!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Outland
Youre asking for trouble with nos on a forced induction car, unless its a port injection setup with a standalone computer...but youre going to do this anyway so.....
As long as you have enough fuel, you'll be fine. I used to run nitrous on my Saturn Coupe. A fifty shot was enough to go out gunning for Integra Type R's and any Beemer shy of the M3, and a 75 shot made guys in muscle cars nervous. Get a good kit...if you have a failure and the ******* stops spraying fuel, you'll have a nightmare. I'd get a button AND a window switch(use the window to limit when the button can be activated), you'll use a lot less NOS(it gets expensive after awhile)

Good luck, and let use know when you blow the motor!
Well you make a lot of sense and i'm definitely 2nd guessing my decision. I had a friend who had audi 1.8t motor and had 75-100shot on stock motor it it was fine (for years). I figure the MB 2.3L engines can handle that much. How about just a 35shot wet kit with fuel setting stage 2-3? I'll defintely get full kit with bottle warmers, valve open/close switch, and 'window' switch. if figure on top of ECU+pulley the other mods get VERY expensive (if any) and not really worth the money to hp ratio PLUS they're not quite "bolt on" anymore. If you have any other bolt on good performance mods after pulley+chip please let me know. thanks.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by tberry
Well you make a lot of sense and i'm definitely 2nd guessing my decision. I had a friend who had audi 1.8t motor and had 75-100shot on stock motor it it was fine (for years). I figure the MB 2.3L engines can handle that much. How about just a 35shot wet kit with fuel setting stage 2-3? I'll defintely get full kit with bottle warmers, valve open/close switch, and 'window' switch. if figure on top of ECU+pulley the other mods get VERY expensive (if any) and not really worth the money to hp ratio PLUS they're not quite "bolt on" anymore. If you have any other bolt on good performance mods after pulley+chip please let me know. thanks.
The VW 1.8T motor is no more stoutly built than the MB111. That's not the worry...its the detonation. Detonation will destroy just about any motor, even a built up one. Hell, on a fresh motor you can shoot 100shots over and over, and it will be fine, unless you have detonation...detonation is a condition that very few people understand...it has nothing to do with the construction or condition of your motor. Its all about fuel, air, heat, and compression. Overshooting can blowup a motor, but that's a different kind of disaster, usually maninfesting itself in blown gaskets, burnt valvles and seals, etc... A lot of people get obsessed with NOS...its fun, but its also a risk.

The VeeDub's(Audi 1.8s are the same motor) can turn out copious amounts of HP just by turning up the boost, why waste money on the NOS? And being they are turbocharged, they don't have to pay the parasite(turning the supercharger with engine power), meaning more of boost goes to developing useable wheel HP, not just turning over the compressor. Using NOS to spool up a large turbo works good, but as a "bolt on" mod, its a lot of work for what can be a very problematic 'lifestyle accessory'.

Get the pulley first. See how you like that.

also Nos gives you 35-50hp at wheel not crank (i assume the pulley+chip if i'm luck will get about 25-30hp at wheel on dyno).
BTW, it doesn't work that way. You get 50 HP(roughly) at the crank from 50 shot...Naaaawwwwwwssss can't determine how effecient your driveline is....each type of car has a different amount of driveline loss. On AWD cars, its horrendous.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
At some point I think you need to think about the stress this is putting on the drivetrain. At what point does the stress become too much for the tranny and diff? I'm sure one of our resident experts here could give you some real information, but it would seem to me that having 300 hp going through a driveline designed for 192 may be pushing it a little.

BTW tberry didnt you mention you got the 230 because you were spending too much on mods? Doesnt seem like its working
Old 11-21-2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by AndrewK
BTW tberry didnt you mention you got the 230 because you were spending too much on mods? Doesnt seem like its working
yeah i blame it on MBWorld and such sites....dammit

*Yeah does anyone know how much can the auto tranny in C230k handle hp/torque wise? i know the audi tiptronic was about 250-260hp/lb/ft.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by tberry
*Yeah does anyone know how much can the auto tranny in C230k handle hp/torque wise? i know the audi tiptronic was about 250-260hp/lb/ft.
I'm pretty sure that AMG doesn't upgrade the transmission internals for the C32 from the standard slush box present in the C class line-up. Therefore the stock tranny should be able to handle at least the same amount of hp and torque as a C32 (and probably more).

Cheers, BT
Old 11-21-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
I was under the impression that AMG did tranny upgrades, but maybe that was only on some of the older (W202 C43, W210 E55) AMGs.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by trench
I'm pretty sure that AMG doesn't upgrade the transmission internals for the C32 from the standard slush box present in the C class line-up. Therefore the stock tranny should be able to handle at least the same amount of hp and torque as a C32 (and probably more).

Cheers, BT
so how does AMG claim that the C32 shifts 35% quicker than the touch shift tranny?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
so how does AMG claim that the C32 shifts 35% quicker than the touch shift tranny?
Software.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Lynn
Software.
ohh, never knew that.

thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 12:08 AM

At some point I think you need to think about the stress this is putting on the drivetrain. At what point does the stress become too much for the tranny and diff? I'm sure one of our resident experts here could give you some real information, but it would seem to me that having 300 hp going through a driveline designed for 192 may be pushing it a little.
Sorry to quibble, but it's excess torque not hp that hurts drivetrains.

I recall reading in the November issue of "Mercedes Enthusiast" something about the software limits that AMG was putting on some diesel engines. They allowed 330 ft-lbs with the auto, and 310 with the manual. ( I was just idly browsing, so don't trust my memory on the exact figures. ) The Dec issue is not out yet so you might still be able to pick up a Nov issue if you move quickly.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Robert Schrader
Sorry to quibble, but it's excess torque not hp that hurts drivetrains.

I recall reading in the November issue of "Mercedes Enthusiast" something about the software limits that AMG was putting on some diesel engines. They allowed 330 ft-lbs with the auto, and 310 with the manual. ( I was just idly browsing, so don't trust my memory on the exact figures. ) The Dec issue is not out yet so you might still be able to pick up a Nov issue if you move quickly.
Give this man a Cee-gaar!

At any rate, the tranny is the least of your worries. I remember the same argurments against boosting my Saturn. The tranny won't handle it...yada yada yada. With the bolt ons, exhaust and Nitrous, the car was probably putting down 230HP thru the stock driveline when under 75 shot. Nothing ever broke. The clutch did start to slip, but that was the result of years of city commuting. Disc and Plate were fine...fingers wore out. If the power gets so out of control(ha!) the clutch will likely slip first. Even if it doesn't, replacing a tranny is a whole lot less work in a RWD car . So, get hopping, and lets blow that effer up!

P.S. Can I have your very cool Climatronic unit if you blow up your engine?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I was under the impression that AMG did tranny upgrades, but maybe that was only on some of the older (W202 C43, W210 E55) AMGs.
I think sometimes they utilize a different torque converter, but I beleive this upgrade has more to due with power delivery rather than being "beefed up" to handle the excess power. The rest is, as Lynn mentioned, due to software upgrades. So, the standard transmission should be able to withstand the extra torque, but probably can't utilize it as efficiently as an AMG transmission does.

Cheers, BT