C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

KONI sport help!??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
KONI sport help!??

Hi guys,

I installed Koni FSD shocks and eibach pro-kit springs in my car some time ago. Since them I noticed some problems with the knoledge of the koni dealer.
So now I'm gonna change them with koni sport, but I want some feedback from you guys.

Since I have lower springs doesn't the shocks need to be prepared also? (I had this combination before in my previous cars and when ordering the shocks I asked to be with lower travel)

The FSD have the normal travel (even more than my stock sport shocks!) and koni dealer is saying that the koni sport have the same travel as FSD!!! WTF!!
They told me on some travel limiter but for my car they didn't have sure and they say that the shock is prepared to work with 5cm lowering!

And I have another problem, the car is jacked up at front 1cm!!
I have friends with stock shocks and eibach pro-kit and the car is lower 1cm at front!

Koni FSD vs Stock sport
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
It appears as if your OE struts had lost their pressurization. That would account for the change in ride height with the new struts, regardless of any spring change. My 8741-1412 Koni’s also allowed additional rebound (droop) travel at full extension. They exacerbated the interference between the Code3 anti-roll bar links and the bar itself, while in that position.

Their damping is acceptable for daily use. If you’re not utilizing grossly oversized tires or wheels with an improper offset, trim the jounce snubbers (bump stops) in order to exploit their permissible travel.

Related post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....65&postcount=3
Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
It appears as if your OE struts had lost their pressurization. That would account for the change in ride height with the new struts, regardless of any spring change. My 8741-1412 Koni’s also allowed additional rebound (droop) travel at full extension. They exacerbated the interference between the Code3 anti-roll bar links and the bar itself, while in that position.

Their damping is acceptable for daily use. If you’re not utilizing grossly oversized tires or wheels with an improper offset, trim the jounce snubbers (bump stops) in order to exploit their permissible travel.

Related post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....65&postcount=3
I'm using stock AMG 18" but only concearned about the shocks working at bottom travel! In my previous BMW the koni sport had lower travel!

Already done what you show in your other post when installing the FSD (I have from factory c32 anti-roll bar link)

Can you explain better or post some pics: "trim the jounce snubbers (bump stops) in order to exploit their permissible travel. "??
My Inglish is not so good
For what I'm understanding, it can be lowered more!?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
No worries. Your English skills are better than the majority of my colleagues.

The bump stop is visible in its dust boot, on the right –

It merely limits the ultimate travel (in jounce) of the suspension while it is encountering peak compression loads. It has no discernable effect on ride height while at rest.

Most W203 chassis are supplied with the 203 320 09 44 stops. It unnecessarily limits downward travel in most applications, tire clearance permitting. Our North American sport package includes shorter 203 320 08 44 front stops. When I installed the Koni's, an additional ½ inch (13mm) was safetly trimmed from MB’s shortest OE snubbers. The additional travel is readily appreciated, in that it helps to reduce understeer when approaching the limit of adhesion. No tire-to-wheel well interference has yet been encountered.

-edit-
more pics and tech data here: http://www.resuspension.com/Bump-Stops-p-1-c-92.html

Let us know if you would like further explanation.

Last edited by splinter; 03-25-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installed the KONI sport yesterday, and Wooo, what a diference!!!

I was thinking I was driving my ex.E46 BMW (wich had the same setup), I only can realizes that koni FSD sucks and don't work well with lower springs!

I'm only runing KONI sport at front at the moment, dealer sent the rear ones as sport normal and I wanted the sport with rebound adjustment...

But now I can turn
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, the dealer said that for the rebound adjustment, its recommended to run with the factory settings (as it come and as it is) and its not recomended to adjust many times, because the adjust system tends to wear out!!
I didn't know that... its this true!?