C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket handbrake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket handbrake

Has anyone seen a Sport Coupe with a hand operated emergency/parking brake?
I suspect that mechanically it would be fairly simple to do, but making it look good would be difficult.
Any ideas on this? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
where would you put it? left side like on a jag?
Old 11-30-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by dswildfire
where would you put it? left side like on a jag?
Between the seats, just behind the gearshift lever, where it belongs.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:27 PM

I'm not a big fan of the foot-brake either, but it does clean up the look of the interior a lot. I just don't liek stepping on the footbrake, just doesn't seem right.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

C180K
i am sure the girls do like if the handbreak is missing from there DD

[s]
Old 12-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vyse
I'm not a big fan of the foot-brake either, but it does clean up the look of the interior a lot. I just don't liek stepping on the footbrake, just doesn't seem right.
Why don't you just put the car in "Park" and forget about the footbrake?
Old 12-01-2002, 04:51 PM

2002 C230K
well it'd be nice to have the handbrake in the appropriate position, but i dont think there's enough space
Old 12-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Banned

well it'd be nice to have the handbrake in the appropriate position, but i dont think there's enough space
That, and 95%+ of MBs are sold as automatics, with handbrakes that are never used, so MB made the right decision to free up space in the center console area by moving a space-taking device that the vast majority of MB owners never even touch.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 PM

2002 C230K
really? 95% of owners don't use them? well i guess it makes sense because of the automatics, but still, would be nice option for those who do use them, like to use them, or may use them for "creative driving."
Old 12-01-2002, 06:02 PM
Banned

'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Originally posted by MacPhisto
Why don't you just put the car in "Park" and forget about the footbrake?
It is not a good idea to use Park only. Park simply sticks the parking pawl into one of the cogs in the gear. Without using the parking brake, the pawl obviously has to deal with a lot more stress, especially if there is a slope. Always apply your parking brake.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Drew_ML
It is not a good idea to use Park only. Park simply sticks the parking pawl into one of the cogs in the gear. Without using the parking brake, the pawl obviously has to deal with a lot more stress, especially if there is a slope. Always apply your parking brake.
I disagree. An automatic transmission failure caused by not using the parking brake would be rare indeed. What normally wears are the clutch packs - has nothing to do with the parking brake.

You are correct, there is a pawl that goes into a "gear" (it is actually a splined shaft) to hold a car stationary on an automatic transmission car. However, the pawl and splined shaft serve only one purpose: To prevent the car from moving when it is in park. The pawl and gear do nothing to make the car go.

So, if parking without the handbrake caused a failure, it would be a failure of the pawl and/or gear. The car would still drive, but when you put it in park, it would not be locked in place and could move (like it was in neutral). Has anyone EVER heard of that failure? Likely not. It would be highly unlikely, even if the parking brake was never used.

No one uses the parking brake in an automatic. Go to a dealership and look at all the automatics, none will have the parking brake on.

All that being said, sure, it can't hurt to use the parking brake. But, its a redundancy that is not really necessary. And, even if it was necessary, 95% of automatic drivers still wouldn't use it anyways. No biggie.

Last edited by MacPhisto; 12-01-2002 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MacPhisto

No one uses the parking brake in an automatic. Go to a dealership and look at all the automatics, none will have the parking brake on.

All that being said, sure, it can't hurt to use the parking brake. But, its a redundancy that is not really necessary. And, even if it was necessary, 95% of automatic drivers still wouldn't use it anyways. No biggie.
Are you sure you're the "final" authority on the use of parking brakes? Of course, I always use it on my 6-spd C240, but I also always use it on my other car, an automatic, and a lot of other people I know use it too. I always set the brake first so the brakes take the brunt of the force of holding the car in place. Then I place the gear into "park". The fact that you've seen a lot of automatics on a car lot without the brake being set doesn't relate to anything about drivers "in the field". It could be one guy at the dealer who moves all the cars and is too lazy to set the brake. Just my $.02.

Last edited by MarkL; 12-01-2002 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:21 PM

I drive an auto, I too use my handbrake (or foot brake in this case) whenever I park. Just a habit. Contrary to your observation, I find lots of people I know use handbrakes. Not saying you're wrong, just saying my observation.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MarkL
Are you sure you're the "final" authority on the use of parking brakes? Of course, I always use it on my 6-spd C240, but I also always use it on my other car, an automatic, and a lot of other people I know use it too. I always set the brake first so the brakes take the brunt of the force of holding the car in place. Then I place the gear into "park". The fact that you've seen a lot of automatics on a car lot without the brake being set doesn't relate to anything about drivers "in the field". It could be one guy at the dealer who moves all the cars and is too lazy to set the brake. Just my $.02.
No, of course I'm not the final authority.

However, I'd be willing to bet that if you go to any parking lot in the U.S., and checked the parked automatics, 95% of them would not have the e-brake on.

Do you disagree?

(Of course, there is a very small minority like you, that uses a parking brake in an automatic.)
Old 12-01-2002, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
The fact that you've seen a lot of automatics on a car lot without the brake being set doesn't relate to anything about drivers "in the field". It could be one guy at the dealer who moves all the cars and is too lazy to set the brake. Just my $.02.
I'm the guy at my dealer that moves all the cars and I don't set the brake, not because I'm lazy, well maybe a little. It's easier not to, especially moving so many cars. But I don't think the number of cars without e-brakes set on a dealer lot is relevant, which MacPhisto did correct in his last post. The cars spend a very small fraction of their life at the car lot. It is more important how they are treated by the ultimate customer throughout their long life.

And even though I do take the easy way out, and trust me it is much easier with the number of cars to move (A lot of the time I'm halfway out the door coming to a stop and then putting into park), I don't consider this to be affecting the life of the transmission. If it did, I would probably set the brake, because someone has to own these cars someday and pay for repairs. I could be wrong, but this is one thing I don't lose sleep over.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:41 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
I think it also depends on geographical location. I've had 5 automatic cars and I almost NEVER use the hand/foot break unless I'm parked at an incline (which is rare here in Houston, TX). If you live in San Francisco or something I can see why u'd use it often.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
A large percentage of vehicles that have four wheel disc brakes depend on the parking brake to adjust the pads on the rear discs. I'm not entirely sure the MB system behaves the same way, but every other car with 4 wheel discs that we've owned has had it set up that way.

By not setting the parking brake, you may actually be letting your brakes go out of adjustment.

FWIW, I'd have prefered the centermounted parking brake lever like many of my other cars have had, if for no other reason than the great wintertime antics it provides. That said, I love the dual level storage compartment(heated, or airconditioned!), and adjustable armrest in the Benz...and when I forget to set the parking brake(on occasion) before I leave the car, its much easier to just stick my foot back in and push it down, than it would be to crawl back in the car to pull a lever. Each setup has its own advantages. A left side floor mounted handbrake would be nice too.

Last edited by Outland; 12-02-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Are you sure you're the "final" authority on the use of parking brakes?
Didn't you read his credentials in the other thread? He has nine, count 'em, nine magazine subsciptions...of course he knows everything. Why do you argue with him?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:25 AM
BANNED FOR VIOLATING TOU

C230k
No handbrake means we can't drift.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by Outland
A large percentage of vehicles that have four wheel disc brakes depend on the parking brake to adjust the pads on the rear discs. I'm not entirely sure the MB system behaves the same way, but every other car with 4 wheel discs that we've owned has had it set up that way.

By not setting the parking brake, you may actually be letting your brakes go out of adjustment.
The parking brake on our cars is a drum setup that lives inside of the rotor hat. It's use is completely independant of, and has no affect on the primary braking system (discs). There is no adjustment on the discs. I guess it's possible for the parking brake shoes to go out of adjustment but, again, that would have no affect on the discs.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
No one uses the parking brake in an automatic.
I ALWAYS use the parking brake on ALL the automatics I have ever driven if I parked on anything other than flat ground, so you're wrong on this one.

Go to a dealership and look at all the automatics, none will have the parking brake on.
My wife went to drive a Lincoln LS (automatic) the other day. She commented on how it (and all the other cars on the lot, according to the saleman) had its parking brake on, so you're wrong on this one too.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Banned

As I said in my first post, I'd say 95% of people with automatics don't use their parking brake.

Of course, in unusual hilly cities like San Francisco, that number may go up.

But, I still don't see anyone disagreeing with my point. Go to any parking lot (let's say, a large movie theater), and how many automatics do you think are going to have the parking brake on? I say 5% or less. Maybe 10%, being generous. Certainly, no one would believe that 20% are using the emergency brake. (Would you??). That's a bet you'd lose every time.

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of the automatic drivers here use it. "Enthusiast" drivers who can't drive a stick often do things that emulate stick shift drivers - which is why the silly "Tiptronic" gimmick slushboxes are so popular. Makes slushbox drivers believe they are driving the equivalent of a manual transmission, or have a transmission "Like a Formula 1 car."
Old 12-02-2002, 01:11 PM
taylor192

really? 95% of owners don't use them? well i guess it makes sense because of the automatics, but still, would be nice option for those who do use them, like to use them, or may use them for "creative driving."
I think that's one of the best arguments to put it on the floor where it belongs. I know its fun, I used do donuts in my manual Camry, but without it in the middle I feel less inclined to go do some "spirited" driving, and thus maybe the world becomes a safer place!

The parking brake is over used in NA, and many of us manual drivers rarely leave our cars in gear and rely on the parking brake.

I actually prefer it on the floor, otherwise my MB wouldn't have very much storage room, as it is there isn't really enough for my liking, but I do admit that at first I stalled the car a few times forgetting to disengage the pakring brake, just wish the warning light was more visible, like the red door open screen, if I had a red "parking brake on" screen if I touched the gas that would be a nice feature.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
if I had a red "parking brake on" screen if I touched the gas that would be a nice feature.
My car has a red "Parking brake on screen" similar to the "open door" screen. I've tried backing up with the brake on a few times and the screen pops up with a beep.

I prefer the parking brake on the floor. Something I only use 2 or 3 times a day should not be in the center console taking up space.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
It doesn't surprise me that a lot of the automatic drivers here use it. "Enthusiast" drivers who can't drive a stick often do things that emulate stick shift drivers
What a crock! Everyone I know (NONE of which are "enthusiast" drivers) use parking brakes in their automatics if parking on anything other than flat ground. All the theaters around here have flat parking lots, so no, I don't think you'd find too many auto drivers using their parking brake there. The whole notion that someone with an automatic tranny engages a parking brake for the sole purpose of acting like they have a manual is ridiculous. I do agree that I see no real reason for the e-shifters on passenger cars w/ automatics.

Last edited by Jim Banville; 12-02-2002 at 01:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket handbrake