C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 - More bang for the buck - C7 or Command??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 - More bang for the buck - C7 or Command??

This is a tough decision. I definitely had the cd changer factored into my pricing decision, because Earth no longer uses cassettes.

I'm not a hot rod driver by any means so I don't know if the 17" upgrade on the C7 will make that much of a deal. However if I get Command, I have navigation and the advantage of not having to buy the cd changer (although I can't use both, since the nav cd is using the slot).

I know I'll miss the door handles and other goodies in the C7.

Does Command work well?? Or is it just an expensive smoke screen.

What do you guys think??
Old 01-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Are you serious? Command is $2k, and can be offset by $50 in maps. As you said, if you use it often, you'd have to buy the cd changer as well. C7 is a clear winner in this dept.

I will readily admit my disdain for integrated car phones and nav systems, so take that in mind, but MB's prices on these options should involve a free tube of vasoline.

I think that you also have to buy the navigation cd's as well, so don't forget the price of those.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

I am the exact opposite of Tommy above. There is something inherently cool about that 5 inch LCD screen in your dash. I mean the WOW factor alone for me, accompanied by all the graphical user interfaces makes the car worth much more than anything else. It's not GPS which has some amazing maps and voice directions, it's the fact that the audio system looks 100 times more futuristic when theres a graphical colorful interface showing you bass level, or the station your listening to. You can even name CDs so that their titles show up when you're playing them. Add to that the possible cell phone integration and you have one hell of a tech toy that DESERVES to be in your Mercedes. I mean imagine driving down the road, GPS on, playing a CD from the changer at the same time. The volume on the CD automatically lowers when the GPS has to give you a direction (such as a turn) and then the cell phone rings, and the CD again mutes itself, a graphical display on the 5inch LCD screen tells you whos calling, turn down the volume by itself and you push a button on your steering wheel and talk on the phone. When you get off the phone, the volume on the CD goes back up. THAT is integration, if you buy a Mercedes, get the Comand, you want to show off your car, THAT is how you do it. And that colorful screen impresses EVERYBODY. The top options on my new c230 are COMAND and voice and cell phone integration. It's not just a GPS system that you can replace with maps. Quite frankly, the C7 is only $700, it shouldn't even be an issue when you're buying a car that expensive. Save up the extra $700 over the next year, shouldn't be a problem. Or strike a better deal with your dealer. Insist that you get C7 for free to finalize the deal. *shrug* worked for me. You have to be agressive. But DO NOT shortchange on the COMAND. I quite frankly am buying my Mercedes over the Cobra I was going to buy #1 because it's a Mercedes, quality, and #2 Because the level of tech toys you can get for this car SEEMLESSLY integrated into the COMAND system by fiber optics CANNOT be had on anything in it's price range. From the bose stereo, to the GPS, to the cell phone, to the radio, it's all integrated so well into that system that IMHO it's more than worth it. Remember that!

Last edited by bluec230; 01-11-2002 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
<h1>C7 !!!!!</h1>
Old 01-11-2002, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
OK, another scenario:

You're on a date with the woman of your dreams. You're taking her to a great restaurant that you've never been to before, so you're using the Command system for directions. She then complains about having to listen to the radio when you're on the way. You then say ok, what the hell, and pop in a setting up the post-dinner move jazz cd. That's when things go terribly wrong. You get lost because you lost the directions from command, she ends up hating jazz, and the date's over. Of course, you can then use the nav to pilot you to an adult video store for that pent-up frustration. :p

Command would make alot more sense if there were a 6-disc changer built into it or something similar. If the only question is bang for the buck, it's an easy choice between c7 and command. If there's no $$ limit, then it's a nice option, but then the ccoupe's price is starting to climb up into the range of some better cars.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
While I am a gadget freak, I frankly agree with tommy on this one. I suppose if you are in sales, or otherwise driving to unfamiliar places all the time, the Command option makes some sense (not to mention easier to justify as an expense write-off). However, my Lemming run to work and back each day can be accomplished half asleep, without the need for any electronic gadgets. Besides, if you live in a metro area that paves as many new roads each year as here in Dallas, your Nav CD's probably won't be current when you pick up your car, and completely out-of-date within months.

Further, the convenience and safety factor of the 6-Disc CD is more important to me than shuffling single CDs in and out of that Comand System. I want my seats available for passengers, not a CD library folder.

In contrast, the C7 package is hard to pass up. I wish they had something similar (just the handling bits, please, not the leather) for the sedan.

Just another clown with an opinion.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok I have to admit here, I am 21 and I date a lot and I notice that cars that talk to you, cell phones that come through the audio system for which you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, and a nice big TV screen that displays what song is playing GET A LOTTA FINE WOMEN nuff said That's my motivation, other than the fact that I'm a high tech worker in Seattle But I guess if you're more traditional and want to be less bling bling, then yes it might be a bit excessive as far as price But hey its worth it to me! I say get them BOTH as I said before, just tell the dealer you won't buy the car unless he includes C7 for free, if you got a halfway decent dealer and you're buying COMAND, he'll throw it in. GUARANTEED!
Old 01-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
bluec230, my 1985 Nissan 300ZX "talked" to me, too. 17-years ago, such features were genuinely unique. And, that female voice had to be attached to a Lonnie Anderson figure laying somewhere inside the dash... Of course, I was younger then, so I understand what you're saying. Still, after a year or so, the newness of that feature wore off. No matter how many times she sexilly said, "Fuel Level is low..." it was always in the same tone of voice.

The cube mate next to me just bought a used 98 Acura 3.5 RL. It didn't matter to him that in had the nifty NAV system.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-11-2002 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:04 PM

Talking

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all of your opinions and Tommy's date story was hilarious. Brought a smile to my face as I'm grinding it out in the office. Thanks again.

I'm leaning towards the C7 because the Command is going to get my C230 way over my target offering price of $30K
Old 01-11-2002, 06:12 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Gotta go C7- regardless of driving style. Done.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:41 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I work with computers for a living. I replace my work desktop once a year and my home computer every two years. I run Windows XP Professional on both. I like having my systems totally up to date.

The idea of buying a computer in a car I plan to keep for at least 8 years, maybe longer, scares me. Sure COMMAND is high tech looking/feeling today, but how ANNOYING is it going to be 4 years from now? From the screen shots I've seen, the thing already looks like late '90s technology. It can do nothing but get old.

And like heat010, I also set myself a personal budget of $30K, which something like COMMAND would have gone over that. Yes, I can afford more, but I didn't see the point. I have all these other personal expenses clamoring for attention (computer, laptop, cell phone, nice house, wife's car, travel, home theater, jacuzzi, bikes, even more travel, and of course, even more computer accessories).
Old 01-11-2002, 09:14 PM
gab

I will definitely get the command if it can watch TV and play DVD

I rather get myself a DVD system with pop up LCD screen, for the price of the command

c5+c7+cd changer just make it under $30K. done deal
Old 01-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I think the C7 package is a GREAT deal considering it's only 2-2.5% of the price. Like MB-BOB, I wish that they had a similar package on the sedans. However, IMO, the Command package is pretty expensive for something that I'm not really going to use that much.

Just to add to the date story.... You're driving along with a hot date, and the phone rings. She looks at the screen only to see that it's your ex-girlfriend who you're still seeing on the side. Not good. Of course, there is probably an option to turn that off, but what if you forget......
Old 01-12-2002, 01:40 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
hmmm, maybe i am insane but i can survive without color matched door handles 17' wheels and a different exhaust.... and if i didnt i could add bits and pieces of the c7 package on my own.

no ever loving way you can reasonably add comand to your car later on. and a pop up dvd isnt the same as full integration.

but then again, leave me out of this debate, i got c1 c5 c7 comand, 6 disc and ordered a v60 kit for my baby

wooowooo i went all out, but by god i deserve it

greg
Old 01-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I think everyone agrees that the greatest thing about the C7 package is the wheels. Of course, you can add larger wheels later, but you'll probably pay more than $750. On the sedan, the sport package is $3010. Minus the leather ($1410) and that comes to $1600. And this doesn't even get you 17" tires!

Looks like you did go all out on your coupe! Good for you! Life is short, and you have to enjoy it while you can!

PS. I don't want anyone to think I was knocking the Command option. I was speaking for myself only, in that I would not use it enough to justify the cost. Of course, I remember years ago saying the same thing about a computer......
Old 01-12-2002, 09:37 AM

You will pay more than $750 for aftermarket rims - especially ones as attractive (subjective, I know) those that come with C7, but if you buy your own, you still have the stock 16" wheels to mount another set of tires on.

Just pointing this out. C7 is still a bargain.

Of course, I ordered mine with C7. I'll pony up the bux later on for a set of winter wheels/tires.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:02 AM
gab

a set of Pilot Sport is more than $750 already
Old 01-12-2002, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
get it

You should get the C7 package. I got mine before the C7 was availible and if I had it to do over again I would get it. As far as the command goes its like a $500 PDA its neat to have but how much will you really use it. My new car has it (CLK55) but I wouldnt have paid 2 grand for it. For 2 Grand you can have a in dash dvd/PS2 system installed. Now thats awesome! As far as I'm concerned the C7 is a no-brainer.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:54 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
That's easy - get BOTH. Naw, just kidding. The C7 pack is a bargain. The wheels just look sooo cool. I'd love a NAV system, but that's a lot of smackers... the extra money for the C7 on the other hand is not a big deal. Of course, I had to get the CD changer - big music fan, and I'm not planning on burning cassette tapes just to listen to my favorite stuff. I couldn't believe MB still wastes time with cassettes when I rented an E-class last summer in Germany. Still couldn't believe when the dealer told me no standard CD player. I'll find a good use for the concealed cassette slot yet - letssee, maybe a secret hiding place for credit cards, perhaps...
I solved my navigation problems by adding a NavMan GPS to the iPaq I already own, along with Travroute's excellent PocketCoPilot software. Downside is having to download map data from PC to handheld. But I only paid 399.- for the iPaq 3765 which I use for work anyway, plus 349.- for the PocketCopilot/Navman GPS. I'll have to forgo the sex appeal of an in-dash unit, of course. But then I would have had to go for the phone as well...you can go on an on. For me, part of the thrill is driving a Benz for under 30 grand and still get a lot of neat stuff.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:20 AM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
One thing though... if you put in the MB dealer installed cell phone, it'll still be integrated with or without the COMMAND system. And without COMMAND the girl in the passenger seat would have to lean over to see who called on the little screen in the instrument panel.

And guys... please don't dis the cassette player... I have some songs from long time before that i recorded on tape... and would have a hard time finding them all again... that cassette player is still useful to some people (relatively young, 24 y/o)... And don't get me wrong... I own over 200 CDs and still growing fast.

So... Definitely get the C7 before you get the COMMAND
Old 02-10-2002, 04:40 AM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
C7 is the way to go. I test drove a C230 with 16" and C7 because I wanted to find out about the ride quality as well. Also I seldom drive to places that I am not familiar with. Plus I always have a thomas guide in my car.

Maverick666: Maybe you should transfer your tape to CD, tapes will eventually wore out...