C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-Sedan Halogen Comps: Philips Vision Plus vs. Rally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by Drew_ML
I'm afraid that Eaglite bulbs are not known for their quality, that's why they are so cheap. You really do get what you pay for (of course some of the PIAA bulbs are also WAY overpriced, IMHO). A local large automotive store chain here stopped carrying them because of all of the failures.
At that price though, it almost doesn't matter. I have had them for several months already with no problems. So even if I had to buy them once or twice a year, it would still be pretty cheap overall on my 3 year lease. And the look is very nice and visibility is better. So as long as they don't melt the housings, I can deal with a few failures. If they start doing it too often, I'll just put the stocks back in.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Outland
I can't say I like the color output of either of the bulbs Bob tried out. If youre going to go thru the hassle of swapping them, might as well get some ones with a real white output. I don't cary for the bluish fake HID ricer lights, but the bright white is nice.
The pattern on the garage door is just that, a pattern. It's not an indication of the whiteness of these bulbs. My garage door is NOT painted white... more of an off-white, so that might account for some of the perceived yellow, also accented by the digital camera I used... As we all know a camera doesn't capture the light as brilliantly as the human eye.

The beams are VERY white to my eyes, in reality. And they cast a very white pattern in actual road use. I am satisfied with them.

BTW, the OEM H7s removed from my car are OSRAM brand, 64210 H7U, not Philips at all. They do say DOT (compliant).

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-01-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
The pattern on the garage door is just that, a pattern. It's not an indication of the whiteness of these bulbs. My garage door is NOT painted white... more of an off-white, so that might account for some of the perceived yellow,
That explains a lot. They looked so yellow I was wondering if your altenator was putting out the correct output. I wouldn't expect different bulbs to change the pattern, that's dictated by the reflector, the lenses, and the cutoff.

also accented by the digital camera I used... As we all know a camera doesn't capture the light as brilliantly as the human eye.
Sadly, its the otherway around. The Camera sees the light as it is. Our brains 'color correct' it the way we expect it to be. Your average house lighting is so warm its actually an amber color. Our eyes have better sensitivity to low light than the digital camera's CCD or the Film does, but the camera records the actual color more accurately.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:09 AM

W212 E63
Here is mine compare to OEM bulb.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Almost a Member!

C180K
what kind of HID installation do you have? did you installed it manually?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Outland
Sadly, its the otherway around. The Camera sees the light as it is. Our brains 'color correct' it the way we expect it to be. Your average house lighting is so warm its actually an amber color. Our eyes have better sensitivity to low light than the digital camera's CCD or the Film does, but the camera records the actual color more accurately.
With respect, I couldn't disagree more. I have worked with cameras all my life, both professionally and as a hobby. Technically, a camera may be more objective in measuring light values. However, cameras have no where near the range of sensitivity and clarity possessed by the human eyeball.

In this particular case, I could differentiate the subtle changes in light intensity from the OEM bulb to the Vision Plus, but my 3.2 MP digital camera was oblivious, especially, as you point out, in low light situations. The images depicted in my photos above show no more than 25% of the actual light cast on the garage doors. This lack of sensitivity (or electronic overcorrection of same) is what makes the light appear yellow. In reality, the light is quite bright. At the end of the day, a light's "true" spectral values are not relevant when perceived and interpreted by the human eye.

Cameras have come a long way in recent years coping with suspect lighting conditions. But while electronic audio has long since surpassed a human's capability to hear, IMO, human eyesight remains light years ahead of the camera.