C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BIX upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008 | 10:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Question BIX upgrade questions

After searching the site and gathering lots of helpful information I still have a few questions about upgrading my stock halogen lights in frosted housings.

I was debating on OEM or an HID kit with DEPO headlights. After reading post after post about it, I'm opting for the OEM.

I have been in contact with Steve and Wanda from mbenzNL and will make my purchase after a few more questions are resolved.

I know I'll need the sealer to reprogram to xenon = present (or something like that) and was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on what I can expect them to charge to do this. I should mention I just my 2004 C320 4matic this past October from a non MB dealer. the car only had 15k miles on it at the time of purchase and currently has 24k. I'm out of warranty as the 4 year period expired late October. I'm 3k miles from my first service A and was planning on doing it myself since I was quoted $300!!
Anyway, I might opt for the dealer to do the service if they "throw in the program" IF it's worth the difference in cost of the service. I know I can call and ask but wanted to see what others paid or heard to be sure it's in line.

This next one will make me look foolish but I need to ask:

I thought I read that BIX are both low and high beams. Is that correct? Meaning, are they both HID/Xenon? What about temp? I know with HID they have multiple temps (4300k, 6000k, 8000k etc) but what exactly are the OEM BIX?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's all that come to mind at the moment.
Thanks in advance for any input and feel free to bash the noob but please go easy on me.
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
1. Try and look for an independent Mercedes shop that will do the programming for you, I'm friends with the owner of a local shop and he only charged me $20, but he says the going rate is anywhere from $40-80.

2. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that when you use high beams...the projector lets out more light and there's a high beam bulb that also turns on as well?

3. Stock temperature is 4300k. I'm upgrading the D2S bulbs in mine to 6000k or 8000k, haven't decided yet.
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
Local dealership charges $100 for any kind of "extra" programming such as xenon=present, netherlands settings, etc.

DEPO headlights are mainly for looks whereas OEM have better output.

Good choice w/ OEM ones
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevblah
1. Try and look for an independent Mercedes shop that will do the programming for you, I'm friends with the owner of a local shop and he only charged me $20, but he says the going rate is anywhere from $40-80.

2. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that when you use high beams...the projector lets out more light and there's a high beam bulb that also turns on as well?

3. Stock temperature is 4300k. I'm upgrading the D2S bulbs in mine to 6000k or 8000k, haven't decided yet.
+1

The Projector has a motor behind it that is hooked up to a metal plate. When you put your high beams on the motor flips that shield and the cut off line is a lot higher, giving you more light.
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
kevblah,

would your friend be willing to help another forum member out? I'm just west of Worcester and work in Hopkinton so Boston is no more than an hour away. The dealership I mentioned is in Natick and I think their prices (at least for the service A) is a bit high.
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by coin
...Good choice w/ OEM ones
+1
Not inexpensive, but worth every cent.

Skip the off-broadway junk for your MB.
Old 04-03-2008 | 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by 04C320
kevblah,

would your friend be willing to help another forum member out? I'm just west of Worcester and work in Hopkinton so Boston is no more than an hour away. The dealership I mentioned is in Natick and I think their prices (at least for the service A) is a bit high.
The indie I know is located in Lynn, MA so it's probably not too close to you. I can vouch for him though, does a great job. I'll PM you the details.
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
$300 is a little high for Service-A
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:22 AM

2007 C230 silver/black
After searching the site and gathering lots of helpful information I still have a few questions about upgrading my stock halogen lights in frosted housings.

I was debating on OEM or an HID kit with DEPO headlights. After reading post after post about it, I'm opting for the OEM.

I have been in contact with Steve and Wanda from mbenzNL and will make my purchase after a few more questions are resolved.

I know I'll need the sealer to reprogram to xenon = present (or something like that) and was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on what I can expect them to charge to do this. I should mention I just my 2004 C320 4matic this past October from a non MB dealer. the car only had 15k miles on it at the time of purchase and currently has 24k. I'm out of warranty as the 4 year period expired late October. I'm 3k miles from my first service A and was planning on doing it myself since I was quoted $300!!
Anyway, I might opt for the dealer to do the service if they "throw in the program" IF it's worth the difference in cost of the service. I know I can call and ask but wanted to see what others paid or heard to be sure it's in line.

This next one will make me look foolish but I need to ask:

I thought I read that BIX are both low and high beams. Is that correct? Meaning, are they both HID/Xenon? What about temp? I know with HID they have multiple temps (4300k, 6000k, 8000k etc) but what exactly are the OEM BIX?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's all that come to mind at the moment.
Thanks in advance for any input and feel free to bash the noob but please go easy on me.
I just paid 200 to my friend who owns a shop to install HID + setting xenon=present for me. I figured if i get a kit from ebay at 100 and pay MB dealer 100 why not let me friend make some money and i can just sit there and read some books as opposed to DIYing
anyway mine is just regular reflector housings with HID bulbs+ballasts. so not projectors. I asked my friend he said he will charge 50$ for people needing xenon=present. but we're in the southern cali area probly not any help for you.
BUT you can read through this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197971
and print out the pictures and try their "drive-in-tech" method for a "might-be -free-xenon=present" job. you'll see what I mean if you read thru it

good luck!
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:28 AM

Is @ Home
kevblah,

You must be talking about Foreign Motor West right? I wouldn't go there since their prices are high and they frown upon modding.
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
bix in projector based, oval MBs

cantblockme - do you have photos of the resulting light beam after your
HID kit? do you recall if the bulbs in your kit were configured for your
reflector-based headlight? tnx
Old 04-04-2008 | 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
I had posted...

cantblockme - do you have photos of the resulting light beam after your
HID kit? do you recall if the bulbs in your kit were configured for your
reflector-based headlight? tnx
For some reason, I was thinking that your car had halogen projectors, but I am
reminded now that you have a reflector based headlight. So in theory, there is
no possible way for an HID kit to be calibrated in its conversion for your headlight.
Thus, I'm even more intrigued (!) with the resulting beam, post conversion via
HID kit. yeah..... any beam photos (against the wall....pavement in front of car)
would be great.
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:40 AM

2007 C230 silver/black
Originally Posted by raymond g-
I had posted...

For some reason, I was thinking that your car had halogen projectors, but I am
reminded now that you have a reflector based headlight. So in theory, there is
no possible way for an HID kit to be calibrated in its conversion for your headlight.
Thus, I'm even more intrigued (!) with the resulting beam, post conversion via
HID kit. yeah..... any beam photos (against the wall....pavement in front of car)
would be great.
PMed you with pix. there are a bunch
Old 04-04-2008 | 08:17 AM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by kevblah

I just installed mtec HID kit in my stock headlights, went with 6000k, and 'm absolutely loving the output, super bright, straight on. No reprograming of any kind.
Exactly the look i was looking for.
T.

Ps. By the way, Wagner Motors in West Boylston does great work at average prices, been going there for years.
Old 04-04-2008 | 08:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Originally Posted by germantom-c240
I just installed mtec HID kit in my stock headlights, went with 6000k, and 'm absolutely loving the output, super bright, straight on. No reprograming of any kind.
Exactly the look i was looking for.
T.

Ps. By the way, Wagner Motors in West Boylston does great work at average prices, been going there for years.

I've considered Wagner but their hours are terrible. Not to mention when I was looking for a "car" and walked their lots not one sales guy came out to help.... granted it was raining like no tomorrow (did this on purpose). Anyway, I see you are in my general area and would love to see and hear about your set up. I might have hit a slight snag with the purchase of the BIX from mbenzNL so I may need to seek alternate routes.
Old 04-04-2008 | 11:53 AM
Banned

05 C230 Sedan
Man I bought some cheap $200 Depos and put some OEM Projectors in them with xenon kit for less than $400. Just buy some Depos, and put OEM xenon projectors in them with a xenon kit. It performs the same as oem bi-xenons. Plus you wont get an error message. Just do a retrofit. It aint hard either, but a fun project.
Old 04-04-2008 | 02:21 PM

2006 C350 SS
I know a lot of you will dis-agree....but I would like to try out the Depos to start off :-X

1.) Who has them on their cars or has in the past???

2.) What do you have to say about them? Feelings/Concerns/Pros/Cons???

3.) Most kits...Do they come fully equiped with everything you need to have for bolt on and use???

4.) Is there any extra items you need for the application?

5.) Last Q...Where is the best place to purchase and what is the typical price???

Thank You for any help in advance...and for the guys who a 100% about the OEM...I understand and WILL have them this year...hahah just want to try to cheap ones for a bit
Old 04-04-2008 | 02:29 PM

2013 E350
I've considered Wagner but their hours are terrible. Not to mention when I was looking for a "car" and walked their lots not one sales guy came out to help.... granted it was raining like no tomorrow (did this on purpose). Anyway, I see you are in my general area and would love to see and hear about your set up. I might have hit a slight snag with the purchase of the BIX from mbenzNL so I may need to seek alternate routes.
Sorry to hear about your experience at Wagners, happens, i guess.
I think you'll like my set up, you will have to look at it some time, I'm in the process of changing my parking/city bulbs as well, to match the new look, i'm not happy with the yellow glow.
T.
Old 04-04-2008 | 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Chadski350Sport
I know a lot of you will dis-agree....but I would like to try out the Depos to start off :-X

1.) Who has them on their cars or has in the past???
NOT ME, NOT YET

2.) What do you have to say about them? Feelings/Concerns/Pros/Cons???
NO COMMENT AS I CAN'T GIVE AN OPINION, HOWEVER, FROM WHAT I READ, IT'S MAINLY THE BEAM PATTERN AND HOT SPOTS THAT SEEM TO BE THE COMMON "CON"

3.) Most kits...Do they come fully equiped with everything you need to have for bolt on and use???
I'VE LOOKED INTO THE SLIM HID KIT AND DEPO PROJECTOR (CLEAR). I WAS GUARANTEED IT WOULD NOT TRIP A CODE NOR NEED ANY ADDITIONAL CONNECTORS TO WORK

4.) Is there any extra items you need for the application?
NOT WITH THE KIT I LOOKED AT

5.) Last Q...Where is the best place to purchase and what is the typical price???
I LOOKED AT K1MOTORSPORTS FOR BOTH THE SLIM KIT AND DEPO LIGHTS

Thank You for any help in advance...and for the guys who a 100% about the OEM...I understand and WILL have them this year...hahah just want to try to cheap ones for a bit
FWIW, see replys in BOLD CAPS (no, I'm not yelling).
Old 04-04-2008 | 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Originally Posted by germantom-c240
Sorry to hear about your experience at Wagners, happens, i guess.
I think you'll like my set up, you will have to look at it some time, I'm in the process of changing my parking/city bulbs as well, to match the new look, i'm not happy with the yellow glow.
T.
That would have been another question with OEM vs. aftermarket. With OEM, would all lights be "up graded" or would I still have the yellow glow of my curent bulbs?

This lighting thing is a PIA but I hate the stock halogen bulbs even more.
Old 04-04-2008 | 04:05 PM

2006 C350 SS
Thanks for the input 04C320!!!

Appreciated
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
i'd much rather get projectors + hid kit because at least you'll have a nice cutoff for your light beam, hid kit in the stock headlights emits a glare to oncoming traffic.

also...projectors and bi-x look better than just a stock halogen housing.
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:06 PM
Banned

c230
Yeah get some Depo Projectors and get some OEM Bi-Xenon Projectors with HID Kit and do a retrofit for less than $450. Its much better then paying $1300 for OEM Bi-Xenons. And they are oem bc your using bi-xenon projectors.
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Originally Posted by cnotesbenz
Yeah get some Depo Projectors and get some OEM Bi-Xenon Projectors with HID Kit and do a retrofit for less than $450. Its much better then paying $1300 for OEM Bi-Xenons. And they are oem bc your using bi-xenon projectors.

Please don't clutter my thread as you did with the last screen name that was banned (it's obvious you are the $25 muffler man).
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
I may have to opt for the after market projector's and HID kit for cost reasons. Since I have the majority of cash avaialble and the purchase would have been via credit card and the seller doesn't accept credit cards any longer, I will have to opt for the less expensive route if I want to rid my halogens.

I honestly don't think the beam pattern and hot spots will bother me so I think I'll be OK.

Thanks to all that replied and helped answer all my questions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIX upgrade questions