C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BIX upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
these banged up bi-xenons are back up for sale again
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-W...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-15-2008 | 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
The car goes in Thursday morning (MB of Natick) for Service A and "free" xenon=present. I was able to to use the "well, another dealer quoted me $xxx for service and free program with a free loaner car". They agreed to the same price with a free loaner. I should be ready and I'm bringning the instructions with me to show the tech.

I'm now considereing changing the fogs too while I have the front bumper off to the clears. If I read correct, I'd be better off with a complete swap rather than just the lense as the fitment will be slightly off as well as the housing being chrome/ gray. Did I also read correct that the fog bulbs are 9006? If so, I had an HID kit in my last vehicle for the 9006 bulbs. The kit ran $150 and if it'll work on the fogs I'll order another kit to use here. I know Steve at mbenzNL has/ had a set of clears for my car so if it'll work, I'll get them from him. My other question is, will the fog HID kit cause any problems? As in codes/ heat or melting issues?
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by 04C320
The car goes in Thursday morning (MB of Natick) for Service A and "free" xenon=present. I was able to to use the "well, another dealer quoted me $xxx for service and free program with a free loaner car". They agreed to the same price with a free loaner. I should be ready and I'm bringning the instructions with me to show the tech.

I'm now considereing changing the fogs too while I have the front bumper off to the clears. If I read correct, I'd be better off with a complete swap rather than just the lense as the fitment will be slightly off as well as the housing being chrome/ gray. Did I also read correct that the fog bulbs are 9006? If so, I had an HID kit in my last vehicle for the 9006 bulbs. The kit ran $150 and if it'll work on the fogs I'll order another kit to use here. I know Steve at mbenzNL has/ had a set of clears for my car so if it'll work, I'll get them from him. My other question is, will the fog HID kit cause any problems? As in codes/ heat or melting issues?
i think someone on this forum had their car catch on fire because of his fogs, not sure though, haha.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
you're right! the photos have since disappeared (dead link) but they were
amazing. i recalled that it may have been more than a simple HID kit in the
fogs, rather, there was impact to roadway debris which had a ripple effect on
the fog's HID wiring = flash
Old 04-17-2008 | 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
WHOA!!!! The dealer is flippin crazy!!!! I dropped the car of this morning for Service A and the xenon=present. I put the BIX in the trunk and said if it takes the hour or less to install per the estimate, then go ahead. They just called me and said it would be $600+ to install!!!

They also threw in "well, we found other issues such as a leak of trans. fluid at the electrical connection (a TSB from Oct 04 according to this site), a "noise" at the AC compressor and your wiper blades don't work very well".

I opted for the $200 fix of the tranny leak but passed on the others.
Old 04-17-2008 | 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Yup, that sounds about right. $150 X four hours…

After (minimally) helping emrliquidlife with his install, mine flying solo took about two hours. With a break. I’d say the biggest difference between that dealership and me groveling about in the garage is that they are highly trained professionals.

Any lesser outfit could have easily overlooked the wiper blades.
Old 04-17-2008 | 05:55 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by kevblah
these banged up bi-xenons are back up for sale again
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-W...spagenameZWDVW
I msgd this guy not too long ago...

He told me (in a very short-not-so-nice ebay msg) that they were definately broken but he didnt answer me about how broken. He reaffirmed that the winning bidder would be mostly buying parts to make/repair an existing set of bix. He also dodged my request for getting more pictures of the "cracks."

Hope the winning bidder realized what they were gettin into.
Old 04-19-2008 | 02:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 4matic (SOLD)
Installed

Wooooo-Hooooooo

BIX are installed and working fine. Now, for it to get dark so I can position them correctly. Had the program done Thursday with the Service A and all is good. Sorry, no pics.

Thanks to all for answers as well as prior threads with detailed pics of install (more so front bumper removal).
Old 04-19-2008 | 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by 04C320
Wooooo-Hooooooo

BIX are installed and working fine. Now, for it to get dark so I can position them correctly. Had the program done Thursday with the Service A and all is good. Sorry, no pics.

Thanks to all for answers as well as prior threads with detailed pics of install (more so front bumper removal).
congrats, bi-x ftw