C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

upsolute chip claims 30hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 07:22 PM
gab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upsolute chip claims 30hp?

the benzsport guys are raving about the upsolute chip and are waiting for dyno results. Their butt dyno aid the chip makes quite a big difference

just wondering just the software upgrade can make such a difference on the supercharger without pulley upgrade. I'll be very happy if it can add 20hp
Old 01-12-2002, 08:52 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I dunno what upsolute does, but in general theory... Yes, a software upgrade could account for 30 HP increase on a car like the C230 Coupe. Before doing anything, I would learn more about how it achieves that and I would question what cost it would have on reliability and longevity.

MB ran these engines through every software curve possible. They already know how much further they could push it. But, as every manufacturer does, they choose a power/performance curve that best meets their final goals, reliability, and longevity.

You can take a small 1.8 liter japanese four cylinder and turbocharge it enough that it can win a World Pro Rally. But if you notice carefully, those 600HP engines don't last very long.

Just like adding NOS to a car. Sure it flies. But every single use ages/stresses the engine ever more, technically reducing its service life.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What car do they claim 30HP on (C320, C240, C32)?
Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up UPSOLUTE

UPSOLUTE SOFTWARE DOES WORK!!
As I did my (wifes) c coupe two weeks ago and Im finishing up a cold air kit....so that I may book some dyno TIME afterwork to do a series of pulls, I did a stock pull,now I want to do a pull with the UPSOLUTE SOFTWARE done,Then a pull with the software and the cold air kit,and if the rear muffler is done well THEN I will
make a third pull with ALL THE GOODIES as they claim 28hp
and by driving it (the coupe) i believe it FOR THE MONEY
THE UPSOLUTE IS THE BEST 325.00you can spend on your ride
as compared to the OTHERS (software companies)out there!!
cause the COUPE PULLS HARD now!!
Old 01-12-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Mark,
When can I come to HB and drive your coupe? I thought about the upsolute chip, but I need to experience one before I would be brave enough to do it to my coupe.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
where can you get this? and mark, as a mb/porsche tech, what are the longterm ramifications of this? i mean, is it going to mess up the engine?
Old 01-12-2002, 10:36 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Mark!- Where can I get one, how much time/know how does it take to install, can it be done purely transparent incase of a warranty issue to undo it??

How much was the cold air kit?
How much hp gain claimed?
Is that very time consuming/involved to pull off?
What were the numbers on the pulley kit if you know??

Thanks alot for the info on this hot topic- sounds great and cost effective!

My tip of the year- buy Nokian tires for the winter if you need them they rock!!

Thanks again dude- happy smokin' the doors off all those 325s!

C230/6speed/orion blue and you know this/C7/changer soon but not soon enough!
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 AM

C230K SportCoupe
Upsolute from TDI forum

Having owned a TDI, I can tell you that the Upsolute upgrade for the TDI was considered a very good improvement for the money. I didn't realize they had one for the C230k.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:00 AM
gab

so Mark first of all are you affliated with Upsolute??

I cant wait for real dyno runs but with your many years as a automotive tech/racing guy what does your butt dyno tell you how many hp? whether its 10hp 20hp or 30hp range?
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up The UPSOLUTE SOFTWARE

KWIK,I hope to dyno the coupe next week so that I will have the real numbers1 with the software done,2 with the cold air kit done IF I can finish it,and 3 the rear muffler if it shows up?as I did a stock dyno pull,1stock 2 without the air box 3without cat/conv and rear muffler to base any changes on the c coupeBecause the numbers tell the truth>>>>

Young
The long term should NOT have any NEGATIVE RESULTS!as long as you USE 91/92 fuel other wise it will suffer,and ping as the knock sensors will retard the timing and slow you down..asI have done SEVERAL porsches and had NO PROBLEMS at all
The factory builds it slow for several reasons1 to improve it NEXT YEAR!!!MARKETING GOT TO LOVE IT!!and for gas reasons as most
people USE CHEAP GAS!!

The people at upsolute are GREAT because if you change any thing re cold air kit muffler they UPSOLUTE will REMAP/PROGRAM the software at NO CHARGE.Now when was the LAST time you bought a mod for your car and if you change somthing on the car they will retune it for NO CHARGE? and for 325.00!! shop the OTHERS AT 2000.00 and up I have heard nothing BUT great results about UPSOLUTE so I GAVE it a try and IT works!!
NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Zimmer26

Only UPSOLUTE will install it and there is NO WAY TO TELL that you have altered the control unit!!

as for the cold air kit I have been playn with several filters as the stock air box IS VERY RESTRICTIVE look at how the air is pulled through at the drivers side then angled down, then pulled through the box to the mass air sensor THE kit Im working on uses the drivers air intake to a 45degree then straight thru the filter to the mass air sensor (I will post pictures) when Im at the dyno and with the numbers so if it works well thats

good and if it DOES not work well on to the next filter

as for the PULLEY we tried that ROUTE and the factory software
will bleed off BOOST at 3500 so if you JUST change the pulley without the software you will NOT gain anything!!

and NO I do NOT work for UPSOLUTE
just found a good product and would like to PASS on the INFO!!

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 01-13-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
here's the link for upsolute
http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

look under dealers to see if there is one near you
Old 01-13-2002, 04:50 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Didn't MBTECH say something a while ago that the new MB computers for 2002 are seated in a different way that does not allow for modification without leaving evidence that the service department can easily spot?
Old 01-13-2002, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now if they can combine that with a smaller kompressor pulley and belt for a few hundred more I'm in!!

Mark Cummings,
Did you get that done at their Chino Hills distributor or is there someone more local in Orange County? Would love to drag race you do see the difference between stock and your mods. We need someone to video tape it to create an mpeg for this board.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:03 PM
gab

Yes i heard that rumor too the 2002 computer are different that has a electronic controlled "wastegate" or "bleed valve" type kind of thing to control the boost.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:32 PM

C230K SportCoupe
chips and exhausts

Mark, I haven't been able to get too much information from the main Upsolute marketing group in the U.S. You should ask whether the top speed limiter can be increased, shift points modified, max RPM, etc. Obviously, if there is some problem, they could easily discover the added chip in the ECU if they look. I wish they could do a Hypertech style download, saving the stock program, and allow the owner to select which one is resisdent.

On the exhaust side, what are you thinking about installing? Evosport told me they have done a few custom installs that sounded great (not easy for a four), but they do not (yet) have a mail-order unit. I have always preferred the German DTM style tips swept upwards, but the Eisenman style twin round pipes looks good (very BMW looking).

Intake modifications can be tricky, especially in hot climates like Phoenix. Many owners loose power with modified setups and sometimes risk water intake if the pipe is low (where the cool air can be had).

I wish Mercedes had tweaked the shift up a little more aggressively, I find it a little lazy.

Anyway, some thoughts about your project...Z
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Post UPSOLUTE SOFTWARE

Flashman,
The M.E. control unit CAN be opened without looking
like somone tampered with it
UPSOLUTE removes the oem flash chip reprograms it
and reinstalls it,btw they save the old program if you
WANT to back to stock?