C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Please don't laugh me off the board but...

I talked to guys from Best Buys (yes Best buys ) about adding a little more BASS to my Coupe. 2 of them looked at and inside the coupe and said it can be done with Adding a sub and an amp. Here is the laundry list:
Rockford ForsGate Punch 300S Amp for $239
Rockford ForsGate Punch HE 2 DVC 10 " sub with Qlogic box for $160
Rockford ForsGate Wire kit for $99
Installation $150

Total: about $650

My questtions are:

Is it a good/viable set up?
Is there a better bang for this 650 bucks???
Can I go the Crutchfield ways (DIYS) to save money and use it to buy better grade components? My car audio installation experience amounts to successfully reading and monkeying Session's How-To on the Audio 10.
(The Best Buy guys also told me that if I wanted a new HU they can install an adapter that retains the steering wheel functions - part $60 & labour $40)

Thank You for your advices and

A Very Merry Chrismas to all forum members

Benzer

Last edited by Benzer; 12-09-2002 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Re: Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Originally posted by Benzer
(The Best Buy guys also told me that if I wanted a new HU they can install an adapter that retains the steering wheel functions - part & labour $100)

Thank You for your advices and

Benzer
Ask them who makes the adapter, how much is it and the part #....I doubt there is such a thing (besides the Alpine one).

Thanks,
Erik
Old 12-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Originally posted by Benzer
Please don't laugh me off the board but...

Benzer
You can always do better. It all depends if you are set on new or if you are willing to go used.

Last edited by amdeutsch; 12-08-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Re: Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Originally posted by tifosiv122
Ask them who makes the adapter, how much is it and the part #....I doubt there is such a thing (besides the Alpine one).

Thanks,
Erik
Knowing what my BEST BUY is like in my town, these installer are probably BSing him and are talking about one of those remotes or wired remotes that a lot of aftermarket equipment now has. Also these guys have a tendency to cut and splice instead of using adapter plugs to convert from the factory wiring to a new HU. Crutchfield doesn't have any info yet on MB HU wiring and they are usually pretty up to date.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:57 PM

c-sports coupe
you can always try e-bay for better prices and go to another shop for the install its actually easy you could do it your self if you need help i can give you a couple of directions from when i did it to my car
Old 12-09-2002, 12:00 AM
JeT

Re: Re: Seeking Audio Expert Input Please :)

Originally posted by tifosiv122

Thanks,
Erik
I've asked this before...there is an aftermarket steering wheel interface called PESWIX. You can see it at this site:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/pe...g_interface.htm.

It DOES NOT work on the later Mercedes. The only aftermarket headunit that can work with the MB steering controls is the Alpine. However, you will still need to take it to MB as they have to pull apart the ignition assembly to replace the switch. I think Buellwinkle started a post on it...do a search for Alpine in the W203 forum.

Last edited by JeT; 12-09-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
R U N ... don't walk away from BB, Circ City etc...

Unless they can come through on that remote converter gizmo! Then that single GUY (not the store) is your man and don't let him out of your sight. Simply put (as stated above) the only proven steering wheel button interface unit is the Alpine one -- and it is (for now) Euro only.

Can't hack into the controls either, as it is a serial bus that shares much of the cars communications on a common pair of wires - read: no discrete cabling to the controls.

If you want more bass. Yes buy a sub, buy an amp (or buy an amped sub afterthought like bazooka, infinity etc..) and strap it onto the existing sub feeds. In the end it'll cost you much less - even if you spend the same. That is to say if you spend $650 and do it right vs. if BB does it for $650 - the amount of trash you'll get thrown in will not be worth the hassle!

One more option.. albeit more expensive... for about $1200 Reuce Systems will retrofit your car. They do a sub that is housed inside the spare cavity (the spare stays). A new amp, new tweets in the front doors and some mods to other speakers to change the staging.

P

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2002, 01:00 AM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
Do some research in your area, and see who knows how to do the job correctly, I don't think best buy does not even knows how to remove the radio, I think a better set up for your car would be to run all speakers and sub off separate amps .I had my entire system replaced ,I love how it sounds
Old 12-09-2002, 02:41 AM

2002 C240 Classic
i totally agree. 99% of the "kids" who work at best buy can install a system in a civic, but definately not a merc. don't trust them. go to a shop that has installed not one, but many systems in mercs, especially the new ones. it isn't that much harder, but definately more time consuming and they must be really careful. my entire stock stereo was removed and upgraded. tweeters, mids, sub, amp, cap, etc. it sounds sweet, but i got the right installers to do it. i would stay away from best buy and other shops. they're not professionals and i would never leave my car for them to butcher.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:53 AM

The question is how much bass you want your coupe to have and how LOW you want the sub to hit.

If I were u.... id actually listen to some set ups in a coupe... subs in hatchbacks are A LOT louder than sedans

I personally installed the basslink (250) in hte coupe myself... and I think hte sound is good enough for me...

it gets plently loud enough to rattle stuff in hte trunk if u want it to.

(oh and a $100 wirekit) it better be made out of GOLD for that price!
~fk
Old 12-09-2002, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
put the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into an MB COMAND instead !!!
Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Your FIRST step should be to pick up an AUDIO 10 CD to replace that sorry factory tape deck. The AUDIO 10 CD has better bass and overall better sound. Once you hear it, you may be happy. If not, you can then buy a powered subwoofer from here. You can tap the line already going to your factory sub. There should also be a power tap back there too. Have fun
Old 12-09-2002, 02:49 PM

Hello Jim - Thanks for a great Idea I did installed the Audio 10 a few weeks ago. For what I need a powered sub tapping into existing line is probably the most elegant solution there is. You and Peet have the same solution. Many THANKS to both

Benzer

Originally posted by Jim Banville
Your FIRST step should be to pick up an AUDIO 10 CD to replace that sorry factory tape deck. The AUDIO 10 CD has better bass and overall better sound. Once you hear it, you may be happy. If not, you can then buy a powered subwoofer from here. You can tap the line already going to your factory sub. There should also be a power tap back there too. Have fun
Old 12-09-2002, 05:11 PM

I personally like the basslink A LOT more than those bazooka tubes

Best buy and circuit city is a great place to test the subs...
but I would buy online and DIY install.

~fk