C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Lease Takeover -- help me, good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 01:35 AM

2014 E350 Convertible
Lease Takeover -- help me, good deal?

2007 C230. White w/ black tx interior, auto tranny, sunroof pckg, 6 cd changer, only 4,400 miles, lease up march 09, 18,000 miles left, payment is only $323.71 inc tax per month and residual is $23,000+ at lease end. I can renew for an additional year or 2 if I wish at same or less payment. Seems like a really good deal so far. Heres the only kicker, the seller wants me to pay one months lease, pro-rated dmv reg, and insurance while the car sits in garage waiting to get transfered. I figure that equates to something in the $500 dollar range. The current lessee said its possible to trade possession of the car in about 21 days or so when he gets a letter saying hes no longer under contract with MBZ. But there is about a 3 week period or so left where the new lessee (me), turns in paperwork to dmv for title to change till its all official. I did speak with someone at MBZ financial saying that people do sometimes transfer possession at the time when the old lessee gets a letter stating they are no longer responsible.

What do you guys think? Good deal? Worth paying a little extra while the car is sitting in the previous owners garage?
Old 05-09-2008 | 03:25 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
for no money down $323 is great. my friend's paying around the same for his lease with $2500 down. 18k miles left means you pretty much don't have to worry about over mileage when the lease is up.

because transfer the lease takes some time i think it's just security for the seller that you don't run away with the car.

of course buying a lease when the contract is up is never that great since for a used 05-07 C230 you can buy for for probably less than the residual from the lease. if it is me I would take over this lease and then when the lease is up return this car and search to buy another one of same or even an 06 for cheaper price. OR better yet, you may end up liking the w204 and found a good lease or purchase deal on that.
Old 05-09-2008 | 12:10 PM

2014 E350 Convertible
Well technically Im putting money down because he wants me to pay the car payment for the month while I dont get to use it while we are doing the transfer process, as well as the insurance during that time, and the pro-rated dmv reg for the year. Does that sound fair, considering the excellent car condition and low car payment?

I will probley extend the lease one more year for same payment or slightly less payment I think, as long as I like the car.
Old 05-09-2008 | 12:20 PM

'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by scottamc
Well technically Im putting money down because he wants me to pay the car payment for the month while I dont get to use it while we are doing the transfer process, as well as the insurance during that time, and the pro-rated dmv reg for the year. Does that sound fair, considering the excellent car condition and low car payment?

I will probley extend the lease one more year for same payment or slightly less payment I think, as long as I like the car.
I think that kind of payment with no money down is a really good deal, so maybe chipping in a little extra to cover another month's payment is worth it for you. I've never leased a car (or taken over a lease) so that's just my two cents.

I will say that I don't know why you should be paying his insurance. He's going to have to insure himself on whatever car he may be driving in that month...unless he plans on taking the bus everywhere. Any negotiation is all about leverage and each person's next best alternative. The fact is, he's still on the hook for the lease, and wants to get out. Of course, if you draw too much of a line in the sand on his requests, he may try to find someone else who's willing to accept his terms.
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go to leasetrader.com, they have all sorts of lease takeover deals there.
Old 05-09-2008 | 02:30 PM

2014 E350 Convertible
ya been watching leasetrader, swapalease and craigslist for past couple weeks now. Havn't seen too much that I liked so far that was reasonable. Good advice though.