C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil Change Timing Question (distance vs. time)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 J30\71 220 gas 4-speed
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
It's quite simple. First, I have a harsher set of miles in Phoenix, in the desert, and with stop and go driving.
I'd say Phoenix's heat is easier on an engine and most mechanical bits than Buffalo's winters. It seems harsh to us, but ambient is only half an engine's running temperature.

Interesting tidbit about the teaspoon of "dirt" being fatal to an engine. If needed, GM used to actually have a part number for Dirt. I don't know what the constituents were, nor what use it was for, but you could buy it from them.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
So GM was in the dirt business eh? I wonder if their pricing can complete with Home Depot...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=Defiant;2928192]I'd say Phoenix's heat is easier on an engine and most mechanical bits than Buffalo's winters. It seems harsh to us, but ambient is only half an engine's running temperature....QUOTE]

Since more wear occurs when an engine is cold I believe you are correct....although it's been a long time since I've done heat transfer problems. I know you can get thermostats calibrated for different temperatures and block heaters for cold climates you can't always plug in a car when parking it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Defiant
I'd say Phoenix's heat is easier on an engine and most mechanical bits than Buffalo's winters. It seems harsh to us, but ambient is only half an engine's running temperature.

Interesting tidbit about the teaspoon of "dirt" being fatal to an engine. If needed, GM used to actually have a part number for Dirt. I don't know what the constituents were, nor what use it was for, but you could buy it from them.
Yeah! & the US-MIL have an 87 page spec for Chocolate Cake - who cares !! Excuse my use of the word "dirt" but I used it in deference to our US members who are by far in the majority on this forum. In the colony I hail from dust or sand would be more common terminology & in oilco parlance "silica". You Guys call them Dirt bikes - we call them off-road bikes - we call them bonnets - you call them hoods, we call them boots - you call them trunks etc. All that matters is that we communicate!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-09-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by jhartmac
then your best solution is to use diesel motor oil that is the best and most highly refined oil on the market, if you use the retro fit oil filter think like oil changes in excess of 30k or more, this is absolutely NO BULL..........
This statement is incorrect. The requirements of Diesel & Petrol engines have been diverging for many years which is why "goof proof" mixed fleet oils have become a thing of the past. While petrol engine oils have some diesel claims & diesel oils have some petrol claims there are now large compromises involved.

I'm not going to bore people with a long explanation but in today's world the big difference lies in the fact that petrol engine oils are formulated to combat low temperature sludge (Mayonnaise in the rocker box etc.) and diesel engine oils are formulated to combat high temperature sludge (dense black stuff). Dispersancy requirements for Diesel oils are also quite different as a result. Diesel engine oils also have a higher TBN (total base number) to neutralise the by products of higher sulphur levels in DGO than petrol. Excess base in a petrol engine oil can be detrimental. There is no difference in the level of refining between a diesel & petrol engine oil. The better they are, the more highly refined they are & then we move to ISO dewaxing - Group II, Group III, UCBO & Synthetics (or blends of these)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.