C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

H&R coilover rear perch top or bottom??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Ford F350-gone 2002 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 1998 Suzuki Vitara 1995 Mercedes C180-sold
Originally Posted by Blake P
Based on those specs, it looks like your tires are the real problem. I run 225 (F) and 255 (R). At one point I was even running 245 in back for extra clearance. The clip is definitely rubbing, and there's a chance there's some rubbing on the exact opposite side behind the side impact strip because it's pretty thick there too. If it were me, I'd change tires first, then shave the fenders if there's still rubbing, roll the fenders if you absolutely have to, and only raise the car as a last resort.

finally i get what you mean by this, i had my rubbers for the rear springs pulled out and now it rubs, also sounds like the exhaust is knocking on something... looks hot as hell though and i dont want it raised. You havn't got any before and after pics when u shaved yours?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
blake is right about the tire size. i had kumho ecstas at 265 in the rear, and i was rubbing like no tomorrow. i now have 255/35/18 in the rear and it is A OK, even with passengers in the rear!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by DamonAnthony
finally i get what you mean by this, i had my rubbers for the rear springs pulled out and now it rubs, also sounds like the exhaust is knocking on something... looks hot as hell though and i dont want it raised. You havn't got any before and after pics when u shaved yours?
Sorry, I didn't take pics.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
I realize I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead... but I'm trying to figure out how to raise my rear H&R and haven't had any luck on the web or elsewhere on the forum...

Originally Posted by bkbenx
I just got H&R coilovers and there were no instructions. The mechanic installed the perch on the top which makes it impossible to adjust without taking the entire assembly apart. From what I've seen on the BMW's & VW's it seems like they have it on the bottom. It does not make sense that they would design so it's so difficult to adjust the height.
I just found this out too late... b/c now I'm rubbing.

Originally Posted by DamonAnthony
Also just quick, the guy who installed my set up said it was a nightmare to adjust the rear, but the guy I'm using now does it in no time, no hasstle. I think he must have a tool for this as he does it so fast. Might not hurt to drop into another mechanic, the guy i found is one of those modded german car nuts, he knows the ins and outs of **** I didnt even know was built, nor did I care lol, but these guys always seem to know the tricks to doing these cars, imho

Phil
once it is installed (mine already is)... how do i adjust it? and is it easy?

i need to do this asap b/c i got some rubbage going on...

anyone know? (Phister? Coupe Crazy?) I know you guys have H&R's...

(thanks in advance!)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
This is the gap after i drove around to speed up the settling... and how i can only fit a pinky

Here is it after settling (sorry i forgot to put a reference like a coin), but it is slightly lower

I have the Tool for adjustment... I'm just not sure how to get high enough on the rear coilover to use them because it seems that its supposed to be used up top. (unlike VW & audi where its accessible on the bottom of the spring)

To my understanding.. I have to loosen the bolt on top, and adjust the ?perch? with the tool when the car is jacked up.

I just dont know where to put the tool and how to get it in there.. seems like there is no room.

any advice?

I should mention that I'm running 255 in the rear wrapped around 18's

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 06-17-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Most coilovers don't require the bolt to be loosen. Plus in the rear the spring is seperate from the strut. I usually remove my wheels to adjust my height. There's not much room for adjustment.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
H&R coilover's perch sits on the top. i'm sure i've mentioned this somewhere in many suspension threads.

as far as how you adjust it, you will need to have both rear wheels off the ground and use the adjustment wrench from under the car. it's a pain in the ***, but it's the only way unless you want to take them out to adjust.

and just fyi, it makes no difference is the perch is on the bottom because my PSS9 perch IS on the bottom and I still can't adjust it without getting the car off the ground.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 AM

C200 Kompressor A150
Originally Posted by Midnight Koop
I realize I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead... but I'm trying to figure out how to raise my rear H&R and haven't had any luck on the web or elsewhere on the forum...

I just found this out too late... b/c now I'm rubbing.

once it is installed (mine already is)... how do i adjust it? and is it easy?

i need to do this asap b/c i got some rubbage going on...

anyone know? (Phister? Coupe Crazy?) I know you guys have H&R's...

(thanks in advance!)
Damonanthony is me, I have long forgotton the password and since changed emails..

The adjuster sits ontop of the spring, you need to be under the car not in the boot or trunk as you guys call it.

I cant see why yours would rub , my car but it sits on the lowest setting with the rubbers removed and no rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails H&R coilover rear perch top or bottom??-22078_262160452147_705622147_3222793_4317771_n.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by FrankW
H&R coilover's perch sits on the top. i'm sure i've mentioned this somewhere in many suspension threads.

as far as how you adjust it, you will need to have both rear wheels off the ground and use the adjustment wrench from under the car. it's a pain in the ***, but it's the only way unless you want to take them out to adjust.

and just fyi, it makes no difference is the perch is on the bottom because my PSS9 perch IS on the bottom and I still can't adjust it without getting the car off the ground.
i made a friend at NTB and they will let me use their lift...

i was under the car yesterday night and can barely see the threads in the spring from the top. and have no clear view of the perch.

i'll try again removing both rear wheels and going in the back.

So... i won't have to loosen the bolt from the boot? and all i need to do is have both tires off and adjust the perch on the top of the spring on the rears?

i just want to make sure i have this right before i waste their time and lose my access to their lift.

thanks again!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by MelbMerc
Damonanthony is me, I have long forgotton the password and since changed emails..

The adjuster sits ontop of the spring, you need to be under the car not in the boot or trunk as you guys call it.

I cant see why yours would rub , my car but it sits on the lowest setting with the rubbers removed and no rubbing.
every time i drive on an incline or hit a speedbump... it sounds like someone is playing a kazooo in my trunk.... i rolled down the windows driving on a moderate incline and the "zipping" sound is pretty clear.

i can also see some superficial marks on the tires... NTB measured it and said the tires were 10.5 inches wide! i guess i didn't realize that the tire added another inch to the wheel width... unless they were off.

if i can't figure it out... i'll just take a dremmel and shave off the interior parts of the impact strips that seem to be scraping it... i just prefer not to shave it if I can raise it.

thanks again

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 06-18-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Midnight Koop
i made a friend at NTB and they will let me use their lift...

i was under the car yesterday night and can barely see the threads in the spring from the top. and have no clear view of the perch.

i'll try again removing both rear wheels and going in the back.

So... i won't have to loosen the bolt from the boot? and all i need to do is have both tires off and adjust the perch on the top of the spring on the rears?

i just want to make sure i have this right before i waste their time and lose my access to their lift.

thanks again!
if when you install it you had the perch at the proper height you should be able to see them and adjust them up and down. only if you had the rear really low you probably won't be able to get the adjustment wrench in there.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-19-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by FrankW
if when you install it you had the perch at the proper height you should be able to see them and adjust them up and down. only if you had the rear really low you probably won't be able to get the adjustment wrench in there.
I think that's what happened...i might have to take it out to raise it up...not fun

EDIT: for now.. i just took a dremel to the rear inner tabs that were close to the tires and shaved them a bit. (as recommended by Blake in this thead). It's a temporary fix before I raise the rear... but at least there is no more squeal

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 06-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.