C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

steering problems...looking for diagnosis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
steering problems...looking for diagnosis

so i have this problem that after many times to the dealer, will not go away. The problem feels like very loose steering, specifically at speeds over 65 mph and whenever the car hits a bump. When the car goes over a bump or hump in the road, at any speed, the steering wheel is jerked to the side of the leading wheel. At higher speeds or when cornering, any small undulation throws the steering off dramatically and can get a bit scary. Also, there seems to be significant play in the wheel while traveling straight to the point where i can turn the wheel from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock without turning the car much at all as well as the car feels like it is wandering in the lane. I have brought to dealer for several months and have had my front shock replaced, lower control arms, front sway bar and bushings, motor mounts and some bushings (not sure which ones). I have also swapped tires, rims, brakes and have had alignments done at 2 separate benz dealerships and independent alignment shops. I have also tried adjusting tire pressures and using the nitrogen fill for the tires. I dont know what could be the problem but i just want it fixed. Anyone have similar problems or could suggest some potentials? Could it be steering rack or maybe a failing speed sensitive steering solenoid? any suggestions would be great so i can take the car back to the dealer and direct them to fixing this. thanks so much...cheers!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jokerswld34
so i have this problem that after many times to the dealer, will not go away. The problem feels like very loose steering, specifically at speeds over 65 mph and whenever the car hits a bump. When the car goes over a bump or hump in the road, at any speed, the steering wheel is jerked to the side of the leading wheel. At higher speeds or when cornering, any small undulation throws the steering off dramatically and can get a bit scary. Also, there seems to be significant play in the wheel while traveling straight to the point where i can turn the wheel from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock without turning the car much at all as well as the car feels like it is wandering in the lane. I have brought to dealer for several months and have had my front shock replaced, lower control arms, front sway bar and bushings, motor mounts and some bushings (not sure which ones). I have also swapped tires, rims, brakes and have had alignments done at 2 separate benz dealerships and independent alignment shops. I have also tried adjusting tire pressures and using the nitrogen fill for the tires. I dont know what could be the problem but i just want it fixed. Anyone have similar problems or could suggest some potentials? Could it be steering rack or maybe a failing speed sensitive steering solenoid? any suggestions would be great so i can take the car back to the dealer and direct them to fixing this. thanks so much...cheers!
Why haven't they replaced the steering rack and checked the pinion gear on the steering wheel shaft? Also, the

When turning the wheel lock to lock, is the effort to turn the wheel linear or are there area's where it becomes harder to turn the wheel?

It's great that MB is changing out wear and tear items like shocks, motor mounts and bushings, but all dealers to a degree use warranty work as a racket to bill the manufacturer for parts and labor. Plus warranty parts are put on at cost leaving labor as the thing they can bill MBUSA. It's easier to justify a $200 control arm than it is a $2000 steering rack. Much more paperwork, documentation and signatures, aka a hassle,

Other times corporate policy is to follow a flow chart on how to diagnose/fix a problem than it is to use common sense.

Your problem is a safety issue. You identified the problem and the dealer is responsible/liable for fixing it.

When they write out the papers where it states, "customer states car is xxx....." and then they list what they did to fix it, it leaves them liable since they didn't fix it.

No matter how apologetic or nice they may be to you, bring up the safety/liability issue to get them to stop screwing around,
Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
thanks for the detailed reply. you are absolutely right about the dealership and the way in which they milk corporate benz. i feel that my car is a safety risk especially when i drive for long periods of time like say from MA to NYC (which i do at least once/week). the steering is not linear when turning hard over and it feels like there are a few small spots that get tighter as I turn the wheel. when the car was in last, i took the tech for a ride and he mentioned steering rack but then i had my control arms fixed, a totally separate issue, and was told the car should be perfect. In fact, the new control arms made it worse because now that the control arms are new and tight, the car is wandering even more with that loose steering feel. ill be scheduling another appt with benz this week.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09CLK550Cab 61k miles
I'm searching the forums, and this is exactly how my 04 CLK drives with 75K miles. "The dealership said that's just the way it goes, they get loose with age."

I would love to know if it's the steering rack and/or pump. I found this place on ebay (garo_steering_parts_international (1717)) that will rebuild your current rack for $370, and I found an indy shop that will charge 2-4 hours to swap the rack at $60/hr, so it is in the reasonable sort of price range.

Suppose I should replace the pump too? I've heard a buzzing sort of noise from it...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
From what I've seen on the forum that looks like a fair deal. Remember to make sure shocks, all rubbers, bushes & ball joints are in good order.