C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005,C230 Kompressor 6-speed Sports Sedan HELP plz*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
2005,C230 Kompressor 6-speed Sports Sedan HELP plz*

Hello,

Im new here, Like to say hello to everyone.

I just sold my BMW E46 and looking for a MB,. Looking at the 05 c230,4dr 6-speed, 46kmiles. But iv been trying to find info about how reliable, they are and all i have found is bad bad news(lawsuits under the lemon act-here in IL). I do like it, dove it and liked how it drove. BUT like i said i have found bad news of bad experiences. So what more but to ask people that have or know about MB.

I only know about BMW lol. If anyone can plz give me any info that would be great. I would like to know if people have had good or bad experience. plz let me know, since i might go buy the car today. But only thing holding me back is all the bad news.
Any help would be great.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
The 2005+ cars seem to be generally more reliable. Of course, with any make and brand, you can get the occasional problem child. Do your research (carfax, maintenance history), have the car checked out by a MB Mechanic and you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 w203,85 w123
Originally Posted by e1000
The 2005+ cars seem to be generally more reliable. Of course, with any make and brand, you can get the occasional problem child. Do your research (carfax, maintenance history), have the car checked out by a MB Mechanic and you should be fine.
+1. E is right on! The 05's have shown to be pretty reliable. The Bimmer is more fun to drive (to some people) but as long as u have someone who can check out ur car before purchase, u probably will be happy w/the Benz. I've had both & while I miss my BMW (when I feel like driving crazy) I couldnt be more ecstatic to be in a C class. Lots of horror stories out there,but this forum is terrific for info & more SUCCESS stories than bad ones. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 AM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
So far my 2005 C230 has been okay. These are the issues I've had.

Transmission leak at 2,000 miles. Fixed under warranty and fine since then. If you search you'll see that this was common. Apparently, it was a bad connector/seal from the factory.

The Amplifier died and was replaced under warranty.

I had some minor rattles that were fixed under warranty.

That's it.

My only regret is that I wish I had purchased a manual transmission. Like you, I came from a BMW.

As a preventative measure, I had wires installed to deal with leaking CAM sensors. If you do a search, you'll see the information on this. I didn't have the leaking problem, I just had the wires installed for piece of mind.

Gas mileage is very good. On a recent trip, the average MPG was 30.8 and this included some city driving.

Leif
Old 07-18-2008, 11:45 AM

My gas sipping C-Class
Originally Posted by e1000

I really like the C350 in the W203 set-up. I would want a manual, but I'm sure it feels great with the 7spd auto.

My 2005 C230k has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have 144,000 + miles on the stock clutch, radiator & hoses.
I've follwed the service schedule, but quit using the dealer when my warranty was up.
I did have my air bag and cam sensors replaced under, a recall, this year. The cam sensors seemed to be an issue with the M271 engine; however, mine had around 130k miles on them when they were replaced and showed no signs of failure.
I had an issue with my alternator that actually caused an issue with my A/C compressor. Had the sprag bearing not gone bad on the alternator, or had I had it checked out sooner, I'm sure the original a/c compressor would still be in the car. I think I drive with the a/c on about 99% of the time, so that's a great testament to the quality of the compressor.

I go through brakes, tires, oil, and light bulbs, but that's about it.

I also get incredible gas mileage for the size of my car. It's not hard at all for me to average 31-33 mpg on the highway. I can't think of too many cars, this size, that can make the same claim. Unfortunately, yours won't see that kind of mileage. Then again, you would also never see my tail lights if we were to race.

Scott
Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM

none
Thanks

Thanks for all your help with providing info, if there is more people out there with info, that would be nice if you can keep posting any help will help me out., i will see if i buy the car today or tomorrow or go a diferent way.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2004.5 has been dead on reliable, scary for a German car.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

none
Originally Posted by scottisha
I really like the C350 in the W203 set-up. I would want a manual, but I'm sure it feels great with the 7spd auto.

My 2005 C230k has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have 144,000 + miles on the stock clutch, radiator & hoses.
I've follwed the service schedule, but quit using the dealer when my warranty was up.
I did have my air bag and cam sensors replaced under, a recall, this year. The cam sensors seemed to be an issue with the M271 engine; however, mine had around 130k miles on them when they were replaced and showed no signs of failure.
I had an issue with my alternator that actually caused an issue with my A/C compressor. Had the sprag bearing not gone bad on the alternator, or had I had it checked out sooner, I'm sure the original a/c compressor would still be in the car. I think I drive with the a/c on about 99% of the time, so that's a great testament to the quality of the compressor.

I also get incredible gas mileage for the size of my car. It's not hard at all for me to average 31-33 mpg on the highway. I can't think of too many cars, this size, that can make the same claim. Unfortunately, yours won't see that kind of mileage. Then again, you would also never see my tail lights if we were to race.

Scott

Wow, scott ...144k, and on the same stock cluch??? really thats hard to belive,. I have seen is300 go with stock to 120++ with stock cluch.. I had a is300 to but it was auto/triptronic. Sold long time ago, got to boring for me with the auto.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by scottisha

Scott
yes, VERY impressive mileage numbers.

I wanted to get a 6-speed but I was living in Chicago at the time so I got the 7G. She's my baby though
Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM

none
Retelling when you first start car, the guy said the car has not been turned on for a few days. The noise sounded like it kinda came from the headers or exhaust somewhere,Ideals a little high then came down. But I test drove it and then turned off and on and off and the car did not do it again(everything sounded norman). Any thought on this?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Originally Posted by wheaton
Retelling when you first start car, the guy said the car has not been turned on for a few days. The noise sounded like it kinda came from the headers or exhaust somewhere,Ideals a little high then came down. But I test drove it and then turned off and on and off and the car did not do it again(everything sounded norman). Any thought on this?

The M271 sounds like a lawn mower when you first start it and it's cold. Mine always does that. Before I purchased the car , I noticed another car that we'd test driven sounded the same. I'm sure other C230 (with the supercharged 4) owners can chime in with the samething. The sound only lasts for a couple of minutes. It's normal. If you do a search, I think you'll find other threads talking about this.

Leif W.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM

none
Originally Posted by LeifW
The M271 sounds like a lawn mower when you first start it and it's cold. Mine always does that. Before I purchased the car , I noticed another car that we'd test driven sounded the same. I'm sure other C230 (with the supercharged 4) owners can chime in with the samething. The sound only lasts for a couple of minutes. It's normal. If you do a search, I think you'll find other threads talking about this.

Leif W.
Well sounds like you guys on here got me just almost convinced. I had a honda civic long time ago. AND when i first turned the c230 ,on i was like what the ****. my damn civic sounded better lol jk,.I was like whats wrong with the car.. But Thanks for clearing it up, sounds like if i do get the car, that will be a normal thing. Non of my friends have a Benz(lexus,bmw,infinity,nissan,s2000, ) and if they hear that nois there going to talk talk, about how here car are not Benz and there cars sound better... I could just here that coming out and i don't even have the c230 yeat. I hope that noise thing will not be to bad and get worst.

I have not really heard anything bad on the 05c230, this is a first, cuz everywhere i had looked other then hear they where saying to many bad things. Has anyone had anything bad?

Also sounds like i will have to look into the Recall#2008020002 hose thing
Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 PM

My gas sipping C-Class

Leif W.
Mine too.
The other day my neighbor said, "Hey man, I think you have an exhaust leak up by your exhaust manifold or cat.
Then he heard the car warmed up and was like, "Now I don't hear it"..."hmmmm".

Scott
Old 07-18-2008, 04:13 PM

02 w203,85 w123
Yup! Just normal

Leif W.
+1. My C240 does same thing! Mom's C320 does same thing!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:26 PM

none
noise

This is the first time i have heard this on a car. Thats why i ask you guys the pros. Like i said the E46 that was/is my thing. I have owend Turbo cars but non of them made that nois. Its kinda freaky thing why they all do that(c230?. But sounds like normal going off your input. I don't know if the supercharger puts out more pressure or what it is when its first started.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
2010 c300
Mine makes the same noise. Even louder with the AC on.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM

none
IM so so mad,
Prestige imports dealer(in IL) can go to hell.

I saw the Benz two days ago. Came to a number $17,250. one head light was out, so he sent it to MB dealer to get fixed. And the fuel door was dented he was going to fix that too. Then he said the car will be ready the next day(yesterday) But yesterday they called and said the car is not ready. So today they call me and say O , the car is sold. Another sale man had an out of state buyer(who they he has been talking to) and he came today!. I was so mad, today i was planning to get the c230., looks like im going to have to look for something now.

Damn things always don't go the way you want it.
Thanks for all your input but looks like im not geting a c230 anytime soon. Im looking for 05 blk on blk 6-speed manual. it took me a long time to find this one and now looks like it will take longer.
Is the car really worth waiting to find another one?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM

2005 1.8 B/B
IM so so mad,

I saw the Benz two days ago. Came to a number $17,250. one head light was out, so he sent it to MB dealer to get fixed. And the fuel door was dented he was going to fix that too. Then he said the car will be ready the next day(yesterday) But yesterday they called and said the car is not ready. So today they call me and say O , the car is sold. Another sale man had an out of state buyer(who they he has been talking to) and he came today!. I was so mad, today i was planning to get the c230., looks like im going to have to look for something now.

Thanks for all your input but looks like im not geting a c230 anytime soon. Im looking for 05 blk on blk 6-speed manual. it took me a long time to find this one and now looks like it will take longer.
wow, i have 05 c230 black in black with navi, 6 speed
Fun to drive~ and she looks hot : )
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM

02 w203,85 w123
Damn,dude...That sux!! Nothing worse than dishonest Stealerships...(Redundant,huh). Man,if u can find another manual,its worth the wait. If not, a Bimmer aint a bad consolation! But w/o a doubt,the Mercedes marque has more cache & as someone who's owned both,I have had more fun & more comments about my C than I did w/any of my Bimmers! U should report those effers,man. Good luck...Let us kno what happens
Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
IM so so mad,

I'm pretty sure there's a black on black 6spd for sale at www.traderonline.com
One of only 3 or 4 2005's for sale in the country.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
I guess there's more than 1. My bad.
:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...sfyc=&systime=
Old 07-19-2008, 12:55 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
That question is a bit hard to answer. I have no regrets about buying my car (I have had it since new). I would definitely choose the same thing again. However, everyone has his/her own opinion.

I think the driveline for which you are searching (1.8 liter 4-cylinder supercharged M271 engine and 6-speed manual transmission) is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, this combination is somewhat rare in the US. If you want the manual transmission, you will NOT be happy with an automatic, so don't fall into that trap.

If you can expand your color choices, you may find a few more acceptable cars. White, silver, red, etc.? Also, if you could be happy with the V6 engine, you can also shop for 2006 and 2007 models. Be aware the V6 uses more fuel, and is not quite as quick as the M271 engine.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:48 AM

fleet vehicle
I...So today they call me and say O , the car is sold...
I feel your pain. Similar thing happened when I bought my coupe.

I had made arrangements for a pre-sale mechanical, called to pick the car up and was told the car had sold. "An offer I couldn't refuse", he said. A sale without a pre-sale inspection, that is. I think I dodged a bullet.

Two weeks later I found another one, a year newer and with fewer miles.

I really love the 6 speed. Keep lookin'.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Wow, scott ...144k, and on the same stock cluch??? really thats hard to belive,. I have seen is300 go with stock to 120++ with stock cluch.. I had a is300 to but it was auto/triptronic. Sold long time ago, got to boring for me with the auto.
Had a 1993 Ford Probe GT 5-speed V6. Sold it with 189,000. Still original clutch. If you know how to drive a stick shift, your clutch can last endlessly.

Cintoman
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM

none
Thanks to all

Thanks for all your information.

I was looking and looking and did not find anything. So i found out that one of my older bro friend was was thinking of putting his car for sale. A ride i could not pass by. So looks like the MB will have to wait for some other time.

My new ride is a Exotice 350z fairlady,.. kinda like the one from tokyo drift

Looks the same but a litter color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFmgGp6_Rw