C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Thumbs up So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

OK you guys, some of you may have seen my earlier responses about having driven the 2.3L C230K to see what it was all about. I've got an '02 C240 6-spd. My experience was that although quicker, the 2.3L engine was somewhat rough when compared with the 2.6L V6. Then, all the talk about the 1.8L and that it apparently is going to find it's way into the sedan. So, today I went to drive one...C230K 6-spd coupe w/ 1.8L that is.

Well I have to admit, whatever coarseness problems there were with the 2.3L have been solved with the 1.8L -- very smooth and rev happy! I don't know how you guys w/ manuals can keep it under 5K before shifting :p. OK, it still "sounds" like a 4-cyl, but if it gets into the sedan, people will definitely have to think about it vs. the V6's. My salesperson was on vacation, but another sales guy wasn't so sure about the 1.8L sedan info.

Anyway, some people have said the 1.8L sedan will have the sport package standard with aluminum trim, etc. I still prefer my "sedate" sedan non-sport touring ride and wood trim -- I wonder how the chips will fall. I just hope when I sell my C240 in 3 years I won't have trouble...
Old 12-20-2002, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by MarkL
I just hope when I sell my C240 in 3 years I won't have trouble...
Don't worry - someone will prefer the V6 in your car for the very same reasons you did. Also the wood trim will look more luxurious - although I imagine that the wood would also be available as an option for the C230K sedan. Also was the four cylinder sound more from the engine or the exhaust? I could see where the slightly longer layout of the sedan might quiet it somewhat.

Cheers, BT
Old 12-20-2002, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by trench
Also was the four cylinder sound more from the engine or the exhaust? I could see where the slightly longer layout of the sedan might quiet it somewhat.
I know the 2.3 gets a lot of its rough sound from the exhaust. I have only driven with the rear seats folded down once, and when i did, I noticed that I could hear the sound much louder. Has anyone else noticed this? I thought there was something wrong at first, until I realized that I was just hearing the exhaust sound that the seats usually quiet.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:33 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Re: Re: Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by Matt230K
I know the 2.3 gets a lot of its rough sound from the exhaust. I have only driven with the rear seats folded down once, and when i did, I noticed that I could hear the sound much louder. Has anyone else noticed this? I thought there was something wrong at first, until I realized that I was just hearing the exhaust sound that the seats usually quiet.
that's a interesting idea. i could give that a try although i don't hav a C-coupe.

btw, I was finally seating in the back seat of my car last time while my sister was driving. Some of the people had complaint that the AMG muffler is not loud enough, but when i was sitting in the backseat the muffler sounded different than seating in the driver's seat. I almost couldn't hear the music that was playing in the car because of the exaust note.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:14 AM

2002 C240
Re: Re: Re: Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by FrankW
that's a interesting idea. i could give that a try although i don't hav a C-coupe.

btw, I was finally seating in the back seat of my car last time while my sister was driving. Some of the people had complaint that the AMG muffler is not loud enough , but when i was sitting in the backseat the muffler sounded different than seating in the driver's seat. I almost couldn't hear the music that was playing in the car because of the exaust note.
Your AMG muffler is loud because of the powerful 349HP from your engine. And also you have the full AMG exhaust system but I only have the rear end muffler. =)
Old 12-21-2002, 10:09 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: Re: Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by Matt230K
I can second that! I drove my wife to the airport the other day with the seats down, and the noise increased considerably.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:41 AM

C230K
Re: So, I drove a 1.8L C230 today...umm, wow!

Originally posted by MarkL
OK
Well I have to admit, whatever coarseness problems there were with the 2.3L have been solved with the 1.8L -- very smooth and rev happy! I don't know how you guys w/ manuals can keep it under 5K before shifting :p. OK, it still "sounds" like a 4-cyl, but if it gets into the sedan, people will definitely have to think about it vs. the V6's. My salesperson was on vacation, but another sales guy wasn't so sure about the 1.8L sedan info.
(
A lot of people who own the 2002 C230K trash the new 1.8 engine. I own one and have the same feeling that you had. It is smooth and rev happy. And when you push it, there is that nice supercharger whine.