C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Back pressure on supercharged cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' GLK
Back pressure on supercharged cars

I wanna know real world experience from you guys regarding to the back pressure on supercharged C230. I know from a 2.5L turbo engine, you can throw on a 3.5" straight pipe and it still makes more power than stock. But on a NA Honda engine, it'll lose power even if you don't have a muffler but retain the stock pipe diameter.

So, what's the deal with the C230 superchaged engine? I'm looking to put in a stock diameter pipe but delete the muffler (retain the resonator), or simply put another resonator after the stock resontor.

*Don't flame me for a honda fanboy, but I'm looking for a very throaty exhaust "noise" (almost impossible with a supercharger due to it's slower response) , just a little experience I wanna try. I know I'm not driving a rally car
Old 07-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is @ Home
Originally Posted by bwco
I wanna know real world experience from you guys regarding to the back pressure on supercharged C230. I know from a 2.5L turbo engine, you can throw on a 3.5" straight pipe and it still makes more power than stock. But on a NA Honda engine, it'll lose power even if you don't have a muffler but retain the stock pipe diameter.

So, what's the deal with the C230 superchaged engine? I'm looking to put in a stock diameter pipe but delete the muffler (retain the resonator), or simply put another resonator after the stock resontor.

*Don't flame me for a honda fanboy, but I'm looking for a very throaty exhaust "noise" (almost impossible with a supercharger due to it's slower response) , just a little experience I wanna try. I know I'm not driving a rally car
Well concept is the same... its flow velocity.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
on a side note- these cars don't make hardly any additional power due to a muffler or pipe modification. the power is made via headers and maybe a cat delete or hi-flow cats.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Cant you pre 2006 c230 kompressor guys run a larger cranker pulley to over boost the supercharger? We do it all day over on the C32 board.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 PM

2016 C63s AMG

Here is some info I think you should know. 2003,2004 and 2004.5 C230 kompressors came with a resonator on the rear section(3rd section) of the exhaust set up. The 2005 kompressor came with a secondary cat in the mid section(2nd section) of the exhaust The 2003-2005's all came with a 3 section exhaust set up....header and cat 1st section,then secondary cat 2nd section(only on 2005 models), and then resonator(only on 2003-2004.5 models)and muffler 3rd section.
If I am reading your signiture right you have a 2005, which means you have no resonator, but you do have a secondary cat. If you really want to change the sound and increase performance without losing torque, then I would replace your secondary cat with a 200cell(hard to find) or a 300cell random technology cat. Dont worry there are no o2 sensors on this cat, just the primary one. After you do this then I would looking into replacing your muffler not deleting it. From what I researched you can gain about 6 more horses on your top end with a good aftermarket muffler. Search the forum there are a couple of people selling there after market mufflers that I think would give you the sound you are looking for.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM

NA
Please don't turn your Benz into a Honda bumblebee.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM

10' GLK
^thanks for the very constructive opinion regarding a honda ! I love my bumblebee honda and it's faster than a C230K . Thanks for talking out of your real world experience of yourself.

Anyhow, I know exactly how it is under the C230, but I doubt that I wanna raise the boost with a pulley. I would like a flash or at least something to modify the injector duty cycle or the boost solenoid value. But i'm still a noob in playing with my wife's MB.

When I crawl under the C230, i saw 2 cat, one in header, one after that, and 1 resonator, and 1 muffler. I'm looking to take out something but not to lose torque or hp. I'm not looking to gain anything, but just don't lose it.

On a NA car, if u just go straight pipes, you'll lose a lot of torque and hp. On a turbo car, i managed to gain 40+ hp with just a tune.

So, thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM

2016 C63s AMG
^thanks for the very constructive opinion regarding a honda ! I love my bumblebee honda and it's faster than a C230K . Thanks for talking out of your real world experience of yourself.

Anyhow, I know exactly how it is under the C230, but I doubt that I wanna raise the boost with a pulley. I would like a flash or at least something to modify the injector duty cycle or the boost solenoid value. But i'm still a noob in playing with my wife's MB.

When I crawl under the C230, i saw 2 cat, one in header, one after that, and 1 resonator, and 1 muffler. I'm looking to take out something but not to lose torque or hp. I'm not looking to gain anything, but just don't lose it.

On a NA car, if u just go straight pipes, you'll lose a lot of torque and hp. On a turbo car, i managed to gain 40+ hp with just a tune.

So, thanks in advance.
Dont forget turbos and super chargers work tatolly different.. Supercharged cars still need back pressure.
Thats strange that you have a resonator on you 2005? Is the resonator on the sames exhaust section as your muffler?
If you do have a resonator then just remove it and see how you like the sound, if you dont like it then put it back.

Our ecus are very tricky. They are programmed to keep the boost at a certian psi. My car is kleemanized so i dont have any of thoses issue and i dont have any of the fuel and air mixture issues either. Do an ecu search you will see all the different companys that are available.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by pugguy2001
Dont forget turbos and super chargers work tatolly different.. Supercharged cars still need back pressure.
Thats strange that you have a resonator on you 2005? Is the resonator on the sames exhaust section as your muffler?
If you do have a resonator then just remove it and see how you like the sound, if you dont like it then put it back.

Our ecus are very tricky. They are programmed to keep the boost at a certian psi. My car is kleemanized so i dont have any of thoses issue and i dont have any of the fuel and air mixture issues either. Do an ecu search you will see all the different companys that are available.

yes, the 1.8L needs back pressure but I used to follow the SVT crowd when they can easily slap on 3" pipes for those 5.0 supercharged. *too easy*
i guess I'll really have to search and find out more about the kleeman bolt ons.

Yes, the 05 coupe has a resonator on the muffler (last section pipe) section ! it's a canadian version, so it's not so cool !
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

2016 C63s AMG
yes, the 1.8L needs back pressure but I used to follow the SVT crowd when they can easily slap on 3" pipes for those 5.0 supercharged. *too easy*
i guess I'll really have to search and find out more about the kleeman bolt ons.

Yes, the 05 coupe has a resonator on the muffler (last section pipe) section ! it's a canadian version, so it's not so cool !
Oh mine is a sedan. Maybe that is the other differnce.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 AM

10' GLK
Oh mine is a sedan. Maybe that is the other differnce.
thanks for all the info !
Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Bottom line - 3 inch piping or bigger on the m271 or m111 is too big.

Turbos run different than superchargers and turbos need bigger piping to increase airflow, whereas superchargers don't need excessive airflow.

After I did the resonator delete, I discovered that the piping is a little choked off on the end portion of the piping going to the muffler. My current piping from the cat-back is probably around 2.5-2.75 now, which is exactly where it needs to be for the mods I have. That's the range you want to shoot for and the great news is that the OEM piping for sport models is already around that range (with exception to the back portion of the piping leading to the muffler).
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
You have to strike a balance between exhaust velocity and relieving back pressure.

If you lose velocity, you lost low end torque. The car is optimized from the factory to offer the best combindation of low end torque and hp. You noticed this on your NA honda when you went with a bigger exhaust then 2.5.

On a turbo car, its different because the turbo will make up for the low end torque and relieving backpressure is more of a issue. You can see this on your wrx.

I say keep it stock unless your turning up the boost on the supercharger, then that would actually benefit from a larger exhaust.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
You have to strike a balance between exhaust velocity and relieving back pressure.

If you lose velocity, you lost low end torque. The car is optimized from the factory to offer the best combindation of low end torque and hp. You noticed this on your NA honda when you went with a bigger exhaust then 2.5.

On a turbo car, its different because the turbo will make up for the low end torque and relieving backpressure is more of a issue. You can see this on your wrx.

I say keep it stock unless your turning up the boost on the supercharger, then that would actually benefit from a larger exhaust.
yes, exactly. I'd tried straight pipe on a NA honda and turbo Subaru. With no muffler on a NA Honda, the entire engines seems like it lost 2 cyclinder. But on a Turbo Subaru, it gained like 40+ hp with the Tune.
However, On a Supercharged MB, with only 1.8L supercharged, I don't think I can change the pipe diameter much.
Anyhow, I would report back with no muffler. Hopefully, i can get on a dyno locally with that.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:09 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Instead of deleting the muffler,which was designed perfectly with our bumpers, do away with the resonator. People say it doesnt resitrict these cars but I believe it does. I just added a MB resonator to my car, mine is a 2005 sedan, exactly in the same spot where yours is and where the 2003-2004.5 sedans have it. I got back the back pressure I lost from all my mods. Once again my car kicks @ss. Oh I also forgot to metion you must get the sprint booster! It actual activates the supercharger sooner which an awesome feeling, well in my car atleast. Some people felt it was to responsive but then again those cars are stock.
So if you are trying to get more out of your supercharger I would try the sprint booster and definatlily a kleemann pulley kit, if you can find one.
Just remeber trial and errror gets expensive with these cars.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 AM

10' GLK
Instead of deleting the muffler,which was designed perfectly with our bumpers, do away with the resonator. People say it doesnt resitrict these cars but I believe it does. I just added a MB resonator to my car, mine is a 2005 sedan, exactly in the same spot where yours is and where the 2003-2004.5 sedans have it. I got back the back pressure I lost from all my mods. Once again my car kicks @ss. Oh I also forgot to metion you must get the sprint booster! It actual activates the supercharger sooner which an awesome feeling, well in my car atleast. Some people felt it was to responsive but then again those cars are stock.
So if you are trying to get more out of your supercharger I would try the sprint booster and definatlily a kleemann pulley kit, if you can find one.
Just remeber trial and errror gets expensive with these cars.
Sprint booster would definately be the last thing on earth that I would purchase. If it doesn't alter my boost curve, nor my injector duty cycle, nor my boost solenoid duty cycle. It means it doesn't make more power. I'd read a full report of what sprint booster is. It's just alter the throttle position value with the ECU, which you can achieve the same thing with just a heavier foot ! Sprint Booster is just an illusion of power. No real horsepower gain !

A resonator/glass pack/perforated exahust housing unit will not decrease the exhaust velocity as much as the oem exhaust. I'm looking more of a muffler delete and weld in a glass pack. Anyone?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 AM

'05 S60R, '99 A4 1.8T avant Stage 3
Sprint booster would definately be the last thing on earth that I would purchase. If it doesn't alter my boost curve, nor my injector duty cycle, nor my boost solenoid duty cycle. It means it doesn't make more power. I'd read a full report of what sprint booster is. It's just alter the throttle position value with the ECU, which you can achieve the same thing with just a heavier foot ! Sprint Booster is just an illusion of power. No real horsepower gain !

A resonator/glass pack/perforated exahust housing unit will not decrease the exhaust velocity as much as the oem exhaust. I'm looking more of a muffler delete and weld in a glass pack. Anyone?
your wife should love her bumble bee c230 by the time you're done... do you copy and paste your questions? your first post gave me the impression you do not really know what you're talking about.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 AM

10' GLK
yeah, i guess i don't know what i'm talking about. I had never play around with supercharged cars. I'd only wrench around turbo charged cars.
The original questions doesn't matter anymore. I'm trading in her C230 for an M3 or S4. No more supercharged
Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah, i guess i don't know what i'm talking about. I had never play around with supercharged cars. I'd only wrench around turbo charged cars.
The original questions doesn't matter anymore. I'm trading in her C230 for an M3 or S4. No more supercharged
thats the most cost efficent way to increase your hp anyways. Are you getting a e46 or e92?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

10' GLK
i'm looking at a E46. The E92 is a bit too expensive for me at this moment to afford. I'd a newborn coming, so the E46 is good for the wife. I'll be getting a Scion as a babymobile !
Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM

2001 c200k with kleemann pulley
klemann pulley is sure good addition to supercharge car ... i been more than happy since i have install that thing ... i also recently got a sprint booster for which i have not consider previously ... the result is divided if look at this forum ... i like it becos its more responsive ... i hate it becos its more jerky ... i guess for daily drive in traffic jam ... put on winter mode which will smooth hings out a little ... and if u going to race the wrx ... haha i wouldn't bother anyway ... i'll switch back to s mode and esp off ... that'll do the trick ...

mind u in australia ... my c200k with mod is good enough to keep those australian 4.0L big sedan honest ... most don't have enough room or power to jump on me from rest ... any australia friend in sydney have the same experence?

btw i also have after marker exhaust + k&n air filter ... never did dyno on mine so i not too sure how much gain i have ... but i think i have easily 150kw on tap if not more ...

any sydney c class friend out there to share aus experience?