C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car Accident!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230
Car Accident!!!

Well it finally happened. I was struck from behind by a Toyota Corolla in Garden Grove, CA. I just decided to post since I'm not able to go to work right now. I'm going to the doctors on monday for some shoulder, neck, and back pain. Any guesses on how much the damage would be? I'll post what the insurance tells me and we'll see who had the best guess. Hope everything goes well with the insurance. Don't know exactly how they handle these accidents and this is my first. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails Car Accident!!!-img_0318.jpg   Car Accident!!!-img_0319.jpg   Car Accident!!!-img_0320.jpg   Car Accident!!!-img_0322.jpg  
Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
people seems to be running into a lot of Corollas. lol

glad you're alright.

from the picture on the side the lower frame seems to be pushed forward (where the rear door and panel meets). I hope that's just the quarter panel and not the frame because if the frame is twisted the insurance will probably total it. What sucks about it however is that they won't know until they fix the rear suspension bits if they can't find visual evidence of the frame twist. If they started fixing the car and then find the frame twisted they may or may not total the car at that point. If they continued to fix it after finding out the frame is twisted they can put the car on a chassi puller (or whatever that is called) and pull it back within factory spec. BUT IMO at that point you might want to consider selling the car when you get the car back.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
that sucks...yeah i hate driving in that area. A lot of people dont know how to drive over there. I bet it was one of those really old corrollas too. Its usually always the people who drive really beat up cars that don't really car how fast they drive or worry about messing up there car.

I hope the accident hasn't caused any personal injury. If the frame damaged in any way, just total it. Even if they fix the frame, the car will never drive the same again.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Ouch! I hope you have no lingering neck/back problems.

I doubt they will declare the car a total loss. Your C230K is still worth a lot of money. The cost of repair must be around 70 to 80 percent of the car's value to be a total.

Nonetheless, you have several thousand dollars of damage. Take it to a Mercedes certified body shop, if possible. If not, take it to a recommended high line body shop that does a lot of Mercedes work.

The insurance company will try to "steer" you to one of their "preferred" shops. Avoid this, since they are trying to do it on the cheap.

Also, since the accident was not your fault, you should make a claim for "diminished value" on your Mercedes. The insurance company will not volunteer this information. You may have to get a private professional appraiser, but it is worth thousands of dollars on your claim.

Getting money out of the other driver may be like getting blood out of a turnip. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
Sorry about the accident. I agree, make sure you're only going to a Mercedes Benz body shop. Don't let the insurance company try to steer you to a cheap place. It's really worth going to the right place, especially when it comes to getting a proper paint job on a Benz. Glad you're ok.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
At least $12,000 to repair. Might be getting close to a total loss.

I had a Toyota Camry smack the left front corner of our 2004 last fall. Only slight damage to the fender, bumper cover, scratched the wheel and broke a tie rod. Repair was $4200.

Last edited by wblynch; 07-27-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
I too am guessing it's a total loss. Keep us posted though.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM

2005 C230
Update

Got the call today. The car is getting totalled, insurance offered about $21k which i think is a fair deal since the car had about 71k miles on it. Now my only dilemma is what to get next. I'm 30 years old and was planning on buying a house late next year so I didnt want to have a big/any car payment next year when I apply for a home loan. Maybe I'll see what kind of a deal I can get on a '08 C class since the '09 are about to come out. If I only have to finance about 5k or so maybe I'll do it. We'll see. Thanks for your posts. Any advice on what I should get next?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Frame?

<<from the picture on the side the lower frame seems to be pushed forward (where the rear door and panel meets). I hope that's just the quarter panel and not the frame because if the frame is twisted the insurance will probably total it. >>

MBs have unit bodies. They have no frame. As to the 21K offer, research the market and look at Edmunds.com to verify the value. Keep in mind that your medical expenses and so on are separate.

While I am wading in the W203 pool here, my advice is to buy a W204. I owned a 2001 C320 until last October when I traded it on a C300. The '09 models are just being delivered now and the dealers are stuck with a lot of '08s and I hear that there is now a $3000 MBUSA discount deal available and I'll bet you could do better than that.

I'm going to put on my hard hat and say that the W204 is a far better car than the W203 in every way. The amazing part about my car, which is typical
for the W204, is that it has not had one single defect in 6500 miles. And, the fuel economy is slightly better. What is missing from the '08s are memory seats and steering column and right mirror tiltdown in reverse. I miss these items which my '01 had.

Last edited by RLE; 07-29-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by coconutpolito
Got the call today. The car is getting totalled, insurance offered about $21k which i think is a fair deal since the car had about 71k miles on it. Now my only dilemma is what to get next. I'm 30 years old and was planning on buying a house late next year so I didnt want to have a big/any car payment next year when I apply for a home loan. Maybe I'll see what kind of a deal I can get on a '08 C class since the '09 are about to come out. If I only have to finance about 5k or so maybe I'll do it. We'll see. Thanks for your posts. Any advice on what I should get next?
See I love the exterior of the W204, but I much prefer the interior in parts of the W203. If I could have the new instrument cluster, the the old 2005 facelift center stack, I'd think the new C class was right on. The interior center stack just doesn't "flow" like the 2005-2007 one did. I'm picky on interiors.

I think you will like the new C class though. Nice car, comfy seats, very handsome re-design.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
we're picking up a C350 tomorrow for my mom. $5400 ish off msrp.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Mercedes-Benz has thought about these types of misfortunate occurances - Do you know if your adjuster knows about the fore thought that goes into German Engineered Automobiles...

For example...

Reinforcements are integrated into the A,B and C pillar that extend over the whole length of these components leading to greater stiffness and strength...Individual components ARE created in order to REDUCE repair costs and can be matched to the particular repair area with a set of tracing templates...Mercedes-Benz has created a set of fixtures with a portal side set to inspect and weld in these areas...The multi-part rear longitudinal components have been created with a closed cross section over the entire length to enhance strength. IMPACT and CRUMBLE characteristics (remember Daimler-Benz created crumble zones) are optimized by staggering the sheet metal and changing zoned thicknesses...The rear module is bolted to the rear end is made up of a steel FLEXIBLE member that has more crumbles zones built in. This is replace able and simplifies repairs...When performing work and repair to the rear of the vehicle the rear axle attachment MUST be fixed in place with the threaded sleeves when using the CELETTE fixtures...The vehicle in repair MUST ALWAYS be exactly aligned above the locating holes relative to the straightening rig and fixed in place...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
See I love the exterior of the W204, but I much prefer the interior in parts of the W203. If I could have the new instrument cluster, the the old 2005 facelift center stack, I'd think the new C class was right on. The interior center stack just doesn't "flow" like the 2005-2007 one did. I'm picky on interiors.

I think you will like the new C class though. Nice car, comfy seats, very handsome re-design.
Not to hi-jack...But the new C interior is NOT a Mercedes-Benz...That is a high end VW...I too would never consider a w204 based on the interior dash and console, and the HUGE Bling Bling front star grille on the Sport models...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM

2005 C230
Next Car

What about the 1series bmw. I recently built it online and with the sports package, xenon, and ipod integration came out to about 32k which is the base price of a C300 without any options. Also, BMW has a special 0.9% financing going on right now. i'm looking at all my options and havent seen it in person but it looks okay. I think I'll go down to the dealerships this weekend to look at a couple of cars.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The new 204 is a better car in all respects. Go drive one. I love my 203 & think in some respects it's a better styled car - especially the tail, but have to accept that the 204 is a big step forward once behind the wheel. I will buy one once my car has done a reasonable mileage.

Most of your W204's will be supplied from here in South Africa and if you see the quality control they go through I think you will have a lot less niggles than you have seen with the w203. The pre-build testing the cars have been through both here and in Namibia has been HUGE!!

I look at photos of 203s on this forum and see plenty of fit and finish problems - especially door to fender alignment - front bumper to fender alignment & headlight gap problems etc. The average South African buyer would reject a vehicle for that - remember they cost a lot more months salary in this market than in the USA.

Get a nice new one spec'ed the way you want it

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-29-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
What about the 1series bmw. I recently built it online and with the sports package, xenon, and ipod integration came out to about 32k which is the base price of a C300 without any options. Also, BMW has a special 0.9% financing going on right now. i'm looking at all my options and havent seen it in person but it looks okay. I think I'll go down to the dealerships this weekend to look at a couple of cars.
The 1 Series is not a BMW's butt - Merc A class contender

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-29-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Bling

Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Not to hi-jack...But the new C interior is NOT a Mercedes-Benz...That is a high end VW...I too would never consider a w204 based on the interior dash and console, and the HUGE Bling Bling front star grille on the Sport models...
Ooo, that hurt. But, I'll bet your C is silver with a black interior, right? Black DOES look cheap, cheesey and always dusty. Which is why I went for Beige leather and metallic red.

And I changed the Lux grille to the Sport Grill. And the Multimedia package is fantastic, far better that the Bose system in the old car.

And of course, crash performance is improved.

My C320, Obsidian black with Java leather, most of the option packages plus 17" C36 wheels with Bridgestone RE-050A-PP tires, Bi-Xenons, '05 grille and taillights, W211 mirror lights was a great car except for the continuous never ending problems but it was time to let it go.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

most insurance adjusters just go by the market price for that car in the regional you live in. They don't care about the engineering that went into the car, its probably the high labor rate in southern california that probably caused them to total the car.

If you plan on buying a house, maybe buy a used acura or honda for $10k and keep the other half for your down. Then once your settled, buy a mercedes.

If you need a mercedes, i would suggest just leasing to keep your monthly payments low until you get your loan.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BF_JC230
i some what agree, but more on the exterior side. All the past c's have has some hertiage behind the styling. The new w204 rear looks similar to my mom's 03 camry tail lights. I don't understand why they would copy a toyota. They made the emblem on the grille too big, like it has to scream to let people know its a mercedes. I preferred they more subtle styling from before.

Interior wise, it is superior to the w203. i sat in a 08 c300 and one of the first things i noticed are the higher quality materials. I wasn't a fan of all the chrome they use, but just by touching all the buttons and knobs you can tell its built better.

I do admit though, the new VW's are starting to look much better. Maybe from the audi influence or something. I like the r32 and the new sirocco.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Got the call today. The car is getting totalled, insurance offered about $21k which i think is a fair deal since the car had about 71k miles on it.

Maybe I'll see what kind of a deal I can get on a '08 C class since the '09 are about to come out. If I only have to finance about 5k or so maybe I'll do it. We'll see. Thanks for your posts. Any advice on what I should get next?
The price offered seems to be in line with the NADA retail value on your car. The 71k miles reduced the value by about $1800.

Having your car totalled means the estimated repair costs probably exceeded about $17,000 (~80% of the $21k offer). That is a lot of repairs. Not to mention the time it would be in the body shop (and you driving a tin-can of a rental car), or the diminished value when finished. You are better off starting over with a new car. I am sorry about the financial impact to you.

I would definitely recommend looking for a left-over 2008 model. Sales are slow, and there are deals to be made. Check with a couple of dealers, and on-line sites (like www.edmunds.com) for pricing.