C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

More bad press

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
Jim, I use Carriage House, but it wouldn't matter at this point because the MB rep is calling the shots, not the dealer. Actually, Carriage House has been OK to deal with. They really want to get it fixed, but have their hands tied by MB now.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Jim, I use Carriage House, but it wouldn't matter at this point because the MB rep is calling the shots, not the dealer. Actually, Carriage House has been OK to deal with. They really want to get it fixed, but have their hands tied by MB now.
Who was your salesman? Our's was a big guy named Bruce. Very nice guy

I'd try taking it to another dealer without telling them your previous attempts to fix it. Who knows, maybe their tech's are "better" and may fix it. Isn't it worth a try? You'd only be out some time.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:05 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
I bought the car from Crown in Birmingham. I tried to buy from Carriage House but I couldn't get them to find the car I wanted.
My experience with Mercedes has been bad all around.

AndrewK has the same problem with his trans as I do, and he took his to RBM and they told him the same thing. I think that is the party line now. I'm sure the MB rep is the same for all of the Atlanta area, so other than a long drawn out lemon law law fight, I just have to live with it until I can bite the bullet and take the depreciation loss and trade.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AndrewK has the same problem with his trans as I do, and he took his to RBM and they told him the same thing. I think that is the party line now. I'm sure the MB rep is the same for all of the Atlanta area
My point was that if something like that was really bothering me, I'd take the time to take the car to at least one other, but possibly several other MB dealers to have their own tech's look at it to see if they can figure it out. If their tech's can't find the problem, fine. I'd accept it and possibly move on to the next one. Just because they have the same rep, who may stop in once a month, doesn't mean they can't take a look at it themselves. Does not the rep only get involoved once their tech's fail to find the problem and they call upon him/her for further guidance?

Good luck
Old 12-26-2002, 03:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by Jim Banville

I have always been MUCH more likely to see a BMW than a MB on the roads. I've heard the same thing from other members of this board. And if I do see a MB, it is rarely a W203.
anyway, all the opinion aside. You should come to the LA. There are just as many C-class you would see on the street as you would the 3-series.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:49 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
I don't have time to take this car to all the dealers in Atlanta right now. I have 2 businesses to run, and losing a day per dealer isn't an option right now. Plus, they have to keep it overnight because it is worst when it is cold. I think as soon as they put the vin# in, it will come up with the service history, then they will call the rep, and I will be back to square one. I called Crown to see if they could do anything, and the guy said he would check and get back to me.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
yikes, seems like that magazine got a poorly put together car. having a glove box FALL OUT complete?! that sounds like the infamous vw golf/jetta platform with the window and/or sunroof just fall down. the vw dealer in sf replaces the mechanism for the power window for free for windows the just drop down because it's such a common problem. sheesh.

i've never been in a w203...but have driven a e46 325 a couple of times...and i must say...the ride quality is really really good. ok the interior is a little sparse compared to even a w202...but the ride is very impressive. comfortable, but u feel the suspension work it's way on the bumps....turns where u point. our c36 feels very much the same way...stiffer it is...but just as compliant. my wagon on lowering springs and bilsteins is downright rude on ride quality

Originally posted by David N.
BMW's higher than most...have some of the best V6 engines in the world.
sorry...i don't think bmw builds a v6. they believe a longitutinally mounted inline-6 produces better torque than a v6 ever will. mb used to be like that, like my c36, but then they switched to v6 in 98 or something.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by steve s

sorry...i don't think bmw builds a v6. they believe a longitutinally mounted inline-6 produces better torque than a v6 ever will. mb used to be like that, like my c36, but then they switched to v6 in 98 or something.
My bad steve. Yes, I know BMW makes straight sixes (I also have a Bimmer). I'm so used to writing "V" since that is what my 240 has. Not many auto companies make straight sixes anymore. BMW is one of the last.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

anyway, all the opinion aside. You should come to the LA. There are just as many C-class you would see on the street as you would the 3-series.
Why do you continually want to disregard what I write on the basis that it is just my opinion? Whom else's opinion should I write? Are all your statements FACTS? Please don't answer these questions as this is gitting old. Hey everyone, everything FrankW says is a fact. He can't accept that what other people say reflects their REAL WORLD personal experiences if it conflicts with his FACTS. He is right about everything, so lets sit back and listen to him alone

Last edited by Jim Banville; 12-27-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by David N.
My bad steve. Yes, I know BMW makes straight sixes (I also have a Bimmer). I'm so used to writing "V" since that is what my 240 has. Not many auto companies make straight sixes anymore. BMW is one of the last.
The inline 6 is poised for a comeback. V6's biggest advantage has always been its packaging. The move to all FWD back in the early 80s made 6 Cylinder FWD cars possible. Most inline 6's are too long to be mounted sideways...VW's VR6(its not really a V, not really an inline) motor being the exception. The single head, and single valvtrain are areas in which a mfr can save some mfr-ing costs over the duplicate hardware needed in a V. The return to RWD and the proliferation of SUV's should bring back the inline six.

GM's Inline six makes 275HP, and a whole lotta torque. Its also easily one of the smoothest motors around. And this is only its sophmore year. GM is so pleased with the design they are making an inline 5 for the new 'Colorado' pickup truck.

i've never been in a w203...but have driven a e46 325 a couple of times...and i must say...the ride quality is really really good. ok the interior is a little sparse compared to even a w202
The C-Class as a whole compares rather nicely with BMW's 3 series. The C230 stacks up as a steal against the overpriced 325...and the interior of the 235 is REALLY SMALL. The new C230 Sedan should do just as well.

What's lacking(in the US) is a 2 door product to go head to head with BMW's M3. The C-Coupe could also use a 250ish HP version.

Last edited by Outland; 12-28-2002 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
volvo is one of the few makes that take an inline6 and mount it transversely. the s80 has it. it's got one of the largest engine bays, but even then, volvo had to get a special 5sp auto from gm. it's one of the shortest trannies, i think it might actually be a bent design...forgot. that's why volvo uses the inline5....not as smooth but pretty close to inline6...so they can still mount it transversely for better crash protection... only a few makes have an inline5. volvo has one. acura had an inline-5 in the tl in 97-98. and fiat. and audi back in the 80s with that quattro machine. mb actually has an inline5 engine also, albeit a diesel engine.

oh, i was just in a w203 c320. very solidly built i must say. it feels really solid, esp when u compare it to the w202 c36...much more solid feeling. and the interior has a lot of luxury options, even if they're not standard

let's just say both c class and 3 series are good cars. can't we just all agree that c class is more luxurious, grand touring kinda car and 3 series handles better, sportier feel if not more sparse. how's that?
Old 12-28-2002, 02:07 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Why do you continually want to disregard what I write on the basis that it is just my opinion? Whom else's opinion should I write? Are all your statements FACTS? Please don't answer these questions as this is gitting old. Hey everyone, everything FrankW says is a fact. He can't accept that what other people say reflects their REAL WORLD personal experiences if it conflicts with his FACTS. He is right about everything, so lets sit back and listen to him alone
WOA easy there big boy
you need to learn how to read. i never said my statement was FACTS... would you please find the word "FACT" in my posts and show it to me. thanks.

btw the quote that you quote me was "you should come to LA"(meaning: LA has equally amount of 3 and C) How does that make me disregard what you said??? note: LA = Los Angeles

what you said about me, seems like it's describing yourself. Remember what you said to 604_kpEscoba in the "just a saw the new g35 coupe today.." thread.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i also noticed the interior looks more more luxurious then my c240!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put down that crack pipe!

Last edited by FrankW; 12-28-2002 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by FrankW
I'm in LA. For every w203 I see there'd be at least 3-5 BMW 3x's.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:10 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by oggle
I'm in LA. For every w203 I see there'd be at least 3-5 BMW 3x's.
the LA, LA county or some city in LA county? I'm in Diamond Bar near Rowland Heights. i guess within 40-50 miles it can be pretty different.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by FrankW
the LA, LA county or some city in LA county? I'm in Diamond Bar near Rowland Heights. i guess within 40-50 miles it can be pretty different.
I usually don't go toward Diamond Bar much. More like from Monterey Park to Rowland Heights. I see lots of BMW 325's, a lot more than C240/320's. Every time I see a C class I just turn my head and go "wow nice car".

Over in Westwood though, you will start seeing a lot more MBs. However, most of them are S's, CLKs, and SLKs.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by oggle
I usually don't go toward Diamond Bar much. More like from Monterey Park to Rowland Heights. I see lots of BMW 325's, a lot more than C240/320's. Every time I see a C class I just turn my head and go "wow nice car".

Over in Westwood though, you will start seeing a lot more MBs. However, most of them are S's, CLKs, and SLKs.
you'll usually see more 3 in monterey park. In RH it's about the same.

btw diamond bar is just 5 mins from RH...lol
Old 12-28-2002, 03:03 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by tifosiv122
All the problems seem cosmetic and such...no bad engines, no tranny slips, no major mechanical problems. Nobody buys a MB for the glove box quality....its for the mechanical quality that MB's shine.

Erik
Read it again...

"At the same time we noticed at highway speeds an odd whine emanating from the driveline. The cause? A suspect differential , replaced under warranty. When we discovered water in one of the front fog lamps, we rolled our eyes and set out for the dealer yet again. "
Old 12-28-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by tifosiv122
I don't feel like arguing, but a 'whine' is not a major mechanical problem....talk to the M series BMW owners about mechanical problems, you'll be kissing your MB tires.

Erik
Sorry, but a "whine" from a differential *is* indicative af a major problem, especially with a low mileage vehicle.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by DCXdynodog
Read it again...

"At the same time we noticed at highway speeds an odd whine emanating from the driveline. The cause? A suspect differential , replaced under warranty. When we discovered water in one of the front fog lamps, we rolled our eyes and set out for the dealer yet again. "
Was the differential actually bad? Or just 'suspect'...as in we replaced this...and the problem went away. Did they tear down the diff and find nothing wrong with it? There's plenty of other things that could have been making the noise, and after removing and reinstalling a differential, made the real problem go away.

All I can truthfully say, is that MY C230 has been solid as a rock...no issues whatsoever.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Outland
Was the differential actually bad? Or just 'suspect'...as in we replaced this...and the problem went away. Did they tear down the diff and find nothing wrong with it? There's plenty of other things that could have been making the noise, and after removing and reinstalling a differential, made the real problem go away.

All I can truthfully say, is that MY C230 has been solid as a rock...no issues whatsoever.
If you replace a diff and the noise goes away, It's either a bad gearset, a bad bearing or was assembled incorrectly. you can diagnose it by determining under what load conditions the noise is present. It's pretty simple stuff.

Glad your car has been trouble free, that is how it should be.

Many of us have not been so lucky, the rear axle and transmission assemblies are not very robust in these cars I am very dissapointed in that aspect considering the $$ paid.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:09 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
You are all right.

I am usually reading and posting on the W211 forum. But, a friend is thinking of a new C Class so here I am looking in on the C Class forum.

From my perspective having owned a 3 series and a 5 series BMW and E, S, ML and CLK class MBs at different times in my life, I actually agree with all of what appear to be your differing opinions as strange as that seems. Some places have more 3s than Cs. Some don't. Sometimes BMWs are more reliable than MBs. Sometimes they aren't. Some BMWs drive better than some MBs. Some MBs drive better than some BMWs, etc. etc., etc.

There is no absolute "right". That is why there are many car makers who are successful in getting different ones of us at different times in our lives to buy their products. I for one am totally happy that there are these choices and that everyone doesn't agree on them. Otherwise, this would be a very boring world.

In the meantime, what that means to me is that each of you is "right", because you think that and that is, actually, wonderful.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:32 PM

Bingo ..... and you are really "right".
Best statement on the thread .... by far.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by DCXdynodog
If you replace a diff and the noise goes away, It's either a bad gearset, a bad bearing or was assembled incorrectly. you can diagnose it by determining under what load conditions the noise is present. It's pretty simple stuff.

Glad your car has been trouble free, that is how it should be.

Many of us have not been so lucky, the rear axle and transmission assemblies are not very robust in these cars I am very dissapointed in that aspect considering the $$ paid.
Isn't this the same tranny and rear end that the V6 versions use? It certainly should have some headroom on the Kompressor versions....but then again, you would have the inside track on this kind of stuff.

I just like to know what failed, if it really failed, or was machined wrong... I'd love to hear that someone tore that rear end down, and had the gears checked on a Klingelburg, checked for runout, found a burr, parts weren't assembled right, etc.... I know it means little to the customer, but I've got experience in manufacturing, so from my own curiosity level I'd love to know where the problem occurred...it usually can tell you volumes about the potential for more or future problems.

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems...I haven't, but that doesn't mean I like hearing about things going wrong for others

Cheers!