C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anybody Seen This Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by NG C-Klasse
What I find funny is the unimaginative Mercedes owners who want to be part of a custom community..but drive stock or near stock cars..and have no further plans with them, yet they find them "hot" somehow?

Don't forget to add: "and complain that there isn't a lot of aftermarket available".
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
What I find funny is the unimaginative Mercedes owners who want to be part of a custom community..but drive stock or near stock cars..and have no further plans with them, yet they find them "hot" somehow?

Now I am a for each his own kind of guy..but I do believe that I have generally "good taste" as the majority of the cars I've built have been well accepted by most types of enthusiasts. Would I do what these guys have? No..first off I wouldn't have bought a coupe..to me the dimensions of the thing are all wrong looking, but still nice cars (just not for me). Had that first car been mine to dabble with, I would have done something a little like this (if not touching the paint job was in order). Yes, more aggressive fitment (lower offset and a touch of camber), painted the grill area deep gloss black to match the rest, changed out the mirror winkers with the newer type and bringing it down closer to the ground:
VIP's not for every one. there are 3 types of enthusiasts on this board (well actually four)

1. performance oriented with some show. i.e. brabus, amg, carlsson, lorinser etc. lowers the car to moderate height, brakes, etc. most of us probably don't have a heavy system

2. rice oriented that they just want to slap every mods available (from all type of cars) and then some. i.e. mix and match kits, horrible paint job and hood, etc

3. VIP for show only. i.e. car's slammed to the ground with stretched tires and something like the Fabulous kit or something like a widebody that doesn't do much except looks cool in shows.

4. those that believes stock is best and one should go to hell if they modify the car.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C240 Luxury Model
Then I guess there's 5..because I don't fit into any of those categories.

Vip doesn't equal show only or not street/daily worthy. I think you're being a little closed minded or naive to what actually does and doesn't pass for vip.

I have Auto Couture aero on both of my cars. It's not huge or creates issues for driving...even at very low ride heights. In fact the aero sticks only maybe 1" tops lower than the factory bumpers/skirts. The frame still sits lower:

I do run stretched tires...they are safe and I run them this way daily. NEVER had a problem with them (they are within my car's weight limits and have reinforced sidewalls). I don't just stretch to stretch..I stretch to fit and stretch for suspension geometry clearance. I don't stretch any more than I have to. That's a huge misconception and a huge mistake made by newbs trying to learn about vip cars and the styling cues. Stretching has been being done on race cars forever too..even at blistering speeds:

There's a lot of Euro influence in vip..always has been. And it's very possible to ride low and be safe. Many of us radius the rear fenders to allow for better clearance at low ride heights, some even do the fronts as well. It's unknowledgeable people making claims that get things wrong and make people believe things that aren't true. Why? Because they have no real experience with it. This car built by "You Zealand" in Japan has radiused both the front and rear fenders (and yes, they track the car):

Most vip cars have aftermarket brakes..this includes calipers as well (my Vanden Plas has XJR calipers which I intend to upgrade further to Sessions 6/4 pots). And many of them roll on coilovers..only recently has airsus become more popular to use, but it's still the minority. This vip car has big brakes and coilovers (the blue on the bumpers is to add protection to the paint from debris on the track):

Most vip cars are very classy..although the older era cars were a bit more wild and crazy, but styles evolve over the years. So what went back then, doesn't go now..unless you're building a period correct car. Some guys still prefer the older more out there style.

Just trying to open some eyes...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by FrankW
...there are 3 types of enthusiasts on this board (well actually four)...
I’ve been disenfranchised. Had to morph your #4 into yet another category:

4+. Those that believe stock [appearing] is best and one might go to hell if they [don't] modify their car’s suspension and engine for improved performance.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o

Vip doesn't equal show only or not street/daily worthy. I think you're being a little closed minded or naive to what actually does and doesn't pass for vip.

I have Auto Couture aero on both of my cars. It's not huge or creates issues for driving...even at very low ride heights. In fact the aero sticks only maybe 1" tops lower than the factory bumpers/skirts. The frame still sits lower:

I do run stretched tires...they are safe and I run them this way daily. NEVER had a problem with them (they are within my car's weight limits and have reinforced sidewalls). I don't just stretch to stretch..I stretch to fit and stretch for suspension geometry clearance. I don't stretch any more than I have to. That's a huge misconception and a huge mistake made by newbs trying to learn about vip cars and the styling cues. Stretching has been being done on race cars forever too..even at blistering speeds:

There's a lot of Euro influence in vip..always has been. And it's very possible to ride low and be safe. Many of us radius the rear fenders to allow for better clearance at low ride heights, some even do the fronts as well. It's unknowledgeable people making claims that get things wrong and make people believe things that aren't true. Why? Because they have no real experience with it. This car built by "You Zealand" in Japan has radiused both the front and rear fenders (and yes, they track the car):

Most vip cars have aftermarket brakes..this includes calipers as well (my Vanden Plas has XJR calipers which I intend to upgrade further to Sessions 6/4 pots). And many of them roll on coilovers..only recently has airsus become more popular to use, but it's still the minority. This vip car has big brakes and coilovers (the blue on the bumpers is to add protection to the paint from debris on the track):

Most vip cars are very classy..although the older era cars were a bit more wild and crazy, but styles evolve over the years. So what went back then, doesn't go now..unless you're building a period correct car. Some guys still prefer the older more out there style.

Just trying to open some eyes...
very well thought out! i learned something new today
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I never really liked that...VIPP look... not for me.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

edit: too much to quote...deleted instead of clogging the page.
I've seen your C pics. IMO even tho you call your car VIP it is really not in those catagory as it's not dumped like most VIP cars actually are or rolling on oversized rims with undersized tires. first time seeing your XJ8 VP. now that is indeed very VIP and looks good.

and just to clarify "for show" doesn't mean that they can't be driven daily or have some fun on a track day perhaps, but they are definitely not modded with performance as first priority. take a performance oriented same model and make cars and match it with the vip version on the track and you will see the performance oriented version runs circle around the vip version.

narrow minded? I'm very open to all types of cars, mod scene, and culture. being taiwanese and have traveled to Japan, Hong Kong, China, etc. I love the Japanese culture not just the tuning scene.

stretched look on the old F1 cars were necessity, not because they want them to look that way. old F1 tires are soft, wider rims prevent the tires from popping off the rims under extreme cornering. If you really pay attention the tires weren't stretched, but the rims are the ones with extended lips. Modern F1 gradually went away from that because of the advance in technology on tires and rims.

the stretched look started because people want to run wide rims, but their cars couldn't handle the tires that come with it, so the solution was to run narrower tires that gave them the clearance they needed. there's absolutely no performance reason in doing so.

I only find it funny that people have to defend and justify themselves when some one mentioned opposite of their choice.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-10-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by splinter
I’ve been disenfranchised. Had to morph your #4 into yet another category:

4+. Those that believe stock [appearing] is best and one might go to hell if they [don't] modify their car’s suspension and engine for improved performance.
LOL this is the Splinter catagory
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM

02' C240 Luxury Model
I only find it funny that people have to defend and justify themselves when some one mentioned opposite of their choice.
Which ironically you just did..hehe.

BTW..some people still stretch tires in competition, just not on the extreme. I showed an old pic due to the reference I made to "forever" ago (not as a reference to today's standards..duh) . Running a slightly stretched side wall stiffens the sidewall and creates predictability. I'm not unfamiliar with racing. So don't assume I'm some clueless guy who thinks that vipcars are made to be stockly reliable (it's quite the opposite), but we do make them dailyable.

I stated narrow minded because you gave such a limited description of users. If that's not what you meant to write then so be it..or if you were being vague, then say so next time so I don't assume...I'm very blunt. I'm a straight shooter, so please don't take what I say as an attack. I'm just speaking my mind freely..no candy coating. So it's all good...

Oh and it's an XJ6 (X300) don't let my X308 tail light swap fool you..haha!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM

W203
Like when you throw a hissy-fit about someone callign your ride "boring".
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM

W203
2. rice oriented that they just want to slap every mods available (from all type of cars) and then some. i.e. mix and match kits, horrible paint job and hood, etc
This comment is laughable and just shows your distaste for that style.

Mixing and matching body-kits, hoods, spoilers, ... can be done well.
Eye-catching paint and graphics turn heads.
No, and I repeat, NO modification is reserved for a single manufacturer or model, except the badge.

2. Those not afraid to be unique and try something new.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by amanonfire
Like when you throw a hissy-fit about someone callign your ride "boring".
are you stalking me

i suppose you think this looks very good

from your response sounds like you're having a personal issue with me.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Which ironically you just did..hehe.

BTW..some people still stretch tires in competition, just not on the extreme. I showed an old pic due to the reference I made to "forever" ago (not as a reference to today's standards..duh) . Running a slightly stretched side wall stiffens the sidewall and creates predictability. I'm not unfamiliar with racing. So don't assume I'm some clueless guy who thinks that vipcars are made to be stockly reliable (it's quite the opposite), but we do make them dailyable.

I stated narrow minded because you gave such a limited description of users. If that's not what you meant to write then so be it..or if you were being vague, then say so next time so I don't assume...I'm very blunt. I'm a straight shooter, so please don't take what I say as an attack. I'm just speaking my mind freely..no candy coating. So it's all good...

Oh and it's an XJ6 (X300) don't let my X308 tail light swap fool you..haha!
did what? I only clarified that you thought I said vip couldn't be daily driven. OR maybe you thought that the "something like a widebody that doesn't do much except looks cool in shows." was towards the vip style? that was meant for those bondo widebodies.

I was being vague btw. like yourself if someone wants to take the discussion on a personal level with name calling I'll tell it like it is.

it's an x300? definitely fooled me without looking at the rest of the car. have a x305 XJ12 at home btw.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM

02' C240 Luxury Model
Haha, no worries Frank. I'm glad I can talk straight up with you and you don't get bent. I think things got a little confused, but again..not a big deal.

Yah, with my headlight conversion people really get confused. The only real way to tell is the interior. Outside you can't tell with the side markers and all shaved.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Haha, no worries Frank. I'm glad I can talk straight up with you and you don't get bent. I think things got a little confused, but again..not a big deal.

Yah, with my headlight conversion people really get confused. The only real way to tell is the interior. Outside you can't tell with the side markers and all shaved.
all good my apologies if I was being overtly general/vague on those categories.

any more pix of the Jag? with the side marker shaved does the front turn signal still work? the x305's my dad's btw. only did the front nose mesh and the x308 lower chrome insert for him.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

S500
are you stalking me

omg : hammer:
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
VIP!! ftmfw!!

OMFG I AM GANGSTA!!!

I AM RICH CHECK THIS OUT I AM BALL1NNN!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i'll buy your COUPE
for $17

Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 AM

W203
are you stalking me

Your pic doesn't show in the thread, yet I've seen the yellow sedan with flames before, its hideous.

Your car is boring, dunno who it made it into a magazine when it puts down less HP that BMWs/Audis that spend the equivalent, and hardly stands out from the soccer mommy mobiles at the mall.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM

C230k coupe 500sec convertible
Your car is boring, dunno who it made it into a magazine when it puts down less HP that BMWs/Audis that spend the equivalent, and hardly stands out from the soccer mommy mobiles at the mall.
OUCH-- you are stepping in it now -- and it is how not who
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 AM

fleet vehicle
Your pic doesn't show in the thread, yet I've seen the yellow sedan with flames before, its hideous.

Awww...,

Just when I thought everyone was going to play nice.....
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM

W203
Originally Posted by HeirKranz
OUCH-- you are stepping in it now
No, stepping in it would be saying not only is his car boring, its as much as waste as the rice he criticizes.

Having all that performance, engine, suspension, brakes, yet not tracking the car means its "rarely go, for show" so he can quote the highest HP number and biggest brakes yet rarely use them.

1. If he brings his car to a track, then great.
2. If he's another redlight racer screaming for attention, he's no better than the ricer.
3. If he rarely/never uses the performance, its a waste.

Any bets on which category he falls into?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
No, stepping in it would be saying not only is his car boring, its as much as waste as the rice he criticizes.

Having all that performance, engine, suspension, brakes, yet not tracking the car means its "rarely go, for show" so he can quote the highest HP number and biggest brakes yet rarely use them.

1. If he brings his car to a track, then great.
2. If he's another redlight racer screaming for attention, he's no better than the ricer.
3. If he rarely/never uses the performance, its a waste.

Any bets on which category he falls into?
just FYI I canyon run and tried autoX, but I rather not waste the tire in the parking lot. button willow or willow springs is 2hrs away. I love to drive that far just for track.

at your effort at trying to **** me off. I'm having a good laugh right now.

btw, taylor or his friend...nice try. how else would a noob that knows what went on between me and you in the BENZWorld 68pages w203 picture thread that nobody reads.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

lets see...power mods...$2750 total (ecu, pulley kit, headers, exhaust, 55 airbox). hmm...you're right. my friend can spent $2500 on Vishnu tune for his 335 and make similar power. In order for the E46 M3 to put down 353rwhp (pre headers) they would need a supercharger. VF or Dinan (which uses VF anyway) supercharger kit aren't cheap. they're between $4000-5000. In order for the B5 S4 to make 420 crank hp, you would need a tune, down pipes, better cooling, and maybe the RS4's k04 turbos because the k03 aren't that reliable (one of my friend cracked his). You're looking at somewhere around $4000-5000 as well.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-11-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
C230 Sport Coup + 2006 W164 ML350 + 99 Ford Escort (What the heck, it gets 38 mpg!)
What about those of us who believe in tasteful mods that enhance the appearance, but most importantly are functional? (For the most part, as I'm sure my Rentech style spoiler does little in that regard),
and provide increased performance which gets used on a daily basis?

Not all of us live in LA on flat streets ya know. Some of us actually live where the road have curves and mountains, there's lots of open empty roads with few cops (not all road but some), and the opportunity to stretch the car's limits happens daily.

My daily jaunts on Hwy 17 are greatly improved as far as comfort, handling and power, and yeh I get looks too.

And BTW it always amazes me how easily some of you can be baited.
You guys can blab on an on about who said what to who and who's right and who's wrong get all riled up....whatever.

One might say there are some Master Baiters on this board.

VIP's not for every one. there are 3 types of enthusiasts on this board (well actually four)

1. performance oriented with some show. i.e. brabus, amg, carlsson, lorinser etc. lowers the car to moderate height, brakes, etc. most of us probably don't have a heavy system
NO

NO

3. VIP for show only. i.e. car's slammed to the ground with stretched tires and something like the Fabulous kit or something like a widebody that doesn't do much except looks cool in shows.
NO
4. those that believes stock is best and one should go to hell if they modify the car.
NO

Last edited by C230 Sport Coup; 09-11-2008 at 06:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anybody Seen This Coupe?