C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Vote on whether to split the CL203 (C Sport Coupe) from the W203 C-Class Forum
Yes, we should create a separate C Sport Coupe forum
40.24%
No, we should keep them combined as they are now
50.30%
I don't really care either way
9.47%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

To split or not to split this forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by David N.
So far only 30 people have voted to split. If a split is of such importance to the people who email and PM you guys, then I sincerely hope they vote on this poll. Otherwise, I'll consider them to be nothing more than pains in the a$$ that have too much time on their hands.

Let this be the ultimate poll that decides this issue for good, so we can finally put this to rest and move on.
Actually, i've talked with a lot of the people in the past few days who have contacted me over the past month or so wanting a split, and most are now opposed to it.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Parti Québecois

Originally posted by David N.
Let this be the ultimate poll that decides this issue for good, so we can finally put this to rest and move on.
As a fellow Canadian, I'm sure you'll know about the René Levesque speech on the eve of the 1980 separation referendum:

Si je vous ai bien compris, vous m'avez dit "à la prochaine fois"

Or "if I have understood you well, you are telling me to just wait until the next time".

You see, it's never over. We're talking about the self-determination of a group of car owners here

Old 12-30-2002, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Re: Parti Québecois

Originally posted by Mike T.
As a fellow Canadian, I'm sure you'll know about the René Levesque speech on the eve of the 1980 separation referendum:

Si je vous ai bien compris, vous m'avez dit "à la prochaine fois"

Or "if I have understood you well, you are telling me to just wait until the next time".

You see, it's never over. We're talking about the self-determination of a group of car owners here

Vive Le Quebec!!!

You're right. This issue may even have a better chance of outliving that of Quebec Sovereignty!

Old 12-30-2002, 11:30 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by session
The reason for his ban was a general hostility towards all members. There may have not been an individual act that provoked the ban, but his attitude was, needless to say, less than friendly.

This forum needs to uphold a sense of community and civility, a context in which SoCal/MacPhisto obviously chose no part of.
SoCal and MacPhisto got banned for being bad apples? They seemed friendly to me
Old 12-30-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by MB-BOB
Welcome aboard "The Fly." Yours is a very interesting post. Do you just adopt other's opinions as your own, or have you developed a sense of clairvoyance in your 10-days as a member here? Hmmmm?

I'll answer your question with a question, though. Do you remember the movie, “Star Trek, Wrath of Khan,” in which Spock said, “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?” If so, then you understand the "sense of community" that exists here.

An individual member's need to disagree with other members is balanced by the reaction of that community at large. Hence, one's privilege to argue is respected, but it can also be outweighed by 30-40 other members who equally exercise their privileges to complain about a member's argumentative posts. To this extent, the "sense of community" is defined not by the staff at MBWorld, but by group concensus of the MBWorld membership... a very democratic process.

At the bottom right of every post on these forums, you will see a "Report this Post to a Moderator" button. At MBWorld, a member pressing this button sends an e-mail message to each and every moderator and Admin on this site. This process, along with the Private Message (PM) function, is open to any member who feels offended by any post. In short, if the MBWorld staff receives countless complaints about a member's posts from other members, rest assured that member will rise on the staff's radar screen. In contrast, if the membership doesn't complain about your posts, you are a well-accepted member of the community. Fortunately, the latter is almost universally the case.

We have had only 2-3 members (among 6,500) who have so annoyed large numbers of the membership that they demanded censure from the staff. But rest assured that such rare discipline originates, first and foremost, with the "sense of community" of the membership at large.
Listen to Bob young Fly padiwan. I was once influenced by the dark side but then I became Bob's apprentice and the force has been strong within me ever since.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by WyattEarp
Listen to Bob young Fly padiwan. I was once influenced by the dark side but then I became Bob's apprentice and the force has been strong within me ever since.
Oh, Wyatt... B-E-H-A-V-E !
Old 12-31-2002, 02:17 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I would like to see two separate forums. I would prefer to not have to sort through the many coupe postings to find those that apply to my C320 sedan. I believe that the interests of the coupe owners are frequently quite different than those of the sedan owners. Coupe owners just like the CLK group have their own specific interests. I realize that the sedan forum will be much smaller than the coupe but that is OK.
I'm sure at least one of the coupe owners will criticize me as they did somenoe else for appearing as a new person on the forum. Actually this is more like my 50th post under a different name. At present I have a dial up with my other name and had to come up with a new name for my cable high speed service.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MB-JIM
At present I have a dial up with my other name and had to come up with a new name for my cable high speed service.
Why? I use the same username wherever I go. I use a T1 at work, DSL at home, and I am posting this from my parents's house on dial up.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Thumbs up Hear Hear!!

Originally posted by MB-JIM
I would like to see two separate forums. I would prefer to not have to sort through the many coupe postings to find those that apply to my C320 sedan. I believe that the interests of the coupe owners are frequently quite different than those of the sedan owners. Coupe owners just like the CLK group have their own specific interests. I realize that the sedan forum will be much smaller than the coupe but that is OK.
I'm sure at least one of the coupe owners will criticize me as they did somenoe else for appearing as a new person on the forum. Actually this is more like my 50th post under a different name. At present I have a dial up with my other name and had to come up with a new name for my cable high speed service.
I wholeheartedly agree. I do not mean to tick off my friends here at MBWorld, as I spend most of my time in the W211, Detailing, Gen'l Discussion and Off-Topic forums with many coupe owners.

But owning both an 2003 E-500 AND an 2003 C-320, I often wish to read and discuss items about the C-320, but have to wade through many many many threads mostly relating to the C-220 coupe or the Kompressor prior to finding my relevant topics. I don't think of the coupe as a "C" class vehicle anymore than I think of the CLK as a "C" class vehicle. I'm sure most of us don't think of the SLK as an "S" class either, right? I know, I know, not quite apples to apples.

Wagons and sedans have far more in common with one another, in the same class, due to the same engine/mechanics. Their main difference is that of body metal, not of mechanics. The coupe is a different animal entirely, to my way of thinking, despite their being from the same very basic platform.

Sheer post volume alone should be demonstrative of the need for bifurcation. 68,000 posts in this forum!!!! Even Off-Topic is a distant second at 55,000 posts (despite Vraa, Pocholin, and JamE55's attempts to the contrary ). A very distant third is the 16,000 posts in the CLK forum, and fourth place goes to the 12,000 posts in the new E (W211) forum. The other forums are in the low-to-mid 4 digits and some have yet to break a 1000! It is obvious by that and the number of moderators assigned to this forum how badly the forum split is needed!

And as support for the split, I decided to take an admittedly unscientific, but a reasonably objective and representative statistical sampling. I went to this forums Pix sticky thread, and counted the coupes and sedans for the first three (3) pages. I may have missed some here and there, or double counted, or some I couldn't tell if it were a 2 or 4 door, but by and large, I got 18 sedans, and 19 coupes. Judging from that alone, I think if the C coupes got their own forum, the C sedans would get along just fine on their own and would not dwindle away into obsolescence any time soon.

Since you all asked, I vote for seperate forums.

IMHO

EDJ

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 12-31-2002 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:57 PM

The C-class has many models and all of them share a large amount of parts and therefore problems. Do not separate the coupe and sedan forums. There is much common ground here that should be available in one place without having to search many forums.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:36 PM

Looks like the "yes" crowd needs to start lobbying the "I don't care" crowd to get some more votes on their side.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by WyattEarp
Looks like the "yes" crowd needs to start lobbying the "I don't care" crowd to get some more votes on their side.
it still wouldn't be enuff votes...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
The poll looks a bit biased: I have a feeling that the majority of Coupe owners do not want the forum split, whereas most sedan/wagon owners do. Now, since the Coupe (CL203) owners outnumber the others (W203), you get the picture...

I believe that there should be two separate polls, within each group - CL203 and W203. Then we'll see.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
as i have voted: I don't really care either way.

even if the W203 forum is seperated into two. I'll still post on both and search for answer on both because coupe and sedan are all C-class. They share a lot of common problems and solutions.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by vadim
The poll looks a bit biased: I have a feeling that the majority of Coupe owners do not want the forum split, whereas most sedan/wagon owners do. Now, since the Coupe (CL203) owners outnumber the others (W203), you get the picture...
That was my thinking as well. I think that your idea on splitting up the poll makes sense, which is why it'll never happen.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If we have two seperate polls, how would that serve the W203 community as a whole? One minute everyone is against splitting the forums, the next, they want separate polls??? This poll is designed to serve the current w203 forum, and help decide whether it should be split based on the results of the poll and users comments. I don't see the need for having a poll for coupe owners and a poll for sedan owners. Especially when most of the coupe owners who first asked for the split now asking us to keep the forums together.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Mach430
If we have two seperate polls, how would that serve the W203 community as a whole? One minute everyone is against splitting the forums, the next, they want separate polls??? This poll is designed to serve the current w203 forum, and help decide whether it should be split based on the results of the poll and users comments. I don't see the need for having a poll for coupe owners and a poll for sedan owners. Especially when most of the coupe owners who first asked for the split now asking us to keep the forums together.
Very simple - if you conduct two polls, and in case if *either* group (coupe or sedan/wagon) overwhelmingly votes for the split - then go ahead and split! Otherwise the group that voted "for" would (rightfully) consider their voices ignored.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Having two polls is just simply not feasible, there is no way to make it so only coupe owners or only sedan owners could vote on their respective polls.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

But even if one group overwhelmingly voted for a split, it wouldn't necessary reflect the majority of the present w203 forum. Ultimately, it is the majority (with respect to how close the minority) is that should have the greatest imput. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Accord
Having two polls is just simply not feasible, there is no way to make it so only coupe owners or only sedan owners could vote on their respective polls.
Here:

[ ] Split (I own a C coupe)
[ ] Don't spilt (I own a C coupe)
[ ] Split (I own a C sedan/wagon)
[ ] Don't split (I own a C sedan/wagon)
[ ] I don't care
Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by tommy
That was my thinking as well. I think that your idea on splitting up the poll makes sense, which is why it'll never happen.
ROFLMAO!!!!!

But seriously, I personally do not think seperate polls makes sense. We need to address the 203 community as a whole. The problem with splitting the poll is that we don't have an equal amount of coupe and sedan owners.

Example:

Coupe owners = 10 - 9 vote for split, 1 stay togeather
Sedan owners = 100 - 40 vote for split, 60 vote to stay together

Vadim, based on your proposal, we should split the forum because one group (coupe in my example) overwhelmingly voted to split, and sedan barely voted to stay together.

But add the numbers up, and you have 49 voting for a split, and 61 to stay together. The majority still wants unity, and that is more important than a minority that wants to split.

Am I making any sense?
Old 01-03-2003, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An analogy

Let's say this poll is an election for a Congressional district. Let's say the Coupe owners are Democrats, and the Sedan/Wagon owners are Republicans.

Is the election biased because there are more Democrats in the district than Republicans? Of couse not. They are all part of the community. If you believe other wise, I suppose we should force people to move until there are equal amounts of Democrats and Republicans in all Congressional districts.

Should there be separate elections for Democrats and Republicans? Don't be stupid.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:00 PM

C320 Sport Wagon
C-Split

How about retaining the C203 forum as there is much of interest to all in the threads, but put up three subsets for Coupe, Sedan, Wagon for posts unique to those configurations. Since the population of the C-series is larger than any of the the model lines and generates the most discussion interest this seems logical.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I'm thinking that when the C230K sedan makes it's appearance that it's owners are going to be more "Coupe-like" in attitude (younger, interested in mods, etc.).

I think that some of the sedan owners who don't like this type of post will still be inundated with these threads. And coupe owners who don't like the sedan posts will still have to wade through a lot of these because the C230K sedan owners looking for mod-specific information will probably post primarily in the C-coupe forum as the motors will be the same.

Regards, BT
Old 01-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Re: An analogy

Originally posted by Lynn
Let's say this poll is an election for a Congressional district. Let's say the Coupe owners are Democrats, and the Sedan/Wagon owners are Republicans.

Is the election biased because there are more Democrats in the district than Republicans? Of couse not.
Let's not forget that the Democrats and Republicans both choose their best candidate, and then votes are cast in the elections between the two. We are already at that point here. You have been presented with two choices, not 20, there is no need for multiple polls. Forum members are more than welcome to post what car they have, and how they voted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To split or not to split this forum