C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

!!!HELP...HELP!!! ADVISE NEEDED PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
Exclamation !!!HELP...HELP!!! ADVISE NEEDED PLEASE

Yesterday night, My wife was driving close to home when she said that something was wrong with the tranny, it did not want to get neither Drive or Reverse, a few minutes later when I got there I tried it again & I was able to move it but there was a sound underneath the car like a whining sound, today I went to a mechanic driving the car & it was working fine until I got tho the place when it started the whining sound, the mechanic checked the car with the computer & he told me that it might be that the battery had really low voltage & that might cause problems on the computer & it might send a signal to the transission to unlock gears ( I Really dont know how to say it) so might be why it did not get drive or reverse
what would be the reason why that happen

Can this happen???
Any advise???
Please I'm very confused I really need you guys help

Thanks in advance & for your prompt response

Miguel
Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
Originally Posted by Andonixxx
Yesterday night, My wife was driving close to home when she said that something was wrong with the tranny, it did not want to get neither Drive or Reverse, a few minutes later when I got there I tried it again & I was able to move it but there was a sound underneath the car like a whining sound, today I went to a mechanic driving the car & it was working fine until I got tho the place when it started the whining sound, the mechanic checked the car with the computer & he told me that it might be that the battery had really low voltage & that might cause problems on the computer & it might send a signal to the transission to unlock gears ( I Really dont know how to say it) so might be why it did not get drive or reverse

Can this happen???
Any advise???

Miguel
Sir, May i know what model of your car please? got VIN number?
Can i confirm that your problem "wont drive and reverse" indicates mean your selector lever cannot move from "P" parking or even move also wont drive??
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM

SL450
Originally Posted by Jackwf
Sir, May i know what model of your car please? got VIN number?
Can i confirm that your problem "wont drive and reverse" indicates mean your selector lever cannot move from "P" parking or even move also wont drive??
its a c230 2005
vin # is WDBRF40J25F569568

I was able to change gear or I mean i was able to move the seletcor lever without a problem, but when I put the lever in D drive or reverse & I hit Throttle nothing happened Just accelerating the car but not moving, but today I was able to move it without any problem jackwf

Thank you for your prompt response
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
its a c230 2005
vin # is WDBRF40J25F569568

I was able to change gear or I mean i was able to move the seletcor lever without a problem, but when I put the lever in D drive or reverse & I hit Throttle nothing happened Just accelerating the car but not moving, but today I was able to move it without any problem jackwf

Thank you for your prompt response
wow~ refer to your problem, it could be the transmission problem, mostly is "Fluid" matter.. Did u ever service your transmission fluid? lack or deteriorate of fluid could lead this problem!! try to check your transmission fluid level and condition of fluid.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Wait, you've got a 2006. Aren't you still under factory warranty or have you driven over 50,000 already?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 PM

SL450
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Wait, you've got a 2006. Aren't you still under factory warranty or have you driven over 50,000 already?
its my wifes car
she's got a 2005 with 54k & mine is an 06 manual with 33k
Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
its my wifes car
she's got a 2005 with 54k & mine is an 06 manual with 33k
What engine?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 C230K SS

Can this happen???
Any advise???

Miguel
Yes, it could happen. At the same time and with that whining sound, it could well be something else. When was the last time you had your trans serviced? Seems to me like a stuck flow valve inside the trans or stuck solenoid.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Originally Posted by aecasasus
Yes, it could happen. At the same time and with that whining sound, it could well be something else. When was the last time you had your trans serviced? Seems to me like a stuck flow valve inside the trans or stuck solenoid.
Wouldn't a stuck solenoid throw a CEL? Being that the car is OBDII (sorta), it should detect any solenoid or other electrical problems within the transmission, especially a electronic Automatic. I know usually that if (this goes for any newer car with an auto) a solenoid that controls up shifts and downshifts fails, it will put the transmission into a safe mode which is usually like 3rd gear or something. As far as it not moving at all in Drive or Reverse, you got me? Again, it does sound like a solenoid. Is there a servo on these transmissions for drive or reverse? I know some trans. use them for overdrive. Sorry if I'm totally wrong here, most of my experience is with domestic vehicles.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 C230K SS
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
Wouldn't a stuck solenoid throw a CEL? Being that the car is OBDII (sorta), it should detect any solenoid or other electrical problems within the transmission, especially a electronic Automatic. I know usually that if (this goes for any newer car with an auto) a solenoid that controls up shifts and downshifts fails, it will put the transmission into a safe mode which is usually like 3rd gear or something. As far as it not moving at all in Drive or Reverse, you got me? Again, it does sound like a solenoid. Is there a servo on these transmissions for drive or reverse? I know some trans. use them for overdrive. Sorry if I'm totally wrong here, most of my experience is with domestic vehicles.
It could trigger the CEL but it might not. I haven't worked on MB trans before but knowing that most modern trans these days work alike (and i said ALIKE), it seems like a possibility. If the solenoid or servo is bypassing the fluid flow, the trans could slip or even not go into gear due to not having the needed pressure on to the valve body/conducts(even when the shifter is on gear).

Again, I would start the troubleshoting by serviceing the trans if it hasn't been done. I'm not sure if there might be a port to test pressures but then again, that might be a Pro's work.