C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Poor radio reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC 43, E53
Exclamation

Originally posted by BruNo
hhhmmm what does an antenna amplifier look like? do the rear glass have to b replaced? or is the amplifier a separate component from the rear window????????

i am not sure where it is located or what it looks like but i do know that you do not have to replace the rear window . I was told though that if that was not the problem it would be the rear window.

maybe some of the senior people can answer that for you but maybe you want to post to a more recent thread. Or post a new one. i posted one last night about my problem being repaired.....see the subject below.

poor radio reception and remote transmit weak....both corrected today

if you want or need the part number i think that is on my service invoice.

good luck
Old 02-24-2002, 09:42 PM

190 2.3 and C320
I had intermittant poor reception. For about 1/2 hour, I could not receive any radio station clearly; the reception sounded like an echo. Then, the problem went away, and has not returned since. Do any of you know what the problem is? Thanks for advice!
Old 02-25-2002, 11:04 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by greg230
what the hell is this radio stuff you guys are talking about???

i have this new fangled thing, called a cdchanger

personally i am convinced there are only 3 radio stations in philly:

1. the all nickleback/shakira/n'sync/pink station
2. a country western station
3. and news/sports station

XM/sirius is the only thing that can save radio

greg
You took the words right off my screen, greg! I'm too caught up with my CD-changer to have noticed.

I always thought Philly's got it going on with respect to R & B / Soul radio stations, every time I'm down in the area
Old 02-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Almost a Member!

My car (C230) goes back to the shop tomorrow for the 5 day of service related to this same problem. They have already replaced the glass once and I understand they have to take it out and put the same glass back in with the new part we've been waiting on. So, I've done 10 days without NPR or Howard Stern! They then have to re-tint the rear glass.

RF on the key has been out all this time too. I have to point the IR directly at the handle to open and lock.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by Steven N
I've done 10 days without NPR or Howard Stern
Wow! How many people out there listen to both NPR and Howard Sterns? Seems like different ends of the spectrum.

Just kidding. Hope your car pulls through okay this time.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow! How many people out there listen to both NPR and Howard Sterns? Seems like different ends of the spectrum.
Revstriker,

I think they call it "bi-polar" disorder
Old 02-25-2002, 05:59 PM

C32 AMG
I had the same problem. It only lasted for 20 minutes though. Left the car & came back, then the reception was fine. Go figure?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
My radio reception has been nothing short of wonderful. Although, There has been a few times when the radio/cd "mutes" about 1 second for every 5 seconds of music. Cut the car off, restart and its gone. Only happend 2 times in 8K
Old 02-26-2002, 02:11 PM

Lightbulb FINALLY FIXED!

We finally got our radio fixed. Okay, here is what happened. Our C240 had two problems:

1) Very poor radio reception in general.
2) Especially poor radio reception when the defroster was turned on.

Both of these problems were in the service bulletin, and we were able to get everything fixed by having the rear windshield and antenna replaced. They might have replaced other components as well, but it's in the service bulletin.

So the radio is okay now. Not spectacular, but okay.

We had a bit of problem w/ the Pleasonton, CA dealership at first. They told us nothing was wrong, and that the radio was performing to specs, until we pointed out the service bulletin to them.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe it is a MB plot to get everyone to buy the $1000 CD changers.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:12 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Re: Yes Yes !!

Originally posted by yvette
Was given a loaner on Saturday because my car was not ready. And the radio was getting static on almost every station. Then my car was delivered to my home on Sat night. I noticed right away the radio again was static. So I thought I would just see if their were any ajustments that needed to be made. As it sounds it is a real problem that should be unacceptable. We should all copy all the pages of this thread and bring them into the dealer. Well I will if this is not fixable. Is this in our manual...well I will read it soon. ....I did not get good reception from San Jose to San Bruno. and my pathfinder, my other two trucks get good reception. And we go to san francisco all the time.So no excuses....to MB. Any help?? Disappointed...I love my music...Yvette
all this talk over radio reception begs the question.... Is there really anything that good to listen to on radio??? Here on the east coast its nothing more then the same 20 jazz/rock/classical/hiphop/R&B pieces played ad nausuem.

Distrust the radio.... buy a cd burner, and the changer.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:55 PM

Mercedes Benz C240
Bad Radio Reception

I have had poor radio reception on my 2001 C240 since the car was new in May of last year. The dealer replaced the standard radio with exactly the same model. This made no difference. Then they replaced the rear window/antenna. This has improved the reception somewhat but my radio reception is still not as good as any of their E class loaner cars (all with rear window antennas) and I’ve had three of them! Well one was for Service A. I am taking the car in again next week and I will suggest they look at the amplifier and check all connections especially the ground. Are there any other thoughts on this? Has anyone added an after market external antenna? I am pretty sure that would do it but I really do not want a hole drilled in my car!

Kevin.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:34 AM

Just a quick note that I have not had one bit of radio reception problem in my C230.

CP
Old 03-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

I live in the San Fran Bay Area and my FM Reception is beautiful - it sounds like a CD, no static, almost all stations come in loud and clear. I have the standard sound system and FM Music sounds great - so much so that i listen to it a lot more then i ever did in previous cars HOWEVER, I can only pull in a couple AM stations - my previous Toyota got them all so i know its not the area i live in - any difference in solving the FM problem vs. the AM problem?