C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

reliable MBs. history?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by bagwell
I agree 100% Bob (everything was fine with my car until about 13000 miles).

but - I differ in your opinion of reliability.

If my a/c compressor has to be replaced 10 times even though my car still runs and drives fine, I would NOT consider the car reliable. (this is just an example)

how would you feel in this situation? (not considering the lemon law)
I consider the A/C functions of a car to be included in reliability stats. That's why I included it in my list of Reliability items. I'm sure you meant it as an example, but I'm not aware of anyone having their A/C replaced 10 times... or even one... A couple here have lost refrigerant, I recall, but that's it.

I don't want to misquote him, so I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe those with more MB experience than me (Buellwinkle, or was it SoCal during one of his mild periods) said that once you get the initial delivery bugs out of a MB, they'll run for 100K miles without need of anything other than regular maintenance. The last 9,000 miles on my car have passed without even a hint of a trip to the dealer.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I'm not crazy about the looks of the A6 (although it looks similar to the better looking A4, something isn't quite right about it). Besides, isn't it FWD? I know I will never buy a FWD car again! We drove the A4 quattro and it was smaller than the C240 we wound up buying.

Yes, I have given up on both lowering springs and the expensive M-H Dezent/Expression CL-look grille. I'm not looking to spend any more money on our C than we already have
Old 01-03-2003, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Jim Banville
I'm not crazy about the looks of the A6 (although it looks similar to the better looking A4, something isn't quite right about it). Besides, isn't it FWD? I know I will never buy a FWD car again! We drove the A4 quattro and it was smaller than the C240 we wound up buying.
You know what, you're correct. I thought it was RWD but I just looked it up. No wonder most models come equipped with quattro. Of interest, Audi doesn't really mention that they're FWD on their home page.

- BT
Old 01-03-2003, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by MB-BOB
I consider the A/C functions of a car to be included in reliability stats. That's why I included it in my list of Reliability items. I'm sure you meant it as an example, but I'm not aware of anyone having their A/C replaced 10 times... or even one... A couple here have lost refrigerant, I recall, but that's it.

I don't want to misquote him, so I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe those with more MB experience than me (Buellwinkle, or was it SoCal during one of his mild periods) said that once you get the initial delivery bugs out of a MB, they'll run for 100K miles without need of anything other than regular maintenance. The last 9,000 miles on my car have passed without even a hint of a trip to the dealer.

that's correct I was just using the compressor as an example...it HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Speaking of the Audi A6, anyone found pics of the '05 re-design?

thanks
Jim
Old 01-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Almost a Member!

C180K
i got my fixed car yesterday, no replace tranny though. they said that a gear failed in the transmission what they have replaced.
it seems to be working fine.

i have seen posts talking about MINOR issues. i do not have any problem with minor issues, since nowdays' cars are so complex that it is very hard to make them flawless BUT i do think that i should not receive a car with a tranny which is not able to shift to the first gear.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i do not have any problem with minor issues, since nowdays' cars are so complex that it is very hard to make them flawless BUT i do think that i should not receive a car with a tranny which is not able to shift to the first gear.
I agree, but transmissions, like all things, are subject to break at any time. Usually, if something is "defective", it will break early. This is why when I buy a piece of electronics I leave it on and use it as often as possible for the first couple days I bring it home. If it survives this "burn in" period, odds are it will continue to operate without fault. How many miles did you car have on it when you got it? It would be a good idea to ask your dealer to allow you to take the particular car you intend to buy, home for the weekend before you buy it. You could put about 50-100 miles on it and test all of the components and functions. We test drove the exact C240 we were buying before we signed the contract. A good salesman should DEMAND you test drive the exact car you are buying BEFORE you sit down to sign the papers. It would show that he is truly concerned that you are completely happy with the car and it is trouble free.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Jim, you seem to take every opportunity to try to make people who have had problems with their car feel like it is their fault. I am glad you have had a trouble free experience with your car, but many of the people here haven't. Take for example my situation. I ordered my car from the dealer in Birmingham because the dealers in Atlanta would not locate the car I wanted. I test drove it, brought it home, and within a couple of days noticed that the 1st to 2nd shift felt bad- slight grinding sometimes, other times you could feel the gears catch beween 1st and 2nd. I and seen are not the only ones with trans problems. DCXdynodog didn't even get home before his trans locked up and wouldn't go into 2nd. AndrewK seems to have the same problem as I do. Others have had bad differentials. These are not minor problems, and considering the relatively small number of owners that are members of this forum, it indicates a very high failure rate. They usually need at least a week to fix, and in my case it still isn't fixed. Until you have to take your car in 4 times, been without it for a total of a month, still not have it fixed, and be told that it is normal for it to grind when shifting you should lighten up a little. People have a right to be upset when they pay a lot of money for a car and have major mechanical problems. Mercedes problem is that instead of building trouble free cars, they try to make up for it with a good warranty. This will eventually catch up with them. None of my friends or family will consider a MB now, and even Consumers Reports which usually likes MB for safety and engineering reasons, doesn't recommend any of their models for reliability reasons. Once again, I am glad your car is trouble free because it shows that at least the possibility exist, but it is small consolation for those of us not so fortunate.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by speedfrk
DCXdynodog didn't even get home before his trans locked up and wouldn't go into 2nd.
Is this a manual also? Because if it is an auto, it can be the transmission control module instead of the actual trans. We had a customer who bought a C240 and it got stuck in a gear. He wanted a different car, so we did that. They replaced the transmission control module. Later, one of our salesmen bought this car because it was the only one with the equipment he wanted. And there have been no other problems with the trans in like 7000 miles.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim, you seem to take every opportunity to try to make people who have had problems with their car feel like it is their fault.
Did I say that guy broke his tranny? Did I say it was his fault? I merely suggested that people take the time to actually test drive the ACTUAL car they are buying. Wow! I didn't realize that was such a scathing accusation Do you realize there are some people that test drive an EXAMPLE of the car they want - they order one and later sign the papers without actually driving the actual car?!

Or do you mean people who's car breaks down due to an aftermarket part, such as a pulley, but who immediately assumes it is due to unreliability on MB's behalf?

considering the relatively small number of owners that are members of this forum, it indicates a very high failure rate.
Your transmission actually failed?

Last edited by Jim Banville; 01-05-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:02 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Matt230K
Is this a manual also? Because if it is an auto, it can be the transmission control module instead of the actual trans. We had a customer who bought a C240 and it got stuck in a gear. He wanted a different car, so we did that. They replaced the transmission control module. Later, one of our salesmen bought this car because it was the only one with the equipment he wanted. And there have been no other problems with the trans in like 7000 miles.
6 speed stick...
of course

My favorite was when the service manager tried to tell me it was a software problem at first :p
Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by DCXdynodog
6 speed stick...
of course

My favorite was when the service manager tried to tell me it was a software problem at first :p
It's the software in your brain. You haven't yet figured out how to pull the shifter from 1st down into 2nd. You better get that fixed. LOL!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:10 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Yes it is a manual. He posted about how he never made it out of the dealership.

"Your transmission actually failed?"
Depends on if you consider gears grinding on a brand new car a failure. I do. I think most other people would also. If you don't, maybe that is why your car is so "reliable" Maybe stuff that bothers other people doesn't bother you.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:13 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
It's the software in your brain. You haven't yet figured out how to pull the shifter from 1st down into 2nd. You better get that fixed. LOL!
ROFL...you know where I can get an upgrade?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by DCXdynodog
ROFL...you know where I can get an upgrade?
Kleemann will have one available in about two weeks!!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Did I say that guy broke his tranny? Did I say it was his fault? I merely suggested that people take the time to actually test drive the ACTUAL car they are buying. Wow! I didn't realize that was such a scathing accusation Do you realize there are some people that test drive an EXAMPLE of the car they want - they order one and later sign the papers without actually driving the actual car?!

Your transmission actually failed?
You must have shares in MB

Last edited by Apollo; 01-05-2003 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Almost a Member!

C180K
I agree, but transmissions, like all things, are subject to break at any time. Usually, if something is "defective", it will break early. This is why when I buy a piece of electronics I leave it on and use it as often as possible for the first couple days I bring it home. If it survives this "burn in" period, odds are it will continue to operate without fault. How many miles did you car have on it when you got it? It would be a good idea to ask your dealer to allow you to take the particular car you intend to buy, home for the weekend before you buy it. You could put about 50-100 miles on it and test all of the components and functions. We test drove the exact C240 we were buying before we signed the contract. A good salesman should DEMAND you test drive the exact car you are buying BEFORE you sit down to sign the papers. It would show that he is truly concerned that you are completely happy with the car and it is trouble free.
i did not have the chance to testdrive the car before i received it. (it was 20th of dec, very last working day), i got it at 2pm. the car received its papers 20 minutes before i was there to sign
Old 01-05-2003, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i did not have the chance to testdrive the car before i received it.
You signed a contract on a $30K car before checking it out to see that it works 100% to your satifaction? Then you complain about a problem that would have been found in a short test drive?

Depends on if you consider gears grinding on a brand new car a failure.
Anyone will tell you that gears aren't supposed to grind when you change gears. If the dealer refuses to fix it, get a lawyer and sue them. He could write them a letter at first, threatening to sue unless the trans is fixed or replaced.

You must have shares in MB
Hahahahah...haha..ha.....umm....what?

Last edited by Jim Banville; 01-05-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My second MB, a 1984 190 that I got as a lemon law replacement for my first one wouldn't shift in reverse (manual trans). I had to get out and push it out of a parking spot. They replaced the entire transmission in 1 day, no questions asked. I know Jim's car is a fluke but the one thing I always love about MB is they have great service and I've never been told the problem was me. If you have problems getting your car fixed, try another dealer. Word of mouth has a way of weeding out the less than honarable dealers in the long run.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
... I know Jim's car is a fluke but the one thing I always love about MB is they have great service and I've never been told the problem was me.
I'm pleased to announce that I drive "a fluke" also. There are lots of "fluke" (sic reliable) MBs on this forum.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
I'm pleased to announce that I drive "a fluke" also. There are lots of "fluke" (sic reliable) MBs on this forum.
Bump.

Fluke here also.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
PLEASE quote where I have ever said that MB wasn't average for reliability in general! I consider my MB reliable because I have never had anything put piddly nuisance issues that some people would never give a second thought to and continue to drive, and drive, and drive.... NEVER ONCE have I had a performance related issue. This car has NEVER let me down in providing reliable transportation.
Sorry, Jim. You're right - I didn't read your post fully. I'm starting off the new year on a nice note.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

C180K
You signed a contract on a $30K car before checking it out to see that it works 100% to your satifaction? Then you complain about a problem that would have been found in a short test drive?
sure. MB does not pay me any money doing testdrives on new cars. i do not think this is my job or i would be a QA manager...
i signed for a car after an example. if it is not what it is told, they should replace it. even a stutterer lawyer is able to defend my position at the court. :P