C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cassette Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by session
MB does not force anyone to pay extra for anything. You are free to buy the car at its base price. If you don't like the standard features, go buy a different car. That's what competition exists for, right?
OK, that's entirely true, and I still have tapes that I listen to (still have vinyl recorded on tapes - need cd recorder!), so the system works perfectly for me. So, I will now become a hypocrate - it is pretty amazing that a $25k car comes with a tape player standard. Even VW (the most obvious other offender) has switched to cd players. It does seem to give the competition a leg up on MB.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Agreed, and I am one of those who has no clue why MB decided to not include an in-dash cd player as standard or even optional equipment. However, I knew that before I bought the car. MB didn't force me to buy the cd changer and I didn't buy it.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320 Sport Wagon
I complained about the unavailability of the CD player (and the unreasonable cost of the glove-box changer) and got this reply from MBUSA: "The market research that Mercedes-Benz has done indicates a strong desire by our customers to have a cassette player in their vehicle. However, the Comand Navigation system, which is optional, does include an in-dash single disc player."

I responded that MB was unique amongst quality cars in not having an in-dash CD player and that meant that MB was still in the last century, technologically. I explained that the availability of the glovebox changer and Comand (or the unavailability of the Audio 10CD) was not an adequate alternative.

Bought my changer for $100 and installed it myself. Moreover, I'll pull it and trash it before I return my car at the end of lease.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:14 AM

2002 c230 orion blue
Mercedes owners have less buyers remorse regarding options than most. A friend of mine was disgusted when he leased a 2002 loaded Accord only to find out weeks later that it had no "optional" traction control.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:14 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Originally posted by Homercedes
Mercedes owners have less buyers remorse regarding options than most. A friend of mine was disgusted when he leased a 2002 loaded Accord only to find out weeks later that it had no "optional" traction control.
I have no buyer's remorse; I raised this issue with MBUSA prior to purchase and went ahead with it as seemed best for me. Besides, why would someone lease (or buy) an unknown package?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:41 PM

2002 C240
I think you guys misunderstand my point, MB doesn't force you to buy their CD changers if:

1) you are satisfied with the lower sound quality/inconvience of a tape
2) you don't mind to sacrifice the steering control by getting an aftermarket headunit
3) you don't mind to sacrifice the sound quality by getting a RF connected CD changer/player

My point is, if you want to enjoy the great sound of a CD, and you still want all the original audio functions, then you have no choice but forced to buy the original MB brand CD changer. (I am talking about average mb owners, there are large portion of mb owners who don't come to online forums and do not know the existance of Audio 10)

it's just my opinion

Last edited by CarlssonPower; 01-07-2003 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:48 AM

2002 C240
Originally posted by session
You mentioned the Audio 10 which nullifies every single point in your post. Nice one.
Not everyone knows about Audio 10. My aunts and uncles don't come to online forums and they would never know there is such thing as Audio 10 that they could put on their benz. They all had to buy the stock CD changer.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by CarlssonPower
Not everyone knows about Audio 10. My aunts and uncles don't come to online forums and they would never know there is such thing as Audio 10 that they could put on their benz. They all had to buy the stock CD changer.
That is true, I would have not found out also about the Audio 10 if not for the forum. It is important to understand that when you do buy a vehicle you need to do your homework and find out about the vehicle you are buying.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Don't you think that having to go to German Ebay to get a stock in-dash cd player on a $30k car is a little fuked?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by tommy
Don't you think that having to go to German Ebay to get a stock in-dash cd player on a $30k car is a little fuked?
No, I feel that Mercedes offered a CD package for the glove box so they somewhat made up for the Audio 10 CD. I however was disappointed to find out about the cassette radio not being a Becker unit. I did my homework on my Benz and made changes that kept the warranty and satisfied me.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Are you either not understanding the point, or just arguing for argument's sake?

I don't see how anyone can say that a cassette player on anything over $10k is not nickel and diming the customer. The point is not that they make an option accessible for us, the point is that it should already be standard.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:17 AM

Well, I am not disputing you however we all have our pet peaves about any automobille we buy. I have to be honest, I really enjoy my Benz and I accepted it the way it was. I do not feel we have any right to complain about an automobile because we have the choice to buy. I do not understand some people on this forum acting like they do. We create our own problems in life and life is to short for that..

David
Old 01-07-2003, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lockbuster
No, I feel that Mercedes offered a CD package for the glove box so they somewhat made up for the Audio 10 CD. I however was disappointed to find out about the cassette radio not being a Becker unit. I did my homework on my Benz and made changes that kept the warranty and satisfied me.
I disagree that charging $1200 for a $200 obsolete Apline changer makes up for the lack of a standard in-dash cd player, even a little. It is an insult. I would find nothing wrong with the headunit being an Alpine, if it wasn't the cheapest POS Mercedes could scrounge up.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:51 PM

C230 K
Originally posted by Lockbuster
Well, I am not disputing you however we all have our pet peaves about any automobille we buy. I have to be honest, I really enjoy my Benz and I accepted it the way it was. I do not feel we have any right to complain about an automobile because we have the choice to buy. I do not understand some people on this forum acting like they do. We create our own problems in life and life is to short for that..

David

sure we all have a choice. whoop de dooo. tommy is dead on on this one. you can buy a $10K kia with a standard CD player. no, it's not a benz, but come on. damn near every car sold in the US these days has a standard cd player. unless you DELIBERATELY order a car w/out it. it does seem that m/b is being an *** on this. their prices for such a basic option are equal to what many others charge for premium systems. the premium system in my 2000 eclipse cost less and sounded better.

the part that bugs me though, is not that it is not a standard feature. what is rediculous is the forced incompatibility with aftermarket equipment.

my car has the stock h/u. $995 for a 6 disk changer??? please.
but my "choice" was this or no cd's in the car. riiight. some choice.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Tape?

Until somone comes out with a relatively cheap analog to digital converter for my PC I will be playing tapes as well as CDs. Everyone puffing about "CD only" only shows your limited knowledge of how music is offered. If you only buy music that is sold on CDs or available via download...read that to mean 'mainstream'... then you are limiting yourself...but you're cool.