C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Easy Entry/Exit *Hidden?* Feature...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
MB-BOB, I have a question for you about the entry function setting. If I set the entry function to use " key dependent", then what happen if I reset the sit position but did not save this position in memory, and I drive for a while then turn off and park the car. And then get back to the car and start the car again; now, does the sitting position will return to the memory setting or the sit will not do anything at all. By the way, assume using the same key.

I'm asking that, because quit often when my brother use my car and reset the sit position but he did not save it to any memory. So,when I get the car back and started the car, the sit doesn't return to my own memory setting. Just want to know is it normal?Me and my brother sharing the same key. My father has the second key.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Even though it's set to key dependent, the seat will return to the LAST used position, not the position stored on the key. So, when your brother uses the car and sets the seat for him, the seat will go to HIS position, not yours. This part is fact.

This part is conjecture... I think "key dependent" really means that the seat/steering movement process is enabled only if the car is set for key dependent... Don't know this for sure. Understanding the mysteries of the memory seating continue to intrigue me.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-17-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Even though it's set to key dependent, the seat will return to the LAST used position, not the position stored on the key. So, when your brother uses the car and sets the seat for him, the seat will go to HIS position, not yours. This part is fact.

This part is conjecture... I think "key dependent" really means that the seat/steering movement process is enabled only if the car is set for key dependent... Don't know this for sure. Understanding the mysteries of the memory seating continue to intrigue me.
UPDATE. After some testing, I think I can confirm that "key dependent" only means that systems will respond to the key, or not. If you select Key NOT dependent, inserting the key will not activate any seat, wheel, mirror functions. In fact, on my car, the outside mirrors run home to momma (default position) when key is NOT dependent.

Stated another way, "Key Dependent" is just a switch. With it enabled, the system is allowed to query the key for instructions stored on the key. When not enabled, the system does nothing, and in some cases restores default instructions. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-17-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:58 PM

2002 C240
I'm kinda confused here. What is the "steering/seat.." setting thing you guys are talking about? And how do you do it? I don't see it on my menu...
Old 01-17-2003, 01:12 PM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
MB-BOB,

Thanks for your detailed info. Now I understand what the "key dependent" function means.

Thanks again for the great help.
Have a nice weekend !!!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by CarlssonPower
I'm kinda confused here. What is the "steering/seat.." setting thing you guys are talking about? And how do you do it? I don't see it on my menu...
Unless you have power seats, you don't have it.