C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

help! engine popping =( Videos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
One friends car, would simply not start... never got to hear it or see it, so I dont really remember the issue clearly... but I recall something similar to this. The other issue was on this board... the owner had a 06 C350 sport tuned, and lost control of his fan...

both owners had there ecu's replaced, one was done under warranty... and the other was paid for by SI
wow this sucks big time i also had my ECU tuned by SI a while back my car is at TVT getting some mods done. TVT told me that my ECU is Reading out DATA as a STOCK ECU... which got me thinking that my ecu was never tuned so am guessing i got ROB from SI. i never gotten a chance to run my car over the Limit to even see if the limiter was removed.

SI Sucks end of story!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
One friends car, would simply not start... never got to hear it or see it, so I dont really remember the issue clearly... but I recall something similar to this. The other issue was on this board... the owner had a 06 C350 sport tuned, and lost control of his fan...

both owners had there ecu's replaced, one was done under warranty... and the other was paid for by SI
wow. thats terrifying :x Glad someone posted about this...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 c320
I've heard it before... Usually on an old carborated car that isnt adjusted correctly where it basically has enough gas to keep the pistons firing, but the second there is a load put on the car, it stalls.

my first inkling is bad ecu... I know of two other cars who have had fried ECUs after SI tunes. And not right away... both took time before they went bad.

If it was a bad head gasket the exhuast would smell VERY sweet and would be billowing white smoke or doing small little puffs running like that after some time... check the coolant resevoir, if there is oil in there... bad head gasket. Also a head gasket would not come up like that all of a sudden... the only time they appear so quickly is if you have a cataclysmic size failure under load... say racing a car and you push your car too hard and BOOM, smoke comes out of the engine bay and instantly your car runs like trash, and you provide smoke screan for everyone behinds you... I know Ive experienced it... the other is a slow developing leak in the gasket... but that means the car would get worse over time. wouldnt appear just like this.

But since it was driving fine a little bit earlier in the day, I would look at getting the ECU replaced. Unless there is physical damage to the gas tank area, I doubt someone poured anything in there. In the case it was bad gas? The dealer would be able to plug in and scan the car still... if they are reporting that there is no connectivity to the car, it points at one item alone... and that is the brain of the system.
thanks! i would take a look at that.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by johnnysbadd
had a 400e did something like this. would not rev pass 2000 rpm and went into limp mode. turn out it was a clog cat so i got a hi flow cat and problem was fix.
hmm sound interesting, did you car make popping noise?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
I was also thinking this. Just enough fuel to keep it running, kinda just sputtering. I also noticed in your one video that you have your MAF off. It almost sounds as if it's backfiring out of the intake? I hear some kind of popping coming out of there. I believe you may have a mis-fire issue, or someone else mentioned, a timing issue.
yea there was popping noise from the MAF..so im guessing its backfiring ..Will the pulley kit affect this?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
wow this sucks big time i also had my ECU tuned by SI a while back my car is at TVT getting some mods done. TVT told me that my ECU is Reading out DATA as a STOCK ECU... which got me thinking that my ecu was never tuned so am guessing i got ROB from SI. i never gotten a chance to run my car over the Limit to even see if the limiter was removed.

SI Sucks end of story!
YIKES! sucks..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by kcheng86
yea there was popping noise from the MAF..so im guessing its backfiring ..Will the pulley kit affect this?
what you are hearing is the sound of the engine running... a back fire is an explosion of un burnt gas sitting in the exhuast pipe... Also on my supra I had a 3" turbo back exhuast on a car that ran PIG RICH... well one day I was driving hard and let up on the gas well I think there must have been a damn near pool of gas in the muffler because the explosion was so big IN the chamber that it warped my muffler... lol

When you run with out an airbox you always make the engine louder, factory airboxes act as resonators to muffle the noise. hence why when you do intakes on cars they are always much louder... your car doesnt really sound like its backfiring...

also what the pulley kit does, is reduces the power your car gives to the accessories... such as alternator, AC compressor, etc etc... all of these things need hp to make them turn. So as the engine cycles through, it is pushing a pulley that drives a serpentine belt... bu changing the diameter of the other pulleys that are driven by it, you can increase the power the car actually uses... pulleys would affect the amount of electrical charge thebattery has, or how well your AC works...

Last edited by 55fanatic; 11-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
My first guess is bad ecu. SI = Bad ECU. Check your ECU connections.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by pshek
My first guess is bad ecu. SI = Bad ECU. Check your ECU connections.
i hope its the ecu, I sent it in today to SI, hopefully they find out the problem..
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM

03 c320
what you are hearing is the sound of the engine running... a back fire is an explosion of un burnt gas sitting in the exhuast pipe... Also on my supra I had a 3" turbo back exhuast on a car that ran PIG RICH... well one day I was driving hard and let up on the gas well I think there must have been a damn near pool of gas in the muffler because the explosion was so big IN the chamber that it warped my muffler... lol

When you run with out an airbox you always make the engine louder, factory airboxes act as resonators to muffle the noise. hence why when you do intakes on cars they are always much louder... your car doesnt really sound like its backfiring...

also what the pulley kit does, is reduces the power your car gives to the accessories... such as alternator, AC compressor, etc etc... all of these things need hp to make them turn. So as the engine cycles through, it is pushing a pulley that drives a serpentine belt... bu changing the diameter of the other pulleys that are driven by it, you can increase the power the car actually uses... pulleys would affect the amount of electrical charge thebattery has, or how well your AC works...
i see, but I do hear some popping noise, dont know if you notice it in the video..Thanks for the info
Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by nlpamg
damn Keven, that sounds really bad! I hope this gets fixed for you. Good luck.
thanks phil, hope it gets fix before sat
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Keven, any updates?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
damn.... i'm sorry bout the horrible stores of SI anyways i hope everything will be back to normal
Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Keven, any updates?

not yet, SI still has my ecu..
Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
damn.... i'm sorry bout the horrible stores of SI anyways i hope everything will be back to normal
thanks bro
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM

I just noticed you said you have almost no brakes - that says vacuum leak to me. Have you check to make sure no hoses have popped off of the intake?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by zeet
I just noticed you said you have almost no brakes - that says vacuum leak to me. Have you check to make sure no hoses have popped off of the intake?
didn't read anything about brakes. Brakes should be hydraulic not vacuum.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by e1000
didn't read anything about brakes. Brakes should be hydraulic not vacuum.
Modern power brakes use vacuum to assist. Without it to someone who has never driven a car with manual brakes, it feels like you have no brakes. So yes, he may have a vacuum leak, but the other option is that the engine simply isn't creating enough vacuum for the power brakes due to whatever problem is causing his issues.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
kev,

just saw the video. I don't think it's the ecu. a bad tune can cause the car to sound like that as per other already said, BUT it should not have anything to do with Brakes.

this sounds heck of a lot like it when my TCU went bad and throttle position sensor went bad. TCU would trigger ESP and put the car into limp mode and every time you shift into gears you would get a major jerk from it. The throttle position sensor on the pedal would cause the rpm to go haywire.

IMO it's one of them sensors...but it's always a pain in the *** to figure out which.

Last edited by FrankW; 11-19-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 e350
Well, not sure if this will help you much, but I will share anyways.
About 5years ago I went out to start my 325. I turned the key and as it was starting up, I let off the key too soon, by accident. The car didn't start all the way and there was a small pop as it died out. I then tried starting it up again and it sounded just like yours.
Had it towed to a shop and they found that a hose that is under the intake manifold had popped off.
They pushed it back in and I never had the problem again.
So if I was you I would look all around for a leak somplace after the MAF.
Thats what the problem has gotta be man.

My 2 cents
When are they going to give us electric cars? All this BS we deal with would go away. There would be no blown head gaskets, oil changes, air leaks.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by sghokie
Well, not sure if this will help you much, but I will share anyways.
About 5years ago I went out to start my 325. I turned the key and as it was starting up, I let off the key too soon, by accident. The car didn't start all the way and there was a small pop as it died out. I then tried starting it up again and it sounded just like yours.
Had it towed to a shop and they found that a hose that is under the intake manifold had popped off.
They pushed it back in and I never had the problem again.
So if I was you I would look all around for a leak somplace after the MAF.
Thats what the problem has gotta be man.

My 2 cents
When are they going to give us electric cars? All this BS we deal with would go away. There would be no blown head gaskets, oil changes, air leaks.
this definitely makes the most sense in this thread
Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 AM

03 c320
Originally Posted by FrankW
this definitely makes the most sense in this thread
LOL yea, ill check it out..thanks for the infoo
Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
any developments??????
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM

03 c320
Originally Posted by e1000
any developments??????
well I just recieved my ecu back from si.. They turn it back to stock. The engine is Still the same. They told me to take it to another dealer and see what the say . So I just drop the car off another dealer n see what's up..hope the warranty will cover it
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by kcheng86
well I just recieved my ecu back from si.. They turn it back to stock. The engine is Still the same. They told me to take it to another dealer and see what the say . So I just drop the car off another dealer n see what's up..hope the warranty will cover it
told ya'll it wasn't the ecu.

aiming at vacuum leak now

did you take it to rusnak last time? take it to penske and find peter !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help! engine popping =( Videos