C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Super charger is whining way too loud !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super charger is whining way too loud !!!

The C-Coupe started to behave strangely last few days. It whines and hisses loudly when I start driving in the morning – even after the warm up ( I always give it a full minute regardless of the outside temperature.). The noise becomes annoying at 35 mph and gets ever louder as the speed is increased. Sounds like the jet engine at the take off. It won’t quit until the engine is in operating temp range (about a mile at low speed). Is this from the super charger??? And why is so active at such a low speed??? It’s getting cold here in Northern Virginia last couple weeks. Any correlation? No error code thrown BTW.

Commentary???
Old 01-12-2003, 02:02 AM

dont worry, just drive MINE IS LOUD IN THE MORNING TO

Last edited by levelr123g; 01-12-2003 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Not sure how loud yours is, but I would take it to the dealer - if you are certain that it has become significantly louder than before.

Mine is louder than stock because of the ASP pulley. I like it better this way, actually.

Last edited by vadim; 01-13-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Take it to the dealer. Mine is louder when cold, especially with the pulley. But it quiets down pretty quickly, way before it gets to operating temperature. And it also seems to get quieter as you speed up. It is the loudest at low rpm's when it is very cold. But once the revs get up a bit, it quiets down because it warms up pretty quickly.

BTW, I was checking out my pulley the other day because of the recent concern over them. It looked fine, but it sounds like rocks rolling around in the area of the supercharger. I compared it to another car and it sounded similar, but mine seemed louder. Anyone else notice this? I think it's the normal sound, but it just sounded kinda loud and made me notice it.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by Matt230K

BTW, I was checking out my pulley the other day because of the recent concern over them. It looked fine, but it sounds like rocks rolling around in the area of the supercharger. I compared it to another car and it sounded similar, but mine seemed louder. Anyone else notice this? I think it's the normal sound, but it just sounded kinda loud and made me notice it.
Matt-

The sound you are hearing is comming from the gearbox in the supercharger. As you stated, it's apparent in all C230K's, but yours is louder. It's louder because your spinning the supercharger faster. This is nothing to worry about, as it's inherent to all superchargers that have gear driven rotors and some are louder than others. You won't notice it on a C32 because the kompressor clutch is disengaged at idle, but any supercharger that is spinning constantly, you will hear that noise. Don't worry!!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E63s-summer/GLE63s-winter
Thank god for the search button.
the c230 is my wifes car so i don't hear it run daily, but tonight i was near the motor while it was running and thought the S/C was louder. the same "rocks rolling around" sound coming from where the airbox enters the S/C. It seemed louder than when I installed the ASP pulley.

Now my question is when is loud enough to have MB listen to it? Does the noise getting louder mean the bearings are wearing out? Is S/C failure on the way?

Any comments would be appreciated.
thanks
byron
02 C230k
04 STI
Old 06-28-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by byroll01

Now my question is when is loud enough to have MB listen to it? Does the noise getting louder mean the bearings are wearing out? Is S/C failure on the way?

Any comments would be appreciated.
thanks
byron
02 C230k
04 STI
Its GOING to make MORE noise when you put a pulley on. If it fails, so what. Take the pulley off, put it back to stock and go see the dealer. Worst case scenario it fails out of warranty...just get it rebuilt...its not the end of the world. The motor doesn't get destroyed once the supercharger pukes. Frankly, I don't think anything is wrong with it, supercharged motors are so rare people get freaked out by the unusual sounds they make.