C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"Service needed" reset procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
"Service needed" reset procedure

There have been a number of random posts about this in various threads over the years (I think I've read them all), but none of the supposed procedures has worked for my car. Is there any way to get rid of the reminder message without using MB's computer? Does anyone know if there are differences for different model years?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Turn the key to on.
Press the buttons until the message appears. Push and hold the instrument cluster illumination button until you get a message to push the button to reset the service counter. Release and tap, you're good to go for 1 yr/13000 miles.

Wax on, wax off....it has been 25 years since Pat Morita (rip 2005) was filmed saying that in a single take. Word is that Wil Smith is going to remake "Karate Kid" for Sony in 2009 with his 10 year old scion Jaden in the title role.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM

'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by Moviela
Turn the key to on.
Press the buttons until the message appears. Push and hold the instrument cluster illumination button until you get a message to push the button to reset the service counter. Release and tap, you're good to go for 1 yr/13000 miles.

Wax on, wax off....it has been 25 years since Pat Morita (rip 2005) was filmed saying that in a single take. Word is that Wil Smith is going to remake "Karate Kid" for Sony in 2009 with his 10 year old scion Jaden in the title role.
Yeah, tried that. Not working for me. The button works, because I reset the trip mile counter on the odometer screen. I really wish I could get this figured out. I was thinking that it might have been changed post-facelift, but I see you've got an '05, too.

I'm not sure how I feel about this alleged "Karate Kid" remake. I know Hollywood has unofficially, but completely, run out of new ideas, but it's not very often they do a good job with remaking a classic. It just seems like Will Smith has so much money and influence now that he is just doing things that he thinks his son would like. Kind of like most average parents buying their kid that one cool toy for their birthday. Since that kid probably has every toy he's ever wanted, now Will has to start buying movies and creating roles that he wants to play for him.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM

W203
Originally Posted by Moviela
instrument cluster illumination button
What button is that?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by amanonfire
What button is that?
Tripmeter reset button!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by Benzben
Yeah, tried that. Not working for me. The button works, because I reset the trip mile counter on the odometer screen. I really wish I could get this figured out. I was thinking that it might have been changed post-facelift, but I see you've got an '05, too.

I'm not sure how I feel about this alleged "Karate Kid" remake. I know Hollywood has unofficially, but completely, run out of new ideas, but it's not very often they do a good job with remaking a classic. It just seems like Will Smith has so much money and influence now that he is just doing things that he thinks his son would like. Kind of like most average parents buying their kid that one cool toy for their birthday. Since that kid probably has every toy he's ever wanted, now Will has to start buying movies and creating roles that he wants to play for him.
The service reminder has two different presentations. The first presentation is as a NAG screen when you start the car. You can hold the reset button all day, but the computer will pay you no mind. To get to the second presentation you need to use the steering wheel buttons to navigate to it behind the odometer screen. When you see it, now press and hold. About 10 seconds will go by, and then it will show a "you sure screen?"

KK is not alleged anymore, it is on for lensing next year. Wil Smith can certainly cast his son if the boy is capable of turning in a performance. Wil Smith makes movies for the same reason I do. To make money! Now if I had Wil Smith's money, and he had a feather in his shorts, we'd both be tickled to death.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230SS & 2007 GL450
I have found the reset button to be a bit fussy. Make sure that you hold it all the way in until it resets. Sometimes it takes a few attempts, but I've always been able to reset it. Patience.