C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

***C230K Holiday Special***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
no offense... but you're misinterpreting what i'm saying and are being too quick to correct... my comparison was between the two pullies shown.

for the MOI:

i was comparing having holes versus not having holes... because thats the difference between these two pullies in just geometric design (besides size).

your response was as if i was comparing putting the bulk of the weight towards the center versus towards the outer edge. thats not the difference between these two pullies. you shouldn't be so quick to correct... because you're reading what i'm saying wrong.

and about the weight:

i was asking if it were a different material because i didn't see how it could be lighter with the shape and size.

i didnt say anything wrong. you need to read more carefully my friend...
No offense taken on this end, I hope that none was taken on that end. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers, I just didnt (and still dont) agree with the argument that the larger pulley pictured in your original post has a higher MOI by its geometric design because of a lack of holes.

The aftermarket pulley was stated, prior to the post that I countered in the first place, to be lighter than the stock unit. The diameter is larger, which hurts MOI in a general sense, but let's just put that aside since it's not what we are discussing here.

So for simplicity, we have two pulleys, equal in mass and diameter. We add holes to one. When you put those holes (which in this case are quite close to the axis of rotation) into the first pulley, remembering we have to preserve the equal mass criteria, where is that mass going to go? (The holes are already in the stock pulley, and its still heavier than the aftermarket, so the mass removed by the holes has to be put somewhere in our comparison here and not just subtracted from the equation.)

And that is why I mentioned moving the mass towards the outter edge. You cant discouple the two concepts if you must preserve the mass. It all hinges on the fact that the aftermarket is still lighter overall than the stocker, holes or no holes.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
No offense taken on this end, I hope that none was taken on that end. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers, I just didnt (and still dont) agree with the argument that the larger pulley pictured in your original post has a higher MOI by its geometric design because of a lack of holes.
this is the last i'm talking about this issue...

i asked what the material of the pullies were because of what you said above, so we are in agreement. and there are two different types of inerita, mass and area. no offense, but i do have a couple degrees in mechanics and teach physics for kaplan, so i'm not pulling this out of no where...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
...nevermind...
Im not going to get into a pissing match, throwing out qualifications. If I stick around here long enough I'm sure you'll find them out anyway, just not like this.

FWIW, I have nothing against you and I never intended make you feel the need to explain your education. Take it easy man.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
I have sent the stock pulley off to have a few larger ones fabbed up. Will take some time to get them back.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
...If you have any need for a test pig in So Cal, I'll do it.
Any progress you can share regarding the tune?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

¿Bueno?

A neighbor is looking to sell her clean Coupe.

It’d likely be a relatively economical machine for getting Johnny to and fro his forthcoming summertime IT internship at USC. Be darned if I’ll chauffeur him about in its OE configuration. The C32 is spoken for and the GMC is lucky to get 14 MPG with a tailwind. He and I can suitably upgrade it in our garage to get him around before earning his driver’s license during his junior year at Mira Costa HS.

Anyone that relate his experience with LET’s pulley and tune?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
wow.. not a bad price for 55whp... nice work guys
Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by splinter
¿Bueno?

A neighbor is looking to sell her clean Coupe.

It’d likely be a relatively economical machine for getting Johnny to and fro his forthcoming summertime IT internship at USC. Be darned if I’ll chauffeur him about in its OE configuration. The C32 is spoken for and the GMC is lucky to get 14 MPG with a tailwind. He and I can suitably upgrade it in our garage to get him around before earning his driver’s license during his junior year at Mira Costa HS.

Anyone that relate his experience with LET’s pulley and tune?
The Coupe is an EXCELLENT choice for a first car. Is it a 2002?

Ed
Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
The Coupe is an EXCELLENT choice for a first car. Is it a 2002?

Ed
Yes, it’s an ’02 with less than 50k miles.

Haven’t you surpassed ~180k on its original longblock?

Best I can figure, the M111 > M271. Modifiable, too.

-John