C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

P0100 code and rough running now no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
The problem is that these are universal codes as per OBDII requirements. Sometimes they don't directly translate to MB codes. The closest I could get to a comparison is basicly a fault in the LINbus/serial to the Alternator but I wouldn't be sure unless the car was rescaned with STAR, it could be a communication fault with ESP too, lots of communication faults start appearing when a engine won't start. The low voltage during continous cranking starts shutting down non-essential control units.

The fault code for the cam sensor is a universal code so that's a certainty.
+1 My list shows P0600 CAN Serial Communication Link Malfunction to ESP as the actual Benz code but my list is old I would not worry about this code for the reasons you give. I hope a new cam position sensor takes us forward - I have no better ideas without a STAR.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Any results with the cam sensor?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Mercury Cougar V6, 03 c230 Kompressor Coupe
Well, I received the package today and they sent me the exhaust cam sensor instead of the intake one so that won't work. I did order a crank position sensor with the cam sensor, so I guess I will try that first. I have spoken to a few techs and they are saying that the car will start without the intake cam sensor plugged in at all. He said this has no bearing on the car starting at all. I suspect the crankshaft sensor if what he is telling me is correct. Does this sound right or is he wrong? I will have to change the crank sensor after work in the dark as I have no garage at my house and its also freezing here too lol. Should I just purchase the intake camshaft sensor if the crankshaft sensor doesn't work? The sensor is alot more money than the exhaust one I have but it could be what it needs. I will post results when I get the work done later. Thanks again for the concern, I appreciate it.

Last edited by one fast gto; 01-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Ok, this car is really frustrating to work on. I can't seem to figure out a way to get the cps out of the car. I see no way to get to it from the top and I put the car on ramps somehow and it is still hard to get to. Does anyone have any tips and exactly what size is it? I believe it is an e8 inverted torx but there is a big wire in the way blocking me from seeing it too well. It was dark and raining and I still attempted this but didn't get too far. I did manage to get the cps wire connector off though lol. Thanks again
Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It needs to be replaced from underneitt. When under the vehicle you will see a A/C line than turns around on itself held to a bracket by 2 bolts. Undo the 2 bolts and more the A/C line away from the engine, this will give you enough room to change the sensor. It's a E8 (1/4" drive) socket you need.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Ok, I will try that as soon as it stops raining here in ny and let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again
Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I think you are doing the right thing getting the CPS out of the equation. CPSs can cause all sorts of crap for obvious reasons.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM

I just changed the crankshaft position sensor and the car will still not start. I don't know what else to do now. The only other choice might be to change the intake cam position sensor. I have still not verified that the car will not start with a bad intake cam sensor. Can someone verify this? Right now I have a new crankshaft position sensor, exhaust cam magnet sensor and it still won't start. The car has fuel and spark as well. What else could cause this car not to fire correctly? Thanks again, I appreciate it

Last edited by one fast gto; 01-10-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Ok, I just changed the intake cam sensor and it still will not start. What am I missing here? Here is what is new:

Crankshaft position sensor
Camshaft position sensor (intake)
Camshaft postion sensor (exhaust)

Car has fuel and spark as well. Is there any fuses I can look at? What else does the car need to start correctly, I am at a loss here. I have never had so much trouble getting a car to start. I was thinking of changing the spark plugs next since they are cheap. Could it be something with the key, I really have no idea. Thanks for the help, I apperciate it

Last edited by one fast gto; 01-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by one fast gto
.... I just pulled off 4 connectors and plugged them back in and it won't start...
Take a good look inside the connectors and make sure a male pin didn't get bent over.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Ok, I will check that out tomorrow when the snow stops here. Are there any fusible links that might be causing this. I checked every fuse in the car and they are all good.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Hey - Just got home - 2.30 am in the morning here. See you are still having trouble. I'm very sorry to hear this. So all sensors are new. You have fuel & spark. Car still won't start.

I'm perplexed.

Next things - fuel is injecting at wrong time. Engine is firing at wrong time. Valve timing is out (can't possibly be - timing chain would have to jump and that would cause chaos).There is something wrong with the fuel or plugs are shot.

I want you to try something - Please get some fresh fuel. Pull off the airbox - and dribble some fresh fuel down the MAF inlet. Then see if it fires and tries to start. Maybe you have water in your fuel or some other contamination like diesel. Just give this a try. Don't lean over the inlet system while cranking the car. It could backfire up the inlet system although unlikely.

If all this fails you are going to have to get this car onto a STAR DAS because we are floundering around in the dark.

Check as Mleskovar suggests
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

If it does try to start with fresh fuel straight down the inlet system - Then we need to check the fuel, the pump & filter & fuel line pressure.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Hey - Just got home - 2.30 am in the morning here. See you are still having trouble. I'm very sorry to hear this. So all sensors are new. You have fuel & spark. Car still won't start.

I'm perplexed.

Next things - fuel is injecting at wrong time. Engine is firing at wrong time. Valve timing is out (can't possibly be - timing chain would have to jump and that would cause chaos).There is something wrong with the fuel or plugs are shot.

I want you to try something - Please get some fresh fuel. Pull off the airbox - and dribble some fresh fuel down the MAF inlet. Then see if it fires and tries to start. Maybe you have water in your fuel or some other contamination like diesel. Just give this a try. Don't lean over the inlet system while cranking the car. It could backfire up the inlet system although unlikely.

If all this fails you are going to have to get this car onto a STAR DAS because we are floundering around in the dark.

Check as Mleskovar suggests

+1

I think home diagnosis is coming to an end and it's coming time for professional diagnosis by someone with Star Diagnosis.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM

I just put 2 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank earlier in the week but I will try what you are suggesting. Can I just use starting fluid in the maf to try and start it instead of fuel? The plugs were soaked with fuel yesterday morning when I cranked it one time, so I am not sure fuel pressure is the problem but the thought did cross my mind. I am going to recheck all the pins on all the connectors I unplugged in a little while. Should I change the plugs even though they are clearly firing? What plugs are recommended for the car. I see NGKs in there now. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by one fast gto
I just put 2 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank earlier in the week but I will try what you are suggesting. Can I just use starting fluid in the maf to try and start it instead of fuel? The plugs were soaked with fuel yesterday morning when I cranked it one time, so I am not sure fuel pressure is the problem but the thought did cross my mind. I am going to recheck all the pins on all the connectors I unplugged in a little while. Should I change the plugs even though they are clearly firing? What plugs are recommended for the car. I see NGKs in there now. Thanks for the help.
Yes you can use starting fluid in the MAF especially as the weather is cold. I think the plugs are a long shot but compression suppresses spark so may be they are not behaving under compression. New NGK or Bosch (OE) plugs of the correct heat range are worth a try.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

You are going to have to look in your owners manual for specified plugs. I have a V6. I also have some sympathy with Newbs. I've STFF for an hour now and can't find recommended plugs for your car - only Splinter's excellent 112 plug change DIY but that is for a C32. Drex & others run Denso Iridium plugs but I have no experience with these.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Well, the starting fluid didn't work so I don't think I am going to be able to diagnose it anymore. The plugs are plenty wet but are still firing so I don't think they are bad. I think it will be towed to mercedes tomorrow morning. I have never been so frustrated with a car and I have been working on them for a while. I guess mercedes are different, thats all I can say. This hasn't changed my mind on buying one though as my next car will be a 05-06 e55. Thanks again guys, I will keep you updated on what they find. Do you know the dealer's labor rate, I am sure it is crazy lol. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
This suggestion might be a little 'out there' but sounds like you're desperate. I would take a look at the connector on the ECU. I don't know where it is in your car off the top of my head, but I would guess it's next to the front SAM? Unplug the connector and make sure there is no oil in it (just in case oil got into the wiring harness from somewhere you haven't checked and made it to the ECU. This might explain the p0600 error.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm disappointed we were unable to help. A number of us have had a good run of diagnosing problems at a distance over the last while. I guess it had to come to an end. Sorry it was you. At least you can tell them what it isn't.

Please keep us informed - then we all learn - Good luck
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
The labor rate at my local dealer is ~$130 an hour if I remember correctly. My dealer is an absolute horror show though. We have 2 MBs and every single time we bring either one without fail they will make excuses as to why certain things cant be repaired, and they WILL damage the car. (Ripped leather once, scratched bumper once, broke plastic clips on the seat, broke plastic clips under my shifter, dirty hand prints on white leater, "free car wash" but they barely wipe the rims so you are left with huge smudges of dirt on them that look worse than when it was dirty, and I've actually gotten my car back with someones "tag" graffitied in the dirt on the windshield using his finger.... the list goes on.) I hope your dealer is better. The one I refer to is Sovereign Mercedes in Brooklyn NY. The local Hyundai dealer puts more quality into their work.

EDIT: I see you're in NY.... hopefully going somewhere else!

Last edited by acr2001; 01-11-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by acr2001
This suggestion might be a little 'out there' but sounds like you're desperate. I would take a look at the connector on the ECU. I don't know where it is in your car off the top of my head, but I would guess it's next to the front SAM? Unplug the connector and make sure there is no oil in it (just in case oil got into the wiring harness from somewhere you haven't checked and made it to the ECU. This might explain the p0600 error.
Not "out there" at all. It's possible - but then so are other things The ECU is to the right rear of the airbox if you stand facing the front of the car.

To make matters worse this poor member has been battling out there in the snow

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-11-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM

I checked both ECU connectors this morning and cleaned them as well. I saw no oil in them to begin with. I seem to have exhausted every possible option I know of but thanks for the help. I am in long island, so I will be taking the car to Mercedes-Benz of massapequa. I hope this dealer knows what it is doing lol. Thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Well, I dropped the car off at mercedes on monday and they called me back today with horrible news. They are telling me the timing chain stretched somehow and knocked it out of time and a valve is binding on a piston now they are saying. This is all without the cylinder head even off the car. They are saying it is going to be 4K at least to fix it and that's before they even take the head off. It could have piston issues or some valves might not need to be changed. I have a question, the car is financed and only worth about 12K. I don't see it being feasible to put this kind of money in the car. I never owned a financed car, so what can be done here, if we can't fix it can the we tell the bank to take it? I need some serious input on this situation. I can just get her a cheap car for now if they can take it back but I am thinking that might not work. The bank is capital one auto finance. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Mark
Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Oh dear - so the timing chain did jump & cause chaos. Wow - sorry to hear that. I considered that highly unlikely. It must have been making a noise prior to this on start up prior to the oil pressure coming up. The valve might have stuck due to carbon build up, of course, let's see what they find.

You need to ask finance questions of locals. In South Africa you can't walk away from the deal. The minute you default in any way you would be in trouble & should the finance house repossess they would sell the car for a below market price & still come after you for the balance of the outstanding. The car only has reasonable value in good running condition. Locals need to advise you on parting out the car and it's value that way.

Make sure you get good advice. You are between a rock & a hard place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: P0100 code and rough running now no start