C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kompressor engine NOISE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kompressor engine NOISE HELP!

Hey everyone. Today my car started to make a funny noise. I have no mods except for a remus exhaust done to the engine. Anyways, now it is squeaking at idle, like the belt is messed up or something. Everytime i floor the car from 3000-redline, the car emits a LOUD shattering metal chaffing sound. It is very loud with the window open. I just got home now, I popped the hood, I cant tell whats going on tho. The car sounds clicky at idle too. Im thinking of driving it to the dealer tommorw for service. Any ideas please??

It is very loud sound. Sorta like the camshaft maybe? I cant tell but its weird. I dont want it to break down on me. It is running fine however.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:47 PM

It almost sounds like pst pst pst, im thinking head gasket possibly? Would it make a loud noise if it was severe enough. Im clueless!

Either way, she is on her way to the dealer first thing tomm.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:14 AM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
That sucks, I hope its nothing major
Old 01-20-2003, 12:19 AM

My car only has 3800 miles if that matters.

I noticed it consumed some oil, and the oil in it smells like CRAP. I also noticed when I am giving it full throttle and its making the noise, it seems to be putting out alot of exhaust smoke. I can see the trail left behind me or maybe thats beacuse its cold out..

Keep repsonses coming.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does the oil look like? What color is the smoke?
Old 01-20-2003, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I noticed it consumed some oil, and the oil in it smells like CRAP. I also noticed when I am giving it full throttle and its making the noise, it seems to be putting out alot of exhaust smoke. I can see the trail left behind me or maybe thats beacuse its cold out.
May be the head gasket.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:50 PM

I think a blown head gasket would produce a very erratic idle. Plus your exhaust would tend to be very white in color.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:53 PM

The exhaust is grey looking, i seem to be getting alot of black soot on the end of the tail pipes ( I have a remus). The oil is black in color very dark and it smells burnt.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by x15jq
The exhaust is grey looking, i seem to be getting alot of black soot on the end of the tail pipes ( I have a remus). The oil is black in color very dark and it smells burnt.
I don't know about the burnt oil, but couldn't a bad oxygen sensor make it run rough and smoke?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:53 PM

Well im about to go over to thedealer cuz im not gunna keep driving this around. For situatins like these do they ususally take them or will I have to schedule an appointment. I dont want to break down
Old 01-20-2003, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Well im about to go over to thedealer cuz im not gunna keep driving this around. For situatins like these do they ususally take them or will I have to schedule an appointment. I dont want to break down
They will always take it, but they won't work on it right away if they are busy. Whether or not you get a loaner car without an appointment depends on the dealer.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, it sounds like there is no coolant in the the oil. If there were, it would have a green tint and there would be light green froth on the dipstick. This would happen if a head gasket were blown between a cylinder and a water passage. Also the exhaust would produce large amounts of white smoke. While you still might have a blown gasket or other serious problems, it is very good that there is apparently no coolant in the oil.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Bad piston rings?
Old 01-20-2003, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by avlis
Bad piston rings?
That wouldn't cause the noises he is hearing.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:31 PM

Im not sure if your dealer is nice at all, but if they arent you might want to send it into service stock. (the engine)

~fk
Old 01-20-2003, 05:14 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Re: Kompressor engine NOISE HELP!

Hey everyone. Today my car started to make a funny noise. I have no mods except for a remus exhaust done to the engine. Anyways, now it is squeaking at idle, like the belt is messed up or something. Everytime i floor the car from 3000-redline, the car emits a LOUD shattering metal chaffing sound. It is very loud with the window open. I just got home now, I popped the hood, I cant tell whats going on tho. The car sounds clicky at idle too. Im thinking of driving it to the dealer tommorw for service. Any ideas please??

It is very loud sound. Sorta like the camshaft maybe? I cant tell but its weird. I dont want it to break down on me. It is running fine however.
Many possibilities based on the info given. But since you say it is smoking you must assume the worst. Do not drive it, certainly do not rev it to redline and have it hauled in to the dealer on a flatbed.

Does the noise appear to be relatively fast or slow?
Does it increase frequency steadily with rpm?
Does it change tone when load is placed on the engine?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Lynn
That wouldn't cause the noises he is hearing.
Rings could get trashed if a wrist pin comes loose and gouges the bore, would cause a lot of blowby into the crankcase which would cause smoke and maybe stinky oil.

A spun main/rod bearing would definately cause burnt oil from the friction and an ugly noise as well.

Niether is an attractive scenario, lets hope an accessory item went south.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DCX, somehow when I first read the first two posts, the sound of a head gasket blown to the atmoshere popped into my head, but that is most definitely not what x15jq wrote. That would be a better scenario than a spun bearing or broken wrist pin. Good thing it is under warranty because it is going to be expensive.

x15jq, take DCXdynodog's recommendation and do not start the engine again.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:51 PM

Well i had to drive it there today, it was making it the whole time under heavy accel. And odly when i started it up and the tech came in the car it didnt do it. Im so mad because i swear it was such a loud bad noise. My friend said i shouldnt have drove it because it sounded like a bent valve. It litereally soudned like a washing machine full of marbles.

and the squeak went away too, but its going for servie next week. I felt so dumb in front of the tech he must have thought i was crazy he was like, something probably was caught in the super charger, but the noise was so severe.

Oh well, i hope its not something bad.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Kompressor engine NOISE HELP!

Could the metal on metal sound be your new exhaust system smacking a crossmember or something? I had a cat back setup on my SC that would do that when it was cold...after it warmed up there was no clearance problem. Leave the car at the dealer overnight and have them listen on a cold startup...there's plenty of noise then

If youre not using any oil or antifreeze, its likely not the engine if its an intermittent noise. Spun bearings, missing retaining clips, wrist pins, valves hitting the piston, etc are a short term noise...as in the engine doesn't last long after the noise starts.

If it comes back and its not related to the exhaust, change the oil, if the oil's clean(no metal particles/chunks, I think you can be reasonably sure its not in the motor.

BTW, is the M111 or M271 an interfernce design motor? I didn't think it was...
Old 01-20-2003, 10:23 PM

It was making crazy noise at this point.

Seriously tho, I drive it hard, but I dont abuse the car by any means. The noise is present again when the motor is semi warm, and the belts are sqeeakinig. Im guessing a pulley or an accesory is a fault mabye even the sc?

Thanks keep postin!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550

Seriously tho, I drive it hard, but I dont abuse the car by any means. The noise is present again when the motor is semi warm, and the belts are sqeeakinig. Im guessing a pulley or an accesory is a fault mabye even the sc?

Thanks keep postin!
Did you shift into N while driving or does the auto actually allow you to red-line?

Erik
Old 01-20-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

Thanks keep postin!
Why is your motor turning 6K at 20mph? Is this really where the auto shifts to 2nd?

I'm at like 32 or 33mph at 6K with the 6speed. And I think that's still geared too low. 1-2nd at 20mph? Geez, that's diesel gearing
Old 01-20-2003, 11:28 PM

Thanks keep postin!
Hey! You gotta look out that little window in the front when your driving or your gonna hear one really bad noise!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:50 PM

My friend took the photo from the back seat. That was while I was on my way to the dealer. I popped it in neutral and just monentarily pinned it. The noise is disgusting. It soudned like there was marbles being chucked around inside the motor. My friend said it even sounded like a bent valve.

I dont know what the hell it was, but when the tech came in the car to hear it, it was gone. Its been there for the last week too on and off. There would be a nasty sqeak/howl at idle that would acompany the grinding noise at high rpm. I just hope its not something serious, I have had no other problems with the car. Its weird it totally disapeared, i would have wished they could at least hear it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kompressor engine NOISE HELP!