C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pics of my black painted grille

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: Very nice job

Originally posted by blueC230K
Both of you "black twins" look great!! Love it. Just want to know how do you take off the grille? any special tools needed? Thanks
Its very easy i had the grille off and on in uder 3 minutes, once u get to do it once u will understand, the first time can be tricky.
As long as u have a rachect set (only because i forgot what size) and a flat head screw driver, its and easy, u just need to unscrew the top chrome peice and take it off, then the tricky part is to take the bottom portion of the grill off, u will see what needs to be unscrewd, but on the sides of the grille inside there are 2 clips that need to be taken off then the grille cant be poped of of those 2 clips on eash side, (it will be loose but not out yet) on the bottom of the "Star" inderneath it u will be something where u need to use a flathead screwdriver and pop out 2 plastic peices, Once thats out u can they to carefully remove the grille, it will use some effort though.

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
BlackC230Coupe, looks great, I'll have to ask my local body shop if they'll do it. Do you know if they had to do something to the chrome to make the paint stick? Also, did they do anything special to the paint to make it more chip resistant?
I actually watched the guy the whole time so i know every step, After he took off the "Star" on the grille he unclipped the bottom thin chrome strip and took that along with the top chrome strip and first tried to sand it by hand for about 10 minutes till he realized he was not getting anywhere, he said its the best chrome paint he has ever seen and if it was a honda he would have already made a hole threw it, so he then used a sander till he finally got somewhere. After that he cleaned the grille and used something actually in a spray can that will make paint stick to chrome/plastic, it was nothing special, something that looked like it can be purchased in a Pep Boys or even a Wal Mart, after he did that he used his own paint and compressor and sprayed the grille a couple times black to match the car, after that all he used was a clear coat. He said its just as strong as the rest of the paint on the car. I asked if he thinks it will chip and he said u are more likely getting a chip on the metal parts of the car then this, but of course if something hard hits it, it can chip (just like anything). When it was all dry i actually tried scratching a peice on the side with my finger nail to see how good it was and to try to peel it off, and i had no such luck. He did a good job. Oh yeah and after it was on the car i waxed the grille and now its even smoother.

Originally posted by hokusbenz
i would do the same thing to the grille for my black coupe, except i would leave the chrome strips at the top and bottom- if someone could photeshop this on blackc230's car i would appreciate it. thanks
I would not do that if i were u. I have already photoshopped it on my car before i got it painted and it just looked ugly, like 2 strips out of no where, or they looked like u tried adding chrome to the car. I actually deleted that picture, but if u want i can do one over for u. I would eaither leave it stock or paint it all. I have seen it on some euro C230 on ebay the way u described and did not like it.

Originally posted by madryan
i was thinkin of painting mine... but i have black shiny vinyl tape on instead.... this is a good idea for those who leased
at first i did of the silver part ( left the chrome)...
then i did the whole grille....
same effect (except it was free).... but painted looks better

maybe when i paint my wing i'll do the grille too??...
i like the fact that i could just peel off and be stock though...

anyone know how much a new grille costs??
My car is leased and i had it painted along with the rest of my mods. I tried the tape and it kept bubling and looked like crap and did not match well with the black car.

I once was talking to my service rep and he thinks the grille is like $400.00 but he was not sure, it may not be true since he did not check with the parts dept. but i can imagine them to be cheap.