C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

removing trunk spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230
removing trunk spoiler

I bought a trunk spoiler but the fitment is horrible! The problem is, I already installed it in my car, it has the 3m red moulding double sided tape.
How hard is it to remove the trunk spoiler without damaging it. Does anyone who already have done it share some tips or instructions. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I'd test fit it first before using the tape.

Ok, serious answer - I'd try dental floss or fishing line between the spoiler and trunk. I'd imagine it'll be hard to not scratch it at this point.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Hair dryer with the heat on, or a heat gun if you are really careful, and the fishing line.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
I just ripped my aftermarket one off the other day to make room for the oem one i got. I just pulled at it for a bit to weaking the adhesion and then pulled it off. No damage was done. The hard part is cleaning off the left over tape. And yea, definately test fit first!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 PM

'05 C230
Thanks! Can you give me ideas on what is the best way to install this kind of bumper? I installed mine myself and I wont recommend it, you need help to align it properly.
Do you guys start at the left and right corners or the middle?
I have the c55 cf spoiler so I also have to make sure the bumper will align with the 3rd brake light.
here's the current picture

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by pawe
Thanks! Can you give me ideas on what is the best way to install this kind of bumper? I installed mine myself and I wont recommend it, you need help to align it properly.
Do you guys start at the left and right corners or the middle?
I have the c55 cf spoiler so I also have to make sure the bumper will align with the 3rd brake light.
I'm lost...

Are we talking about your spoiler or your bumper? The bumper isn't supposed to align with the 3rd brake light.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Ok I've never tried this but I was reading on an Infiniti forum that a good way to align and fit a bumper is to use a spray bottle with water and dish soap and spray it on the area you're applying your bumper (in this case the trunk deck) and then apply a bit to the bottom of the spoiler. You can now move around the bumper and align it perfectly and wait for the water to dry for about 10 minutes and when it is drying push on the spoiler so that it sticks. I'm not sure if this works, but the people on the forums have said it does.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by pawe
I bought a trunk spoiler but the fitment is horrible! The problem is, I already installed it in my car, it has the 3m red moulding double sided tape.
How hard is it to remove the trunk spoiler without damaging it. Does anyone who already have done it share some tips or instructions. Thanks!
I was at a shop out here in LA and one of the techs started at one end, lifting it up as much as possible then yanked the whole thing right off... the spoiler and trunk were fine. I don't recommend doing that, but surprised me that nothing got f'd up... this was on an M3, I don't know what type of spoiler it was..

Can you tell me what CF spoiler you bought? is this the Euroteck one??

Thanks...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
I used a credit card and Hair Dryer haha scratched the hell out of my trunk so don't use a credit card but ur fitment isn't bad you just didn't align it right...my fitment was just baaaaaad! but I am about to get another one to cover up the damage I caused...I rushed tho trying to get to a car meet which is why I resorted to the credit card but its going to take some force...and maybe a friend.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM

'05 C230
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
I'm lost...

Are we talking about your spoiler or your bumper? The bumper isn't supposed to align with the 3rd brake light.
Sorry, I was talking about the spoiler. The bumper was a typo.

Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
I was at a shop out here in LA and one of the techs started at one end, lifting it up as much as possible then yanked the whole thing right off... the spoiler and trunk were fine. I don't recommend doing that, but surprised me that nothing got f'd up... this was on an M3, I don't know what type of spoiler it was..

Can you tell me what CF spoiler you bought? is this the Euroteck one??

Thanks...
This is the euroteck c55 spoiler. Actually, the fitment is not that bad (sorry about my first post). I test fit it and it lined up properly but you have to bend it on the corners because it doesnt really hug the trunk properly.

Anyway
I used a spatula and a blow dryer and it came out really good. No scratches on the paint and I just used goo gone for the adhesive residue.
This is what Im going to do tomorrow, ill strip off about 1-2 inches of the adhesive on both corners then when everything is aligned, ill pull out the entire backing just to be sure the corners are hugging the trunk.

Im just worried that the corners will peel while im waiting for the adhesive to cure.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

'05 C230
Originally Posted by C230\PV
Ok I've never tried this but I was reading on an Infiniti forum that a good way to align and fit a bumper is to use a spray bottle with water and dish soap and spray it on the area you're applying your bumper (in this case the trunk deck) and then apply a bit to the bottom of the spoiler. You can now move around the bumper and align it perfectly and wait for the water to dry for about 10 minutes and when it is drying push on the spoiler so that it sticks. I'm not sure if this works, but the people on the forums have said it does.
Makes sense, that's how they install tints and decals so i guess that will work. Only thing is, you have to stand there and hold the spoiler in place while waiting for the water and soap to evaporate and the adhesive to cure.

Do you think using that method will weaken the bonding strength of the red 3m adhesive?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
park it in a garage if you can if not do it outside... blow it with a hairdryer than spray goo gone under the adhesive and slowly warm it up till you can wiggle it and rip it off than clean rest with goo gone taaa daaaah