C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Broken Rocker Arm....bent intake valve...timing skipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Rocker Arm....bent intake valve...timing skipping

Hello,

I dunno if anyone remembers the last time i posted about my car (2003 C230 Benz coupe with 58k) that i brought it and someone told me i need a new engine. I had them take about the motor (for $85/hr!) for 2 hours and they told me i have a broken rocker arm , my timing skipped, and i have a bent intake valve. Then he called for permission to work on it for 5 more hours to take apart the cylinder head to see the rest of it....He says it's gonna cost 2 grand just for what he's seen so far....does that sound right? Does it take 5 hours to take off the cylinder head? how much more is this thing gonna cost me before i get rid of itttt!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
You're paying MB prices there my friend.

I'd say about 2 hours to get the head off and at least 2-4 more to disassemble and thoroughly go over it. I'd say 2K just to look at something is ridiculous, but 2K for a rebuilt head is a good price.

If you were in NJ I'd say bring it here.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I think the $2K is to repair the rocker and valve. Once the head comes off there may be more damage is what the mechanic means? He should have used a boroscope already and looked at the valve/rocker piston and cylinder. 5 hours is excessive time to pop a head. What's with all the early c230 motors "jumping the timing chain"? Is that really happening or are the valves just binding in the guides? I've read they have guide wear problems.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I don't mean to be an ***, but are you completely insane? NEVER allow the stealer to work on a vehicle out of warranty! First of all, they do not employ "mechanics" they are "part swappers". They have no idea what they're doing beyond swapping parts to fix a problem. On top of that, their prices are unbelievable, and amount to nothing more than a scam.

Take the car to a good independent mechanic with experience working on Mercedes. You will pay half the price, and get far better work.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by mleskovar
He should have used a boroscope already and looked at the valve/rocker piston and cylinder. 5 hours is excessive time to pop a head. What's with all the early c230 motors "jumping the timing chain"? Is that really happening or are the valves just binding in the guides? I've read they have guide wear problems.
+1 - I would like to know if there is excessive carbon (burnt VI Improver) build up on the valve tulip from using crap fuels. This timing chain issue is either a worry or a misdiagnosis. Chains don't just jump & if there is a tensioner issue it should make a noise long before chains jump. The only sensitivity these engines are supposed to have WRT timing chains, is being turned backwards. Could a bad start lead to the engine kicking backwards? Who knows.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM

No, I took it to this place in Albany,NY called Autobahn Centre. can I get anything for the car while it's broken?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by gut46
No, I took it to this place in Albany,NY called Autobahn Centre. can I get anything for the car while it's broken?
You can, yet you'll get peanuts, anyone willing to buy it will do so for a steep discount as a parts car, or as a salvage car with hopes of fixing it cheap themselves.

You're better off fixing the problem then selling, and no, you won't recoup any loss. Write it off as a lesson learned: MB quality is amoung the lowest in Consumer Reports for a good reason.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by amanonfire
You can, yet you'll get peanuts, anyone willing to buy it will do so for a steep discount as a parts car, or as a salvage car with hopes of fixing it cheap themselves.

You're better off fixing the problem then selling, and no, you won't recoup any loss. Write it off as a lesson learned: MB quality is amoung the lowest in Consumer Reports for a good reason.
+1 - thank heavens the W204 has made it to the top of the latest JD Powers survey here - even above Honda - Toyota have slumped to 6th

Fix it & keep it, or detail it & sell it once repaired.