C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Well there goes my first transmission...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2003 | 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: 6 spd availability

Originally posted by Wheens
Just to further the debate, my ordering a manual vs. an auto has pushed my projected build from mid Feb to "sometime" in Apr for my 320Coupe!! According to dealer, "no earlier slots".
It's stupid that they consider these cars different models. So if you have an order in for an auto, and you switch to manual, you are basically put on a different list. It's just a transmission. You should still be in line for the same car. They will just build it with a different trans. But apparently it doesn't happen this way.
Old 01-25-2003 | 09:06 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Matt230K
Are you sure this is the reason? It may be if they have had a lot of complaints about it. But usually they will sell you one anyway if that is what you want.

My dealer does not stock 6-spds either, but only because they don't sell very well. Everyone around here wants an auto. I would think they would push the auto just so they can sell you a car right away instead of ordering a 6-spd.
No way for me to know for sure. Oh yes, they were willing to sell me one, but didn't have one for me too drive or buy. It is my opinion that it causes too many headaches for the dealer so they push the alternative, but who knows?

One thing I know for sure, the dealer who told me there was no demand for 6spds is missing one cash sale they should've been able to fill. I bought from the dealer who had a car I could drive, I didn't buy that car, but they had one I could test drive at least. The week I bought mine another guy was looking for a 6 spd car as well, so there is some demand for sure.
Old 01-25-2003 | 09:38 PM

troll alert, this was a suggested fix by a mb tech at my dealership. wouldn't you know ,it works. supposedly there was a tech bulletin on this, but i dont know. also atf works fine in manual trannies.
Old 01-25-2003 | 09:57 PM

Originally posted by nov0798
troll alert, this was a suggested fix by a mb tech at my dealership. wouldn't you know ,it works. supposedly there was a tech bulletin on this, but i dont know. also atf works fine in manual trannies.

Yea, so does std engine oil, provided the trans isn't making chips and eating itself alive. duh.
Old 01-26-2003 | 01:18 AM

yea well maybe the tranny will stop eating itself alive with the proper fluid DUH!
Old 01-26-2003 | 01:19 AM

yea well maybe the tranny will stop eating itself alive , and stop making chips with the proper fluid DUH! maybe mb ****ed this one up my tranny shifts as smooth as my integra did, no probs here
Old 01-26-2003 | 02:34 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by speedfrk
taylor, I've driven worse too, but they were 30 yr old cars. Matter of fact, my 30 yr old TR8 shifts better than my new MB. Go drive an Acura RSX, 350Z, BMW 3xx, and you will see that MB has a long way to go if they want to compete with cars in this class. As I've said before, it is a very mediocre transmission. If you get a bad one like some of us have, it becomes a really dissappointing transmission and ruins the enjoyment of the car.
Before you praise the 350Z lets just see how well the tranny holds up with time. Nissan has a somewhat bad rep with synchros wearing very fast with spirited driving.

When you compare the MB manual with perhaps the best manual out there, the BMW, of course we're going to lose, but MB is known for the great automatics it has, and has BMW beat.

I can see how getting a bad one is disapointing, but it happens with every manufacturer. I bought a 6-speed knowing that MB doesn't make them for its other models, so I didn't expect perfection, I expected average and so far that's what I have gotten... or mediocre in your words.
Old 01-26-2003 | 03:33 PM

I'm noticing an irritating trend toward less-than-durable manual transmissions. I'm not a Coupe owner (though I'm considering one, love at first sight...), but the main reason I want out of my current car (WRX) is the ridiculous ease with which the transmission failed-- under non-abusive driving conditions. Both the Z forums and RSX forums have reported similar problems with grinding, stiff gear changes, etc., though Honda has apparently addressed theirs. This is one area I was convinced MB would have no issues; is it possible that there are only a few cases here?
Old 01-26-2003 | 07:05 PM

C320 Coupe
I've only driven one 230 with a 6sp which was an 03 230c with the C7 short shifter. I thought it was as good as a Honda. Most manuals will loosen up with miles. As far as Speed Freaks' comment on RSX's, my 02 RSX type S grinds on the 1-2 shift. It is annoying, but doesn't seam to affect performance.

I can't wait to order my c230wz with a 6sp.l
Old 01-26-2003 | 07:34 PM

C7 short shift

Exactly. Maybe the short throw shifter tightens things up. Apples and oranges, but the Subaru short shifter (with linkage) helped quite a bit, as did a weighted knob. I haven't noticed this breakdown on MB's site; is a short throw still a part of the C7 package?
Old 01-26-2003 | 10:41 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Fitchfan
I'm noticing an irritating trend toward less-than-durable manual transmissions. I'm not a Coupe owner (though I'm considering one, love at first sight...), but the main reason I want out of my current car (WRX) is the ridiculous ease with which the transmission failed-- under non-abusive driving conditions. Both the Z forums and RSX forums have reported similar problems with grinding, stiff gear changes, etc., though Honda has apparently addressed theirs. This is one area I was convinced MB would have no issues; is it possible that there are only a few cases here?
This is a common problem with all forums, and with people in general. Only the ones that complain are usually heard, cause they usually are the loudest.

There are problems with every car, and they seem to surface on forums, cause not many will just post "I love my 6 speed, no problems after XXX miles".

I would expect problems with the new Z, the Altima and Sentra (not sure about the Maxima) had very bad manual trannys, many of the original Sentra SE-R 6-speeds were replaced entirely, and I think there was a tech bulletin posted about the faulty tranny.

Hondas seem to have the least problems... but then again... look at the S2000, something like 3000/9000 were problematic/lemons (I'd have to find that stat again to be sure)... so not even Honda does everything right!
Old 01-27-2003 | 12:11 AM

E350 Coupe (2010)
I am not one to "lemon out" my car. I have had the car 8 months (20k+) miles and I really love it. I cant find a car with much of a better look and feel and I have had little to no complaints from it other than the transmission and other little things...

BUT ...

I am approaching 6k+ dollars in replaced parts so far. This really worries me for longevity. But if it fixes major issues now rather than later I am happy.
Old 01-27-2003 | 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Enze6997
I am approaching 6k+ dollars in replaced parts so far. This really worries me for longevity. But if it fixes major issues now rather than later I am happy.
One thing that I wonder about: if some dealers are more willing to suggest expensive, labor intensive repairs for cars still under warranty since MB's paying for it, making the dealership extra money on the parts and labor, for repairs that really aren't necessary. (Such as replacing an entire transmission to fix a single synchro.)

- BT
Old 01-27-2003 | 11:19 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
On my car the MB rep is the one who specified that they change the syncro and fork. The service writer said that was more expensive than swapping out the whole transmission because of the labor. He said he didn't have any idea why they didn't just replace the whole trans, but it was MB's decision not theirs. BTW, it was no better after the work was done.
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:21 AM

Originally posted by trench
One thing that I wonder about: if some dealers are more willing to suggest expensive, labor intensive repairs for cars still under warranty since MB's paying for it, making the dealership extra money on the parts and labor, for repairs that really aren't necessary. (Such as replacing an entire transmission to fix a single synchro.)

- BT
The last thing I wanted was a butchered trans slammed together in flash by a flat rate wrench. When one part starts making chips lots of other things like bearings take a hit as well. (no oil filter in a manual trans) A telltale sign of these failures is metal chips in the lube. Somthing in there is not machined correctly. I would have refused to accept the car (as it was brand new) so in my case they did the right thing.

I don't understand Speedfrk's deal, MB is screwing up that one, they are gonna lose a customer and customer loyalty is an MB trademark, no?

It seems some reps/dealers realise the trans issues and do the right thing to keep customers happy and save labor time as well. Hopefully they send the junk ones back to the supplier so they can see the product failure. I have to believe MB is unhappy about the supplier quality control issues. I would imagine Getrag supplies the trannys. Maybe someone can verify that?
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:29 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
From what they told me they are getrag trans. It sure seems that there are a lot of trans and diff problems with these cars. Considering the relatively small number of owners that are a part of these forums, the failure rate seems very high. Definately supplier problems.
Old 01-28-2003 | 10:59 AM
taylor192

- BT
Sure the parts would be higher for an entire transmission, but the labour should be less, ripping a transmission apart to replace a synchro should take longer than just dropping the whole thing and replacing it.

Because of all this, I think I am going to ask to have the tranny fluid changed at Service A, and inspect it for metal filings... if there are any I'm going to politely ask for a new transmission, and continue the trend at every service until my warrantee expires... would anyone agree that this is more than reasonable to expect while under warrantee?
Old 01-28-2003 | 12:25 PM

Originally posted by speedfrk
From what they told me they are getrag trans. It sure seems that there are a lot of trans and diff problems with these cars. Considering the relatively small number of owners that are a part of these forums, the failure rate seems very high. Definately supplier problems.
The diffs are itty-bitty little things too. All the weight is in these cars must be sound reducing stuff.

PT Cruiser turbo comes with getrag trans and they are very stiff/clunky shifting as well. (don't know about failures though)
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:04 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
well... my hope is that it will get fixed and be smoother ultimately. But worst comes to worst I at least will have an effort made by MB to fix the problem which would for the very least make up for the anoyances of the service issues I have had in the past.
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
(Such as replacing an entire transmission to fix a single synchro.)
Perhaps this wasn't the best example. Mea culpa.

Originally posted by DCXdynodog
All the weight is in these cars must be sound reducing stuff.
I realize you're joking about the sound deading material, but building a car that can be crashed at high speed on the autobahn takes some weight. In fact, I have a German friend who hates MBs for the same reason a lot of people hate SUVs in America. Whenever they crash into a smaller car, all of the people in the small car are killed while the MB driver walks away unscathed.

- BT
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:17 PM

Getrag

Theories are a waste of time I suppose, but even Getrag works under the auspices of a contract and specs as supplied by the manufacturer. I would hope that this isn't the case with MB, meaning they opted out on a certain type of steel, heat-treating, etc. I really want to consider the 320 coupe for my next purchase but I won't tolerate "difficulties" with major mechanical parts.

In my case, I can appreciate why a transmission would theoretically fail (AWD, hard launch for those that indulge in that sort of thing in the wrong sort of car) but not with normal driving.

Anyhow, hope to be part of the brotherhood one of these days...
Old 02-09-2003 | 02:42 PM

Perhaps this wasn't the best example. Mea culpa.

I realize you're joking about the sound deading material, but building a car that can be crashed at high speed on the autobahn takes some weight. In fact, I have a German friend who hates MBs for the same reason a lot of people hate SUVs in America. Whenever they crash into a smaller car, all of the people in the small car are killed while the MB driver walks away unscathed.

- BT
Hmmm... must be why everyone hates me... when I'm not in my C230K I drive my Chevy SAV (Suburban Assault Vehicle)
Old 02-09-2003 | 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
In my case, I can appreciate why a transmission would theoretically fail (AWD, hard launch for those that indulge in that sort of thing in the wrong sort of car) but not with normal driving
A supercharged "sportcoupe" w/ a manual tranny + performance modifications out the ying-yang = probably harder than average driving, to say the least
Old 02-09-2003 | 04:20 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Originally posted by Jim Banville
A supercharged "sportcoupe" w/ a manual tranny + performance modifications out the ying-yang = probably harder than average driving, to say the least
Who are you referring to? My car has been like this from the day I got it, and DCX's car never made it off the lot. The guy who started this thread has no mods listed for his car.
Old 02-09-2003 | 07:12 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
Yeah I have jack for perf mods... They did the swap supposedly and it still feels the exact same way... AND my paperwork states the old tran as INOPERABLE. Which is shadey... and they have the parts ordered listed as a Automatic Transmission.... So I think I was subject to a dealership giving MBZ the ole backdoor rogering.

Anyone know who i can contact about this?
At least to A. report it and B. To get a verification that the work actually happened.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well there goes my first transmission...