C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Does any1 know how to relocate GPS antenna?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2003 | 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Does any1 know how to relocate GPS antenna?

I was wondering if there's any way to relocate the antenna?

C320S
Old 01-24-2003 | 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
It's only glued to the window, you can take it off with a razor blade. Take it off and I bet your locator still functions properly. $32 part if you want to put it back on later...or glue the original one back on.
Old 01-25-2003 | 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mleskovar
It's only glued to the window, you can take it off with a razor blade. Take it off and I bet your locator still functions properly. $32 part if you want to put it back on later...or glue the original one back on.
I've been working with GPS systems for over 15 years. You lose your bet. What did I win?

I believe that is also the primary analog cell antenna for the Teleaid. The antenna could be removed and different type of GPS antenna could be placed under the dash. If you are using Teleaid, another analog cell phone antenna would need to to installed on the exterior of the car.
Old 01-25-2003 | 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Lynn...help me understand

I knocked mine off and was surprised to see that there are no active components in it and no physical connections through the glass. If it could be "placed under the dash" tells me it could be put anywhere in the car. Are you saying this little nothing of an 'antenna' is required for the GPS and Teleaid to work? If you glued another type to anyplace on the car's exterior glass it would work? Like one of the side rear windows?
Old 01-25-2003 | 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The antenna is a through the glass type of antenna. While it may work with the outside portion removed, if the entire antenna is removed it won't work at all. I don't know exactly how a through the glass antenna works, but the exterior portion is needed for optimal results.

I was some what surprised to learn that an antenna can be placed under the dash. But looking at the slope of the windshield, and considering that there are 28 satellites at this time, I can see where a sufficient number of satellite signals car be received.

In order to get a good position, the receiver must be getting signals from at least three satellites, which are in the proper geometric relationship to each other. Four or more satellites would refine the position and an ellipsoidal height could be determined. A sun roof helps, and a Panorama roof is even better, but for best results the antenna should be on the outside of the vehicle. On the other hand, we aren't trying to miss mountains in the fog at high speeds, or doing geodetic surveys, so we can sacrifice some accuracy.

The type of GPS antenna commonly used for in car navigation is a microstrip. The plane of the antenna should be placed as closely to parallel to level ground as possible. However, there are types of GPS antennae that can be mounted on the side glass. They would look much like the side glass mount antennae available for XM and Sirius satellite radios.
Old 01-25-2003 | 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Test?

So it sounds like it will still work without the 'through the glass' antenna. Maybe reduced coverage/sensitivity? Hey spongebob...take it off and see. Worst case it will cost you $32 to put it back if it doesn't come off clean. I can see where you would want it relocated though...sure breaks up the line of your spoiler.
Old 01-25-2003 | 03:06 PM

C230K and ML320
That antenna is only a cell phone antenna... Not a GPS antenna. The GPS antenna is on the inside rear of the car (by the inside window at the rightside) and can't be seen from the outside (it's hidden behind the liner). So placement of that cell phone antenna will have nothing to do with your GPS.

Dave
Old 01-25-2003 | 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, it is under the black tint at the top on the rear window? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2003 | 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by mleskovar
I can see where you would want it relocated though...sure breaks up the line of your spoiler.
Yes, that was the main reason why I'd like to relocate it...

But if it's a cellphone antenna, I may not need it at all...I have no phone in the car...

I'll ask the tech when I go for my service A.

BTW, There may be a reason why MB put it on top of back CLASS window... not on the top of the METAL spoiler...just a thought

Thanks all.

Last edited by spongebob; 01-25-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2003 | 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have Teleaid, you'll need that antenna. It is the primary antenna for the Teleaid's analog cell phone. There is a backup in the rear bumper according to some people, and there may be another somewhere else. But, the little stub is the main one.
Old 01-26-2003 | 10:36 AM

C230K and ML320
Originally posted by Lynn
So, it is under the black tint at the top on the rear window? Thanks for the info.
Yes, Lynn... But it's INSIDE the car under the liner. Steve had shown me the pictures on his computer. It's one of the perks of having Steve stay with you while he's in the US doing Comand installs....

Dave
Old 01-26-2003 | 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you mean it is under the plastic moding at the top of the hatch or under the cloth headliner at the rear of the roof? I can ask Steve when he is here to install my COMAND.
Old 01-27-2003 | 11:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
The stub on the rear window is cellphone only...teleaid does come with an additional cellphone antenna in the bumper as Lynn already said.

The GPS antenna in the W203 is stuck on the inside of the rear window under the black bar on top of the window at the complete rightside of the car...it can not be seen from the outside.

greetingz,