C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Are HID headlights really necessary
I like the standard Halogens just fine, thank you
17.65%
Standards are fine, may add higher output Hals later
26.47%
Gotta have factory HIDs, it's all about being seen, ya know?
26.47%
Give me aftermarket HIDs, not avail./too cheap to buy OEMs
20.59%
Who cares, I'm not into BMW emulation...
8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Are Xenon HIDs really necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:22 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Are Xenon HIDs really necessary?

Every tenth thread here seems to deal with the Halogen versus Xenon HID headlight debate. Personally, I can see going to the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs (higher output halogen?) as the OEM bulbs burn out, but I don't really understand the hub-bub over the HIDs (either OEM or aftermarket).

The standard Halogens on my sedan are some of the best lights for output that I have driven in years. (I guess I've driven real crap prior to this.) Not meaning to poke at other threads, just expressing that the standard Halogens are great as is, IMO., and wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way...
Old 01-21-2002, 10:36 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
I fully agree with you MB-BOB. And this even though I live in a place where sun never rises (almost) half of the year...
Old 01-21-2002, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
I'm not going to lie, the fake xenons i have are , to me at least, brighter than halogens that come in the car, but it also has to do with the look of the car as well. I just like looking like the 50k mercedes that come with xenons too
Old 01-21-2002, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
argh! i lost my first reply!

mb-bob, you will be assimilated. i predict w/in 5 years, almost all cars will have hids as standard. acura has already standardized on them. higher end models like the CLs only have xenons.

they look great. they WORK great. visibility is greatly enhanced. the only thing that holds them back is the cost. (which seems to vary greatly from car manufacturer to car manufacturer - w/ MB on the high end!).

have you seen the new audis? the hids are almost purple!
Old 01-21-2002, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Young: Yeah I saw a new A6 this morning with the headlights on and it looked very good and very purple. Supposedly thats what the 6000k xenons that renncpe look like on the road. thats what I want for college Graduation!
Old 01-21-2002, 10:58 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
QUOTE]The standard Halogens on my sedan are some of the best lights for output that I have driven in years. (I guess I've driven real crap prior to this.) Not meaning to poke at other threads, just expressing that the standard Halogens are great as is, IMO., and wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way...[/QUOTE]

What were your previous cars? Perhaps these halogens are brighter than what you had before, but I assure you that xenons go far beyond that. I bougt my GS400 in 1998 with Xenons, when all the hubub started and people flashed you daily because they thought u had your highbeams on. Since then, I have had 2 family members buy new cars with them bc they noticed sucha difference (99 323i, 02 S430). THe only car left in the family without xenons is a 96 E320 which i have been unfortunate enough to have had to drive at night. I am screaming for xenons after that. My mother, the main driver of the car, also vows that she no longer believes that I bought the xenons for hte cool color and that in fact, nighttime visibility is significantly better, esp at higher speeds.

All i can say...foggy may night on the parkway...traffic is going 45 mph...im going 65 bc i can actually see.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:03 AM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
I'm ok with them and they are brighter and therefore safer which is a good thing. But honestly don't think they're worth it to replace an already more than adequate set of high output halogens on the MB. I think my main arguement for them would be to blind those *******s back- cause they are brutal oncoming. But then you take it out on the gentler, kinder lights as well- so its kind of a no win IMT(wisted)O!
Zimmer.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by young
mb-bob, you will be assimilated.
Ah, yes, I've always wanted to be one of the BORG mass collective.

Keep talking guys. You're making my point with every post.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
borg? what's a borg?

btw, i think the real question is when are you guys going to finish w/ that compass thing! :p
Old 01-21-2002, 11:05 AM

As I currently drive a car that has OEM HIDs, I will say that the illumination advantage is startling. That said, I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything fake, nor would I consider an aftermarket (true) HID setup. I would get the factory HIDs, were they available.

Not that anyone asked, but IMO doing anything to a car that is purely for looks is the very definition of Rice. It's even worse when the fake lights provide - in reality - illumination that is inferior to the factory halogens.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by young
borg? what's a borg?

btw, i think the real question is when are you guys going to finish w/ that compass thing! :p
Hey, young, you don't want me to mess with your polls, so don't mess with my compass thread. (ha!)

Um, the BORG thing. Really, I'm trying to keep up with you youngins by watching Star Trek-Next Generation... The BORG drive around the galaxy in an unimaginative, cube-shaped spaceship, "assimilating" the individual types of lifeforms they conquer, turning them into look-alike, walk-alike, talk-alike, act-alike, think-alike zombies.

You know, sorta like buying car accessories that, well, you know...
Old 01-21-2002, 11:22 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Very well said mapman.

hey mb-bob...u still havent answered me. What were your previous cars you are comparing it to? You cannot deny that the fact that your current halogens are better than your previous cars does nothing to disprove the superiority of factory HID technology. Just bc you didnt want to spend the money to buy them, thats fine. You just have to admit they are better, that's all. God I hate people like that.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
Mapman: Thats my whole point. Everyone has their own opinion. As I have also stated before, the only reason i don't have OEM xenons is because they are not offered. I think for a 19 year old guy that drives a Mercedes I'm doing pretty damn good! I will get real xenons when i have the money. So correct me if I am wrong but if someone puts new rims on there car because they say "hey they just plain look better than the stock ones" then thats ricey.
Give me a break. Are you saying that the interior of renncpe car with the solid color aluminum trim is ricey too?

ATTENTION MERCEDES OWNERS! No new rims, spoilers, lights, orinterior modifications THATS RICE! HAHAHAHA
Old 01-21-2002, 11:27 AM

Hey look at me- I have a grand to blow on cool looking lights- bet you want me now all you shallow chicks. Do you HID people really feel they're worth (in the case of the coupe 4% of the cars total price based on their functionality advantage alone?) If you say yes I don't believe you and/or you really have no concept of the value of the dollar. I'll continue to try to be nice and blind the crap out of other nonpretentious drivers out there- thanks.
Zimmer.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:29 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
I ordered car with Halogen

But when the car came in, it had Xenon in it. I was not very happy, not because I didnt like the Xenon, but I didnt see the value in them for $1,300. So the dealer threw them in as a bonus. He was very understanding of the situation and made amends for the situation. Other than the Xenon, the only options I have are CD and Metallic paint. I think Halogen lights are great and serve the same useful purpose.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:31 AM

Thats NOT blind the crap out of others, you guys blind the crap out everyone and don't try and say you don't- you paid good money for it.
Zimmer
Old 01-21-2002, 11:35 AM

The best in the East he's a wild crazy beast he's the Vinman.
Surely you know where that's from.
Big convincing point Vinny.
Thanks,
Zimmer.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
Zimmer26 Keep preaching! I agree with you 110%. I dont know about you but I just don't have a grand to spend on lights. If I was able to afford a C32, S500, or other high-end Mercedes then maybe it would be different. If I ever am able to get a Mercedes of that caliber and get a "better than you" (not saying anyone has gotten that attitide) attitude i give ya'll permission to slap the crap out of me and take my car! I once again will say that xenons are better than just about any other lighting system on the road today. PERIOD!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:37 AM

C230
Question Re: Are Xenon HIDs really necessary?

Originally posted by MB-BOB
Personally, I can see going to the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs (higher output halogen?) as the OEM bulbs burn out, but I don't really understand the hub-bub over the HIDs (either OEM or aftermarket).
MB-BOB, Are you using the Phillips Bulbs now? Are Phillips Vision Plus Bulbs really better? I am looking for more light output not looks. And at $40 a pair they are fairly inexpensive if they offer any better light output at the same wattage.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by ThemisN
Very well said mapman.

hey mb-bob...u still havent answered me. What were your previous cars you are comparing it to? You cannot deny that the fact that your current halogens are better than your previous cars does nothing to disprove the superiority of factory HID technology. Just bc you didnt want to spend the money to buy them, thats fine. You just have to admit they are better, that's all. God I hate people like that.
ThemisN, there is no denying that HID technology is better... Just as Halogens were better than the older headlights they replaced. So, no reason for the hatred.

The purpose of this thread (as evident in the voting option descriptions) is not so much to debate the technology as it is to understand the REAL reasons why some gotta have them. So, far, I see some of you embracing the technology for what it really has to offer. But I see an equal number who gloss over the obvious technology reasons for STYLE reasons, or revenge reasons.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-21-2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
HIDs Necessary???

In some conditions, yes, in most, no.

Here's a tougher question...

Are luxury cars really necessary?

(I can't believe I typed that--the Bay Area must be getting to me!)
Old 01-21-2002, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe

So, far, I see some of you embracing the technology for what it really has to offer. But I see an equal number who gloss over the obvious technology reasons for STYLE reasons, or revenge reasons.
If you want to be seen thers always neon lights. Just a thought!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:29 PM

It appears I was too conservative in my figuring. The lights are well over a grand as Vinman pointed out, add tax and your in to 1400 for blue lights albeit high tech ones. Now you're talking 5.5% of the coupe's base price. Honestly are you guys high- I know you're probably sitting at home celebrating ML the King day so maybe that's it! Xenons make a statement no question, just not one that I'm at all interested in making and certainly not for the cost of my paint and C7 package. I'm not trying to preach but I just feel strongly about their lack of value and practicality and therefore coming off pretentious and showy- which I don't condone or accept of myself and am admittedly skeptical of those that do.

Maybe I'm frequenting the wrong crowd here. The GTI was a definitely a better fit to my persona- I even drove the Elantra GT too- I ruled virtually nothing out but driving the coupe was believing and I had to go against my anti-elitist perceptions and buy what made me the happiest behind the wheel. You can easily say is the coupe worth double that of the Elantra GT? To many I would say not, to someone that truly enjoys spirited driving as much as I do- yes I found it at least twice as much fun and isn't that what life is about?

Deep thoughts by Zimmer- whew I'm done.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The BORG drive around the galaxy in an unimaginative, cube-shaped spaceship, "assimilating" the individual types of lifeforms they conquer, turning them into look-alike, walk-alike, talk-alike, act-alike, think-alike zombies.
The Borg sound remarkably like the 14 to 25 year old demographic slice of America.

The HID's undoubtedly produce more and and give better visibility. Where I drive, however, I don't really need them, especially as the only way I'd have them is to refit oem at $1700 plus installation. There are several other things for the car I would much rather spend the money for.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by zimmer26
Deep thoughts by Zimmer- whew I'm done.
done for that post!

bmw charges $700 for the hids upgrade. for some reason, mb includes the headlight washers w/ that package. that is, xenons cost only $800 but you have to get the C4 (heated seats + washers) package w/ it - effectively making it $1500.

you have to realize that from a driver's point of view, i can't see my own lights; but i can see what it shines and it is good. i notice a huge difference in lights between hids vs my halogens. i can't go back anymore. going the other way, i see a ton of hids in my area and they don't blind me - just white vs yellow in color.

Last edited by young; 01-21-2002 at 01:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are Xenon HIDs really necessary?