C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help - Problem with new brake pads...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mleskovar
No hate :-) Sometimes it's very frustrating explaining things on the internet and understanding what others are saying. And that works both ways. I'm no expert and have been wrong many times. I no longer use the stock pads, couldn't stand the dust and short life (but the 'feel' was excellent, hot or cold). But my original MB pads wore evenly and I do remember the cutouts because the after market pads I installed did not have them. Maybe the witness marks you saw within the cutout were caused by pad dust buildup and then being compressed? If the piston is forcing the pad to **** and apply more pressure against the inner part of the rotor like you think then what about the pad on the other side? There's no cutout there. If the caliper were being cocked then the opposite would happen to that pad....more pressure on the outside of the rotor.There's enough piston to shim contact to evenly distribute the force and disc brakes rely on evenly distributed pressure across the face of the pad to work correctly. Otherwise you'd have temperature variations across the pads and rotors and the stopping power would be seriously compromised.
That makes sense! For some reason the new pads were not making full contact though. I'll take a picture of them next time I get a chance. I shouldn't say for some reason - we know the reason is that my rotors have not worn totally evenly, but I think you successfully shot down my idea about the shims - maybe on my car it's contacting the inside because they wore wrong. When I bought the car it had these pads on it, so god knows how badly they were broken in. Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm just going to put up with the insane amounts of dust. It's worth the amazing performance of the stock material.

Last edited by acr2001; 03-29-2009 at 08:12 PM.