C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyne replace their front hub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Anyne replace their front hub?

Last friday night i hit a pothole at 45-50mph. The car had a thumping noise right after, and i pulled to the side and put my spare on and parked my car into the garage. The next morning i inspected the rim that hit the pot hole and see no damage to the kumho tire but a slight flat spot on the inside of the rim. No prob b/c i have a extra brabus rep with a old tire on it. I put the rep on and it drove fine. I hit a few bumps and small pot holes and the noise came back but now i have a different rim. I than inspected everything and realize that i have 3 stripped lug nuts. I buy 5 new ones and the same thing happend after driving to work. The noise is from loose lugs.... why does my car keep stripping the lugs after i hit a bump???

Does this mean i have to replace the front hub? I have a 03' C320 4Matic with 90K currently ridin on 18" brabus reps with Kumho's

Has this happen to anyone? I'm worried b/c it feels like only 2 lugs are holdin on to my rim.... I've been drivin the car a lot less and driving it very slow. Before i order the front hub do you guys think that's the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Anyne replace their front hub?-frontsuspension.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
#2 is the hub

picture was taken from parts.com

Any insight would be great... Thank You!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Never heard of this happening. Assuming the bolts are correct and replacement rim is true. I would check....shock (maybe it's shot and beating the tire/rim to death), wheel bearing, hub, suspension. Push down on fender and release and front end should raise back up and stop. Continued oscillations up and down = bad shock. Then jack up tire to clear ground and grab tire and wiggle it top to bottom and side to side to see/hear/feel if anything is loose. Then spin tire and watch edge of rim carefully for eccentric movement (if hub is bent it would be easier to see this way). Remove tire and visually inspect for cracks or bent/broken parts. Sorry to repeat if all my suggestions have already been tried. I hope you find the problem quickly....let us know what it is.

Last edited by mleskovar; 03-31-2009 at 12:41 AM.