C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Center Arm rest issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C240 4Matic
Center Arm rest issue

I need help with my center arm rest. My son open both sides and now it will not close. any ideas on how to put this back? any help would be awesome....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by METC240
I need help with my center arm rest. My son open both sides and now it will not close. any ideas on how to put this back? any help would be awesome....
There is a little trick to it and an order in which you have to push what button. Call the dealership tomorrow and tell them u need instructions by someone who knows how to put it back in place. Mine jumped out three times in almost 4 years and I always call because I forget the order. Over the phone instructions always works for me.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM

2005 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by kickR
There is a little trick to it and an order in which you have to push what button. Call the dealership tomorrow and tell them u need instructions by someone who knows how to put it back in place. Mine jumped out three times in almost 4 years and I always call because I forget the order. Over the phone instructions always works for me.
I tried the phone thing and all I get is "you have to bring it in" from 3 different dealers... Any one out there know how to do this? Any help would be great, maybe you can give me the number of the dealership you call?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
i had the same problem, i dont know how i did it but i spend like an hour playing around with it and it finally just popped into place. sorry i cant help more than that
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM

05 C230 Kompressor
I dont know if my car is different that your but i just did mines on Wednesday.

2005 C230K Sedan.

I Just latched back (outward) the two little hook things that are at the rear of the arm rest. HOLD the two buttons as tight as possible with out breaking the buttons (this will keep the little hook things in the rear of the arm rest latched back) and slide in the arm rest from rear to front (keep an eye on how you do it, there are little metal pins that are supposed to slide in. You might have to fiddle with it once you slide it in there, it took me a good 10 tries to get it in there because i kept letting go of the buttons. I THINK you can do one side at a time if you're not able to push both buttons tightly at the same time. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you needs pictures of what i mentioned above.

Chris
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM

E550 Coupe
This just happened to me too, not sure how, have had '05 C230K sedan for 3 months. Followed Chris' advice above but also inadvertently discovered a variation that may make it easier by doing one side at a time.

1. Hold down both rear latches with one hand, then hold *ONE* button tight and it should keep both rear latches down. If you look carefully at the four retractable pins you need to fit, the ones on the side of the button you're holding will be better positioned (i.e. retracted further / shorter) so work on that side first (I did the driver's side from the driver's seat first).

2. While continuing to hold that button firmly, place the armrest in the correct orientation (cushion up, front forward, parallel to ground) working first to fit the rear pin on the same side as the button you're holding. Takes a little trial and error, but once that's in place don't let it jiggle out or else you have to start over.

3. While still holding that same button, next fiddle with the front pin on the same side until it fits into the slot. I could be wrong but if you release the button accidentally I think it should be okay as long as you keep the rear pin in place - just re-push the button and keep trying. Once you get both pins on one side in, you're essentially there because it's close to (but not exactly) the natural opening state where the armrest hinges on the front and rear pins you just fitted on the same side.

4. The rear latch on the opposite side has now snapped back into the closed position so manually flatten it again (with the armrest still open) and firmly push and hold the button on the open side. This holds the latch flat and retract the pins. Close the armrest to proper position while still holding the button, release the button when it seems to be in the exact normal position, then jiggle lightly until these remaining two pins slide into place. Repeat as necessary till done.

PITA if you have to do it, but after doing once I'd guess I could probably do it again in 3-5 minutes, depending on a little luck. I've learned so much reading this forum already, hopefully this might save someone else a little time and headache. Good luck!

Peter

Last edited by docwonder; 04-23-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM

2010 C63
Take it to the dealer -- they fix so many of these that it takes them 30 seconds. I fixed mine myself 3 or 4 times over the course of about 4 months and for some reason could not get it back in the last time. I sweated for 30 minutes trying to get that SOB back in.

Finally just drove over the the dealer (3 blocks away) and they popped it back in without even turning the car off. I was on my way in 60 seconds. Not sure what they did, but it hasn't popped back out in 2 years.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
This post in this topic has info and images. The topic also has other good info.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W124, W203, W204, W251
Originally Posted by docwonder
This just happened to me too, not sure how, have had '05 C230K sedan for 3 months. Followed Chris' advice above but also inadvertently discovered a variation that may make it easier by doing one side at a time.

1. Hold down both rear latches with one hand, then hold *ONE* button tight and it should keep both rear latches down. If you look carefully at the four retractable pins you need to fit, the ones on the side of the button you're holding will be better positioned (i.e. retracted further / shorter) so work on that side first (I did the driver's side from the driver's seat first).

2. While continuing to hold that button firmly, place the armrest in the correct orientation (cushion up, front forward, parallel to ground) working first to fit the rear pin on the same side as the button you're holding. Takes a little trial and error, but once that's in place don't let it jiggle out or else you have to start over.

3. While still holding that same button, next fiddle with the front pin on the same side until it fits into the slot. I could be wrong but if you release the button accidentally I think it should be okay as long as you keep the rear pin in place - just re-push the button and keep trying. Once you get both pins on one side in, you're essentially there because it's close to (but not exactly) the natural opening state where the armrest hinges on the front and rear pins you just fitted on the same side.

4. The rear latch on the opposite side has now snapped back into the closed position so manually flatten it again (with the armrest still open) and firmly push and hold the button on the open side. This holds the latch flat and retract the pins. Close the armrest to proper position while still holding the button, release the button when it seems to be in the exact normal position, then jiggle lightly until these remaining two pins slide into place. Repeat as necessary till done.

PITA if you have to do it, but after doing once I'd guess I could probably do it again in 3-5 minutes, depending on a little luck. I've learned so much reading this forum already, hopefully this might save someone else a little time and headache. Good luck!

Peter
My armrest jumped out yesterday, so I searched the forum and found this post. Dude! your method works like a champ...I got it back in in 30 seconds. Thanks to you!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Utahkompressor
My armrest jumped out yesterday, so I searched the forum and found this post. Dude! your method works like a champ...I got it back in in 30 seconds. Thanks to you!
Awesome! That makes it totally worth the time it took to write up. Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Bless you, bless you, bless you. Three years later this saved my *** and sanity. Done in one minute. Thank you!!!!

Originally Posted by docwonder

Peter
Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 PM

C230
Removing Arm Rest

My wife broke the plastic hinges that upper leather arm rest cover attaches to. Therefore, I need to remove arm rest console. Does anyone know how to remove the upper arm rest console? Thank you much