C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installed AMG sways...bad experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
Installed AMG sways...bad experience

Well my AMG sways and bushings arrived and I went to pick them up and my dealer (Carriage House in Atlanta) apparently marks up everything above retail so they cost 40.00 more than they should have. Not that big a deal. Went to install the front, and one of the bolts holding the bushing cap to the aluminum subframe was cross-threaded at the factory. I got it out and thought about my options... decided against taking it to the dealer and just chased the threads with a tap. Since the bolt goes all the way through the subframe, I was able to put a nut on top as extra insurance although it torqued up ok without any indication of it stripping. Finally got the front done, and went to the rear. Went to take the link bolts off, and 1 of the torx heads had also been stripped at the factory. By now I was beyond pissed. Finally got it off using a 7/16 box end wrench instead of the E14 socket which would not slide on the head because it was messed up. My car must have been built during Octoberfest. Any illusions I had remaining about Mercedes quality are gone, and I realize that I bought an expensive really nice economy car. At least it gets good gas mileage.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about your problems. I knew MB was poorly built, I just got it because it looks cool and I get free car washes and so far it's meeting my low expectations so I'm happy. It's like when I bought a Harley and a Buell, I knew they weren't the best put together/designed motorcycles but I got them because of the free soda and hot dogs on Saturdays! Don't tell them I replaced them with a Suzuki, they'll stop giving me free hot dogs.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Yep, I agree that the key to enjoying this car is to just lower any expectations I might have to the "cheap domestic" level. Then I will feel some degree of satisfaction. I will get some Cavalier badges tomorrow
Old 02-04-2003, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Buell, is all the free stuff pretty common place out there on the other side of the country? Or is it easy for you to find. All I get is free loaner and a free wash when I have service done. Oh and free coffee and donuts... Maybe I need to move to the west coast. I could have saved myself on the shipping of those wheels.

Speedfrk, well at least you got it all done now...
Old 02-04-2003, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All four Orange County, CA MB dealers provide similar levels of service including free car washes every day they are open and it's not raining and free refreshments while you wait. They also provide a large screen TV to entertain you and children's play area. I know Fletcher Jones provides a latte/capucino machine and a bar tender. Afterall, it's a Mercedes, why else would someone buy it?

Did you get my e-mail on the shipping issue?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I just got it, I will respond when I get home from work. I will give you my work address and you can have them sent here. Thanks buddy.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:02 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Question Speedfrk

Other than your stripped bolts experience, were the sways fairly easy to install? Are you satisfied with the improvement in the ride?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:28 AM

C230Kompressor
install / ride

TXTiger,

I just did the AMG Sways on Sunday, and yes, it was simple. It was the first time I've ever been under a car, and it took me about 1 1/2 hrs. More time spent on the jack/jackstands than actually swapping them out.
Ride? f-l-a-t. There's a 20mph (posted), uphill cloverleaf that I tested them on. I was getting out at the top @ 58 mph with only the outside tires barking in stock mode. With the AMG's, I could come out at 74 with all four giving up evenly.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:37 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
They were real easy to install if you have the right tools. You need a set of torx sockets E10, 12, & 14 in addition to a regular set of metric sockets. A couple of jacks for the front, and air tools make it much easier, but not required.
The handling is definately tighter with less roll, but not a huge difference. Ride is unaffected as far as I can feel. The perfect change for me since I didn't want to degrade the ride quality any.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:27 PM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
KOMPRESSORnSC

Where in Charleston are you? I grew up in Mt. Pleasant before moving to Houston after college. I miss it!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 02:48 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by speedfrk
Yep, I agree that the key to enjoying this car is to just lower any expectations I might have to the "cheap domestic" level. Then I will feel some degree of satisfaction. I will get some Cavalier badges tomorrow
I am currently driving a '90 Camry, one of the best made cars, very reliable, but pales in comparison to my C230 (in the body shop), so its either you lower your expectations in build quality, or lower your expectations in value for $$$ and pay more for a better car, or lower your expectations in what you want from a car and get a Camry or Civic. I'll accept the lower build quality, that's what warrantees and free loaners are for.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
Buell, is all the free stuff pretty common place out there on the other side of the country? Or is it easy for you to find. All I get is free loaner and a free wash when I have service done. Oh and free coffee and donuts... Maybe I need to move to the west coast. I could have saved myself on the shipping of those wheels.

Speedfrk, well at least you got it all done now...
All of my local, NJ, MB dealers provide food, drink, and a comfortable waiting area with TV if its a minor problem. Rental cars are always free and Ray Catena will provide a Stretch Limo to and from local places including a local mall, they have a Video Golf simulation with a full 18 holes, sandwiches and 'wraps', along with a waiting room with several TV's.

Erik