C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mass Air Fuel Sensor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 02:14 PM
3_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Unhappy Mass Air Fuel Sensor problem

Anyone experience a Mass Air Fuel Sensor problem with their C240? Well, my new '03 C240 was only 3 weeks old when it began stalling on me. It even stalled at the traffic light, causing a big back log!

Well, after taking it in for service and getting another C240 as a loaner (cool!!), it was fixed within 2 days. Now, it runs fine. I'm just curious though, does anyone think that this is "normal" for a brand new car with only 500 miles???

Just curious...
Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 PM

Parts fail. Even on brand new vehicles. Thats why we have a warranty.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Parts do fail, even brand new ones. Add to that Mercedes' poor quality mass airflow sensors.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:39 PM
3_P

C230
Yeah, I agree with you guys that parts do fail. However, I've been very lucky with my previous Honda Accord, my Toyota Tacoma, my Toyota 4 Runner, and BMW 323i......All these cars and NO problems at all!!! Call that lucky or what??

Last edited by 3_P; 02-06-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by 3_P
Yeah, I agree with you guys that parts do fail. However, I've been very lucky with my previous Honda Accord, my Toyota Tacoma, my Toyota 4 Runner, and BMW 383i......All these cars and NO problems at all!!! Call that lucky or what??
My Accord has given me all kinds of problems (of course, with almost 400,000 miles, who am I to complain?). The SRS warning light came on in my Tacoma 3 months after I bought it. Although thats the only problem I've had with it after almost 80,000 miles.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Almost a Member!

MB C180K Coupe
[i]Tacoma, my Toyota 4 Runner, and BMW 383i......[/B]
An 8.3L 3 series BMW ? Now wouldn't I like to see that !
(ok ok,I know it was a typo.. what a shame though)
Old 03-18-2003, 03:58 AM
3_P

C230
Problem again (3/17/03)

Guys, even after fixing the problem, my car began stalling again. It died out 3 times and completely stalled while driving about 40 mph. All of the warning lights came on and the malfunction stated: "battery/alternator malfunction. See workshop."

So, I decided to just call roadside to have it towed for repair......Gee, I'm really beginning to dislike my MB!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by 3_P
Yeah, I agree with you guys that parts do fail. However, I've been very lucky with my previous Honda Accord, my Toyota Tacoma, my Toyota 4 Runner, and BMW 323i......All these cars and NO problems at all!!! Call that lucky or what??
I would call it quality...not luck
Old 03-18-2003, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Problem again (3/17/03)

Originally posted by 3_P
Guys, even after fixing the problem, my car began stalling again. It died out 3 times and completely stalled while driving about 40 mph. All of the warning lights came on and the malfunction stated: "battery/alternator malfunction. See workshop."

So, I decided to just call roadside to have it towed for repair......Gee, I'm really beginning to dislike my MB!
did it leave you stranded on the side of the road ? this is a brand new car !!?? I haven't had a car leave me stranded since my used 84 Vette 4+3 clutch completely let go.

I'd give thme one more chance to fix it....then dump it or lemon law it (I don't know the particulars).
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 PM
3_P

C230
Bagwell,

Believe it or not, my C240 still has paper plates on it! I bought it in late December, and already brought it in twice for service. Yes, the car was stranded on the side of the road. Heres the embarassing thing: imaging blocking traffice in the middle of a busy intersections, sitting in a Brand new Mercedes with paper plates!!!

The next thing that really pissed me off is that my dealership cannot get me a loaner, end of story. No rental.....nothing! Also, the parts is not availble and needs to be shipped in via FEDEX. So, to my dismay, I'm out of a car (which I'm paying for via Lease) until Friday (4 days)!!! Sad thing for me is that we only have this ONE dealership for Mercedes Benz!!

Totally bummed out.....
Old 03-19-2003, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by 3_P
Yes. I really could give a **** anymore about peoples problems with MB's. They take it so personal, like how dare this car have a problem. Whatever...its an effin car. Get over it.

My C230 has been problem free. My Accord was a royal POS. Burned, leaked oil- and antifreeze. Brakes were ****. Keyswitch even broke in the effin driveway...Ive detailed its NUMEROUS problems (in less than 60,000 miles) on other threads...I have no urge to do so again. It WAS THAT BAD.

Want an appliance? Buy a Maytag.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:02 AM
3_P

C230
I guess we all get our share of effin Lemons... Unfortunately, mine is a Mercdes....
Old 03-19-2003, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Outland
Yes. I really could give a **** anymore about peoples problems with MB's. They take it so personal, like how dare this car have a problem. Whatever...its an effin car. Get over it.

My C230 has been problem free.
I bet you wouldn't feel this way if your C230 had given you the same trouble and left you stranded like this guy's C240....

I've owned a used '84 Vette / new Acura Integra / new Nissan Pathfinder / used Infiniti I30 / used MX6 .....sorry to say the MB has had more probs than ANY of those...well maybe not the Vette but it had 72000 miles on it when I finally sold it (clutch and a/c died-but it was a simple fix...I won't mention the oil leaks ).

point is for a brand new car - it SHOULD NOT LEAVE YOU STRANDED ! IT IS AN EMBARASSMENT !!
Old 03-19-2003, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by bagwell
I bet you wouldn't feel this way if your C230 had given you the same trouble and left you stranded like this guy's C240....
Perhaps...but Ive never seen the attitude like some folks have here. A MB should be perfect, right? And why argue it with me? What will that get you? A better car? Will some Internet fairy send you a new MB under your pillow? Let us know if it pans out, eh?

Write to MB. Don't buy one. Sell your car. I'm sorry, but that's the only incentive any mfr has to improve its cars. VW is a classic example...there quality and reliability has been in the toilet for the last few years, but since the cars keep selling, there's NO incentive to fix the problems.

point is for a brand new car - it SHOULD NOT LEAVE YOU STRANDED ! IT IS AN EMBARASSMENT !!
Yes. But how is more of an embarassment because its an MB? I'm not unsympathetic to people who have car problems, but when they blast the board about what a pos they have, and go on ad naseum about how all MB car's are **** because theirs had a problem, well, I really don't car anymore at that point. And then there's the paranoia bunch...the guys who blast the forumns about a 'problem' that turns out to be not an issue if they had bothered to RTFM. The radio thread is a classic example.

With nearly a half million C-Class cars sold worldwide, some are going to break down...period. That's a fact. That's why all new cars come with warranties. I try to base my opinions of a car or cars on my personal experiences...and to that end, the MB's I remember from my childhood were just as reliable as the one I own now, and easily as reliable -or better- than any of the other cars Ive owned.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:38 AM
3_P

C230

Yes. But how is more of an embarassment because its an MB? I'm not unsympathetic to people who have car problems, but when they blast the board about what a pos they have, and go on ad naseum about how all MB car's are **** because theirs had a problem, well, I really don't car anymore at that point. And then there's the paranoia bunch...the guys who blast the forumns about a 'problem' that turns out to be not an issue if they had bothered to RTFM. The radio thread is a classic example.
[/QUOTE]

Outlander:
Although I appreciate your feedback, I just thought I would let you know that the car stalled again (within a month after the first time) caused by the same problem. Now, I don't know about you, but now I'm certain that my car is a POS (lemon) and will definitely not get another one because of the bad service from my dealership!!

BTW, you'll understand the embarassment when you end up getting a lemon one day...
Old 04-06-2003, 10:09 PM

c230k
3_p, i just sent you a private message regarding car
stalling.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by 3_P

BTW, you'll understand the embarassment when you end up getting a lemon one day...
Oh, Ive had a Lemon before. It was spelled H-O-N-D-A on the back of it. Let me review a few of my issues with you...lets see if you really have a lemon.

Brakes...lots of breaking brakes. Two sets of new rotors for the fronts...new caliper right side. four sets of pads. Rotors turned down twice. Vibration returned everytime. Car leaked and burned Oil. Was leaking/burning over a quart per thousand when I finally dumped it. Burning Antifreeze. Leaking a little too. Guess what was in the oil? Yep, Antifreeze. Surprisingly, the car ran fairly decent. Rust, rust, rust. Bumper came loose after it got tapped by another car. New Altenator.

Here's my favorite. Keyswitch broken in my driveway.

A car that stalls twice isn't a lemon. So, because you are getting bad service, your car is a lemon? Have you tried a different dealer? BTW, you need to give them at least 3 shots at fixing it. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:27 AM
3_P

C230
Originally posted by Outland
A car that stalls twice isn't a lemon. So, because you are getting bad service, your car is a lemon? Have you tried a different dealer? BTW, you need to give them at least 3 shots at fixing it. Good luck.
Yeah, I agree with your comment, however, now I'm getting another malfunction (ESP/BAS malfunction). Anyways, too bad we only have ONE MB dealership in the islands. Question, does the 3 strikes rule have to be the same problem? or can it include different problems??? I better read our lemon laws....Anyways, thanks for the feedback...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:18 AM

Mass air sensor problem with c230 coupe

Hey, so i took my car to the dealership to get worked on and the problem was a busted air mass sensor. They said that they couldnt fix it becasue of my custom exhaust i got. They say that there was too much back pressure from the exhaust and this voided the warranty. This makes no sense. Can an exhaust really bust the air mass sensor? Help please, Thanks! fiy i have a c230 coupe kompressor.