C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Asp Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Disconnecting the battery has a two fold advantage. 1) you need to re-map the ECU to the change and this does it much faster, 2) safety first, it's standard operating procedure to disconnect the battery when working on the motor. Say for example you left the key on and now you are spining the crank with a wrench, the engine can start an you now lost some fingers, maybe an arm. It's up to you but I include this step in my instructions and follow the practice myself.

Like Matt says, the radio is not coded to the car anymore, it's coded to the model, you can switch radios from W203 to W203, try it in another car and PROD will be displayed and the radio is a bust, I know, I did it to my first Audio 10 and back to Germany it went. Moral of the story, don't turn on your radio if every single connector is not attached.

What will happen when you disconnect the battery is when you start the car you will get an ESP malfunction. Turn the wheel lock to lock and it will go away and reset the ESP. The other thing that happens is the auto up on the windows will stop working, open and shut both windows and hold them closed for a few seconds and they are reset. It will log the malfunction but dealers see this all the time as they disconnect the battery for some work so it's no biggy. BTW, this is outlined in the owners manual, you know that huge phonebook size manual that nobody reads.

Lockbuster, what happened to leaving well enough alone, we know you don't like to mod your car, why annoy those that do? There's a guy like you on the SLK forum, ArizonaCharlie, is that you?

Who is Arizona Charlie?

I am just smart enough not to screw with a good thing!

I am old enough not to throw money away on aftermarket items that down grade a vehicle.

I do not have unlimited money from my daddy and mommy!

I worked real hard for my money and I shure as hell not going to **** it away on anything that is already working!

Good By!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FIXEDupW209
so what are the chances of this pulley messing up my car?
Based on current stats on ASP, about 2% but with the new steel hub that should decrease. For those with pulleys put on professionally their has never been a problem.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
great 2% is enough for me but heres my problem.
i live in santa monica and the place is in san diego and although its no problem for me to go to san diego. what if something goes wrong with my car and i want to remove the pulley?
how would i go about doing that?
Old 02-08-2003, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you see Linh in San Diego he'll work with you to install the pulley, after that you'll be able to do it yourself, it's not that hard. Also any European car repair shop should be able to re-install the factory pulley pretty easily. Have you seen my step by step instructions on www.c-coupe.info ?
Old 02-08-2003, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
it seemed kinda complicated but after i see linh install im sure i can do it myself easily.

would i get as much of a hp increase even though my car is sadely an auto?
Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
Ask Jeff how hard it is to get off after it breaks
Old 02-09-2003, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by FIXEDupW209
would i get as much of a hp increase even though my car is sadely an auto?

Automatics don't have as much HP at the wheels to begin with because of the higher drivetrain losses but you'll still get good gains that you'll notice immediately but every car is different. I've seen 15HP gains and I've seen 30HP gains. I've seen cars out of the factory with 176HP and some with 159HP at the wheels. What's good compared to doing intakes and exhausts for power is that the power comes on strong from the begining, you don't have to rev it up to redline to feel it. If you are concerned about power increases, get your car dynoed before you do it and then after.