C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Bordeaux Red scared about 6 speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2003 | 12:20 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by TNblkc230wz
The two I've driven were shift great as well. They both had C7 package with short shifter. Most all manual get smoother once they get a few miles on them.
Actually my car shifted better when it was new. Now it has about 20k miles and the shifting is getting worse. Sometimes I can't even put it in gear at a red light.
Old 02-07-2003 | 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My 6spd shifts fine, but it does take some getting used to. You have to learn it's personality. Mine likes slow, relaxed shifts. Rush it and it'll balk. It gives a lot of feedback. Treat it nice and it'll reward you with a smooth gear change.

As for hill starts; the 2.3 has torque-o-plenty and 1st is so low that it isn't a problem. I've never needed the brake and never stalled (once it was broken in).
Old 02-07-2003 | 02:32 PM

MB C230K
Hill starts - that's interesting. I've always been taught to use the parking brake to make sure the car does not roll backward before I have a chance to engage the clutch. Of course, I was taught on a 1980 Plymouth Horizon!

So are you saying it's ok to just ride the clutch a little harder on a steep hill, preventing the backward roll that way?

--Steffen
Old 02-07-2003 | 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by steffen
So are you saying it's ok to just ride the clutch a little harder on a steep hill, preventing the backward roll that way?
If you wanted to, you could hold yourself with the clutch halfway out and no brakes on, but this will wear out the clutch. You don't have to prevent rolling back unless someone is right on your bumper. Just let off the brake and get going as quick as you can. If someone is on your bumper, just start letting out the clutch first to hold the car and then let off the brake and give it gas. It's easy once you practice it.

Do you use your e-brake in your car now? Isn't it awkward to use it with the floor pedal?
Old 02-07-2003 | 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have always used my brakes to hold me on a hill. Then when I want to move I let the clutch out until it starts to engage and let off the brake and then give it a little gas and let the clucth out the rest of the way. This is how I taught my wife and it limits the amount of wear on the clutch. Since I really do not want to find out how much a clutch is in one of these babies. I have heard the parking brake thing and I like that this car has a pedal, because that is the worst thing to do, think about the brake stiking and the extra wear on it. Plus that is not the intention of the parking brake.
Old 02-07-2003 | 03:46 PM
gab

GO for the 6sp

I have problems placing the gear into 1st at red also, I often have to wait for 1-2 sec after depressing the clutch, then I can smoothly put my shifter in, if not if you immediately put into 1st after the clutch it will be very hard to get in, is this normal? At red light, I often have to shift into 3rd then 1st just because its easier to put into 1st gear from the 3rd gear position at the redlight.

Driving around hilly S.F. the 6sp with the foot-parking brake is a joke, my arm had problem reaching the foot brake release on the slope while controlling the gas and clutch
Old 02-08-2003 | 12:09 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Having owned a 6-speed C240 for about 2 years now (with no problems), I have developed a distaste for it.

I love shifting and would not buy an automatic (of almost any car), however the MB 6-speed is simply geared too low and the gears too close together. First is WAY too low, second is too high to start in. First only goes to 28 mph, second only to 48. This is one of the reasons these cars have a longer 0-60 time than you might expect; it requires you to shift twice to get there, where most other cars is just one shift. In contrast, the new VW 6-speeds run about 38 in first and 60 in second. My wife's New Beetle 1.8T runs 39 and 66 respectively and is a lot easier car to drive (for that reason and the added torque at the low end).

This whole issue is really making me think about seling my MB and going to another (European) manufacturer in a year or so. The new 20th anniversary GTI rocks!
Old 02-08-2003 | 12:50 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Outland
Get the 6 speed- but only with the C7 package. It really does make a difference. I would ignore the whining here...a handfull of problems is not indicative of ALL the manuals. My 6speed shifts perfectly.

If you do have problems...well, that's what the warranty is for. Get the car you want.
If you had gotten a bad one, I suspect you would be "whining" the loudest.

Those of us who did have (me) or still do have (speedfrk) problems have put the info out here in an objective manner so as others can make an informed decision, we are not whining.

In my case I posted what went wrong and that the dealer repaired it promptly and that it has been OK so far.

speedfrk's advice on this thread is the most accurate. Drive the car a lot before you sign the check. Any hint of unusual stiffness going into 1st or 2nd gear and I would steer clear of that particular car.
Old 02-08-2003 | 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by DCXdynodog
If you had gotten a bad one, I suspect you would be "whining" the loudest.
I don't whine about cars...there are better things to do in life. Some people make it there mission in life to warn everyone else about how bad all the other cars must be since they had a problem. If Ive got a problem...I take it to the dealer. They fix it...we go home. So far, Ive had none, save a cracked button on the steering wheel. Most reliable car Ive ever owned- at least so far. Every other car Ive owned has had at least some issues that required trips to the dealer. Heck, my Accord spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway. Yet, this is a car that is supposedly infallible, right?

Those of us who did have (me) or still do have (speedfrk) problems have put the info out here in an objective manner so as others can make an informed decision, we are not whining.
Your comments have been for the most part objective. Its the people who DON'T EVEN OWN ONE that I find to be most annoying. The guy who buys an auto because he can't drive stick and then says "Well, the MB manual is a piece of crap anyway"...that's worse than whining.
Old 02-09-2003 | 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Outland
Every other car Ive owned has had at least some issues that required trips to the dealer. Heck, my Accord spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway. Yet, this is a car that is supposedly infallible, right?
Very true, none of 'em are gonna be perfect, especially with more and more being built in the US.

My brother-in-law's Accord failed an auto trans recently, just out of warranty of course, to my surprise the dealer warranteed it. Have to give them credit for that.
Old 02-09-2003 | 03:24 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Outland
[B]I don't whine about cars...there are better things to do in life. Some people make it there mission in life to warn everyone else about how bad all the other cars must be since they had a problem. If Ive got a problem...I take it to the dealer. They fix it...we go home. So far, Ive had none, save a cracked button on the steering wheel. Most reliable car Ive ever owned- at least so far. Every other car Ive owned has had at least some issues that required trips to the dealer. Heck, my Accord spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway. Yet, this is a car that is supposedly infallible, right?

Hondas are not infallible, Toyotas are Actually, as I was driving my car today (after filling it up with oil and checking the gas), I thought about what a really nice car it is and how much I like it. I would be very happy if MB would trade me out for another one without the problems.
Old 02-09-2003 | 11:38 AM

C320 Coupe
Get the 6-speed and get the C7 package with short shifter. MB uses a very low first gear, just like my RSX. Therefore, first gear syncros may need a little nudging to engage the gear, just like my RSX
Old 02-09-2003 | 01:47 PM

Originally posted by TNblkc230wz
Get the 6-speed and get the C7 package with short shifter. MB uses a very low first gear, just like my RSX. Therefore, first gear syncros may need a little nudging to engage the gear, just like my RSX
Only if your moving too fast.